May 2015 Moms
Options

DONT TAKE ZOFRAN

please please please do not take zofran. It was prescribed to me in the first trimester and at 18 weeks it was discovered that my son had gastroschisis which is a birth defect. Much related to spina bifida, cleft palate, cleft lip etc. zofran currently has hundreds of claims against them for causing serious birth defects. Zofran is NOT FDA approve for pregnant women only cancer patients. Please do not take it through IV at the hospital, pills, or dissolvable pills. My son will have to be taken at birth to have surgery and be in the NICU for up to 4 months depending on the severity. Doctors prescribe zofran because it has not been proven that it causes birth defects but there are several claims against them. Please do not use zofran. I know it's terrible not keeping anything down that's why I took it but would have never done it if I knew it would have caused gastroschisis in my baby boy.

Re: DONT TAKE ZOFRAN

• Options
    I don't know 100% for sure. But why would you take the chance. There are hundreds of claims. I never said it was the cause, I said it could be. Considering hundreds of people had the same problem with their baby after taking it. There is no other known causes for gastroschisis and if hundreds of people's babies are born with it after taking zofran, it must be related. I am just warning mothers that if they take it, it may cause birth defects.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The CDC says that risk factors include younger mothers, particularly white and teenaged, and that using alcohol and/or tobacco increases the risk. So there are other known correlations. I wasn't saying the Zofran didn't cause it. I would just hate for a mother to be scared away from a drug she may need to function. These same law offices promoting these claims also try to sue birth control companies for patients who have blood clots or strokes, when that is a known potential side effect. I just don't want women basing their decisions on one case or the latest lawsuit. 

I wish you luck with your son and will hope for the best for his surgery.
  • Options
    It's approved for use in pregnant women in Australia. And current studies actually suggest a link to marijuana use in both parents and gastroschisis. I'm not at all suggesting this is something you have done, but merely the latest research. It has a teratogenic effect on both male and female gonads. I've nurse dozens of gastroschisis babies and I think maybe 2 of them had taken zofran. Please don't post scaremongering things on a pregnancy forum. As a previous poster said, telling us this now does nothing to change any possible outcome. Any congenital abnormalities form in the first trimester. I'm very sorry you have to go through this with your child and I hope he makes fast recovery.
  • Options
    I'm sorry this is happening to you but unless you know 100% zofran was the cause please use caution in what you post. Everyone on the board is well into their third trimester and many I'm sure have been prescribed zofran so telling us this now does nothing to change what people have or have not done during their pregnancies.
  • Options
    I understand your concern about Zofran because I posted something about it before too. Its true there are lawsuits against it and claims and links about birth defects.

Nobody else has thanked you yet about your post. I don't think it was meant to scare anyone, but just to advise people on the issue.

I myself have taken Zofran and even though there are no known defects in my child I've decided against taking it again even though the nausea has returned.

• Options
    I took zofran for roughly the entire second trimester with my first son and took it from about 6 weeks to the middle of my second trimester this time. No known birth defects either time (so far), but that said, I would never have taken it if I had known there was even a remote unproven possibility.
    A bit frustrated right now because I apparently stupidly assumed that if my OB prescribed it during pregnancy, they were 100% sure it was safe or they should have informed me about any risks. I understand that some people are comfortable with the risk, and I respect that, but for me I would rather suffer for a few months than risk potential suffering for my child in the future. I would have liked to have known back then so that I could weigh the risks of my decision for myself.
  • Options
    We've had a post about this before. Not much any of us can do now since most of us took Zofran in first trimester annnnnnd here we are in the third. I had a hard time taking anything anyway since it grossed me out. I'm not going to worry about it because I can't go back in time.

Our rescued fur babies, Harley and Maya

Pregnancy%20ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP 1/23/14, EDD 10/1/14, M/C 2/13/14 - Forever loved <3
  • Options
    Zofran is prescribed to many many women who would not be able to function during their pregnancies without it. I 100% trust my doctor and when I needed zofran (more than just 1st tri discomfort- truly needed it to get through the day) he willingly prescribed it. I'm sorry for what you're going through with your baby. Your experience is anecdotal though.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    ryemoryemo member
    There is a study showing Zofran is safe enough to be a class C drug. But the researcher behind that study has said that women weren't included in the study who were earlier than 10 weeks and the effects in that most delicate time remain unknown. Maybe Zofran caused this, maybe it didn't, but women do take it lightly (because their provider doesn't discuss risks) and its frequently prescribed. HG may be a good reason to take the risk, but I think women are given it for a lot less and the risks and benefits aren't discussed.
  • Options
    I posted this to let women know that it hasn't been tested by the FDA. And I was NOT made aware of the risks. I am not trying to scare anyone but trying to mAke them aware to ask your doctor about the risks before taking because I didn't. I assumed if my OB prescribed it was safe to take and had no risks. I realize we are all in the third trimester but many of us will be pregnant again so I just want people to ask. Are any of you that took ZOFRAN having boys ? Gastroschisis is more commonly found in boys than girls. Also myself nor my baby's father are user of marijuana.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"