Baby Showers
Options

Long Distanct Shower thoughts?

I posted previously about a cousin of mine and his wife that expecting a few days before dh and I. I talked to her Mom and her MIL (my aunt) and it seems no one is having a shower for her. This probably has something to do with the fact that she was less than gracious when we threw her a Bridal Shower. Either way, my cousin is in the military and they live far away from everyone. I talked to her, and it seems we can't figure out a time to throw a shower because the only time her schedule would allow for it would be on one specific Friday that is in about a month. She already told us that no other day that same weekend would even work.

What are everyones thoughts on a Long Distance Shower? Since they are also having a shower for me, would it be tacky to ask everyone to say a little something on video to let her know we want to wish her the best of luck or even set up a video chat so we can talk to her and include her a bit and let them know if they would like to bring a gift, we will be sending things to her as well? We don't want to make it a gift grab instead of a celebration of the new family. Or do we send more of a pregnancy announcement and let them know if they would like to send a gift or card to send it to a specific address? It's touchy right, because we don't want to offend anyone or make it look like we are trying to be greedy. We just want to do something nice.

We want to give her a shower, but we just don't see how it is possible to do it if she cant be present. Does anyone have any other creative ideas on how to do this?

Baby #2 is due

August 26, 2015

Re: Long Distanct Shower thoughts?

• Options
    neverblushedneverblushed member
    edited March 2015
    If she isn't available to be a guest of honor at her own shower, then you can't throw her a shower.  You've done your best, and it's not going to work out.  You can now walk away from it guilt-free.

If you are so inclined, get her a nice gift either before the baby is born or after.  Others who really want to get her gifts to help her out will do the same.

A shower isn't mandatory.

BTW, how do you know someone will throw you a shower for your 3rd pregnancy in as many years?  
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

That's what I thought. Thank you ladies.

@neverblushed hmmmm, maybe they will throw a sprinkle shower?

Baby #2 is due

August 26, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I only know that are having a shower for me because they told me and since my daughter is 6, we had already passed along all of our baby stuff :/

Baby #2 is due

August 26, 2015

• Options
    VORVOR member

I only know that are having a shower for me because they told me and since my daughter is 6, we had already passed along all of our baby stuff :/

Yes, because it's your friends and family's responsibility to buy you more baby stuff .....  ????

ANyhow, put aside the idea of a long distance shower.  Too bad it won't work out,, but trying to find a way to get people to send her gifts is tacky.  As said, if they want to, they will of their own accord.  And a PREGNANCY announcement?  Ugh, no.  That doesn't need to be "announced". 

• Options

There is a lot of tacky up in hurrr.

• Options
    Maybe you could do a sip and see after the baby is born? Then everyone could meet the baby.

I have participated in a few virtual showers at work. The MTB went on bed rest so we bought presents etc and then only a handful of people brought them all to her apartment, took pictures and showed them to everyone when they got back. I think a virtual shower is OK if a medical reason or extenuating circumstance.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"