April 2014 Moms

Birthday Party Food

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I searched and found nothing. What are you serving for LO's birthday party? We are just having family and a few close friends with little ones. We would like to do just finger foods and things that are easily eaten. So far I'm planning on pizzas, veggie tray, fruit salad and of course cake. Maybe some chips and dip too. I would like at least one more dish. Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: Birthday Party Food

• I'm just doing cold cuts and sandwich fixings, chips, cake, and veggie and/or fruit tray. Keeping it super low key since it's just immediate family.
  • I'm just doing cold cuts and sandwich fixings, chips, cake, and veggie and/or fruit tray. Keeping it super low key since it's just immediate family.

This exactly. When I entertain, I like to be available to hang out with my guests and not be stuck in the kitchen. I'm going to Costco for most of the fixings, and we have a great local bakery where I will order some bread and buns.
  • Loading the player...
  • Costco for the win, @Talltrees82 ! That's just what I'm up to, though I'll make the cake. But only because I want to. I love Costco cake. We had Costco cake for our wedding. Now that I'm talking about it, maybe I will buy a Costco cake and just decorate it myself. Hmmmmmmmm.
  • We'll be having hamburgers and hotdogs, veggie and fruit trays, chips and cupcakes! We're just having grandparents, aunts and uncles and a neighbor.
  • Same as above. I usually ordered pre catered/prepared food from Giant. I want to spend time with my guests. I try to avoid cooking or trying to keep foods warm. Gets too stressful. So, I usually order the same things each time from Giant, lol, they have spinach dip, a veggie tray, a fruit tray, a sandwich tray and then grab a few bags of chips, cookies, drinks and the cake and ice cream.
    happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
  • I'm ordering online with PeaPod so I don't even have to go to the store this time, lol.
  • You guys are way more ambitious than I! I'm doing sheet pizzas and maybe chips and dip.

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Costco for the win, @Talltrees82 ! That's just what I'm up to, though I'll make the cake. But only because I want to. I love Costco cake. We had Costco cake for our wedding. Now that I'm talking about it, maybe I will buy a Costco cake and just decorate it myself. Hmmmmmmmm.

I have not had Costco cake, but I am definitely going to look into it! Yum!
  • Vanilla with the custard filling and buttercream frosting. Only way to go IMHO. ;)
  • We did brunch for DS's birthday in January and it was awesome. Breakfast casserole, waffles, monkey bread, bacon, muffins, fruit salad, cake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're doing BBQ from a local favorite spot. Like others have said, I don't want to be in the kitchen much, so we decided to have someone else cook for us :). It's just immediate family, so it's not a big crowd. I'm pretty excited about it actually
  • We are just having family over for a 2:00 party so that we don't have to feed a whole meal. We are doing a small fruit platter, chips, maybe some cheese and crackers along with cake and ice cream. Both my and DH's parents are divorced and none of them get along really great but we decided when we had kids that we were no longer going to have 4 of each occasion because they didn't want to be around each other. It was really getting out of hand. So we are having a short and sweet bday party. snacks as they arrive then go right into gifts/pictures and wrap up with cake and ice cream. 2 hours tops!
  • We have the same situation @LolaX2 . DH and I both come from divorced families. Separate parties is just crazy. They still pull that at holidays but I finally put my foot down for birthdays. I told them they are all adults, they can sit in a room and be civil for two hours for the kids sakes.
  • We are just doing small snacks, cake and ice cream. I'm all about a short party. What's with people not opening presents these days? That's the best part!
  • We are just doing small snacks, cake and ice cream. I'm all about a short party. What's with people not opening presents these days? That's the best part!

I know! I get of you've rented a place and are short on time, but people have taken the time to pick out something special and I believe it's good manners to open presents at the party.
  • I'm having some light snacks and then catering in from a pizza place (beef sandwiches, pasta, chicken, salad) It's so much easier!

I'm ridiculously excited for this party!
  • We didn't open presents at my twins' first birthday party.  I am debating opening presents this time at DD's first birthday party.  I think the trouble is, often times the one year old falls asleep plus they can't open the presents themselves.  Isn't it a little weird for the parents to just open the gifts?
  • We are getting chicken fingers either from Chikfila or Cane's, and then putting some other stuff out with sea labels, since that is our theme. Chips will be sand dollars, there will be a red pepper octopus crawling out of ranch dressing, carrots will be dead man fingers, celery will be coral, etc. Then we are going to have cupcakes from Tom Thumb.
  • We're doing brunch, egg bake with veggies, French toast bake, yogurt with fruit & granola, rainbow fruit skewers and bacon. We made most of it the night before! Also, it's tomorrow! Eeee so excited!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"