Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

White Noise!? What works for your LO?

For quite a while now I've read about using "white noise" to calm a newborn; up until now I had yet to put it into practice!  I had an epiphany when trying to calm / soothe my DS at nearly 3 am.  I was walking with him and went to the sink to rinse off his pacifier, when I turned on the water it was like I flipped a switch!  The crying stopped instantly!?  :-O My jaw dropped and I maneuvered my phone to download one of those white noise apps I've heard about.  Opened it up and saw "running water" welp, here goes nothing... success!!!  :-bd soon after he was out and slept for a good 4 hours!  

What "white noise" sounds (real or emulated) works to calm / soothe your LO?  Or does white noise not work for your LO at all?!

Re: White Noise!? What works for your LO?

• Options
    We live next to a busy freeway so that creates a decent amount of white noise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I don't have kids yet, but I use a noise app to sleep myself. The one I have is called "relax melodies" and I have the paid version. It has womb, heartbeat, and humming noises that may be especially good for LO. You can also save favorite mixes and layer the sounds.
    Me: 24 FI: 29
    Together since: February 2012
    Getting Married: February 2015
    Starting to TTC: December 2014!
    <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/551ba5">My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I run a fan in our bedroom to create some noise. I've also heard fans reduce the risk of SIDS.

Along with the fan we turn on a projector that plays music while they fall asleep then I turn it off once they fall asleep. I think it helps.

• Options
    TJr42Poppa,

I actually need to get an air purifier (I live close to a freeway)  It's good to know that it will serve dual purpose.   Ped is saying we also may need a humidifier for LO as well.
  • Options
    That's interesting about the fan thing polooo27.  I use a ceiling fan in my bedroom but it's pretty silent.
  • Options
    Ours is a tall oscillating fan. I forgot to turn it on one night and while trying to fall asleep I realized it was missing. I can't fall asleep without it on now.
  • Options
    An old iphone and a free white noise app.
    My husband has recently found that the static of a portable HAM radio also works well.
  • Options
    We use a homedics sound machine on loud all through her naps and nighttime

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    sneakermomsneakermom member
    edited January 2015
    Love this - It's a life saver
  • Options
    GillianB32GillianB32 member
    edited January 2015
    Love this - It's a life saver 
    The link does not work...
  • Options
    Our kid loved the vacuum cleaner, strange!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Lurker here. We use a thing called "The Shusher". It's white and orange and easily portable. It literally makes the shhhhhh noise over and over. Works like a dream! Oh, and you can get it right off Amazon- Prime eligible.
  • Options

We use a homedics sound machine on loud all through her naps and nighttime

This. It's one of the few that will stay on all night (although it has a timer function as well). We use the ocean sounds. DS1 also liked the vacuum - it was loud enough to get him out of his own head during a real screaming fit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LushCLushC member
    :lurking:

We use (and love!) a Sleep Sheep. Amazon and Pottery Barn Kids carry them. They have four sounds to choose from; heartbeat, ocean waves, whales, and hmmm the fourth escapes me at the moment because our LO has always loved the heartbeat. Its meant to simulate how our heartbeats sound to them while in their womb.

Three things that make it our favorite option:

1) It has a timer. You can choose from 23 or 45 minutes and then it turns off on its own

2) It's portable. Runs on batteries (we haven't changed batteries yet and we've used it for 16 months) so you don't have to worry about outlets and you can travel easily with it. This has been an absolute life saver when visiting family. Between the Sleep Sheep and a sleep sack I'm able to recreate LOs sleeping environment even in hotels.

3) It's transitional. It has a built in strap to attach it to the crib/car seat/stroller etc before LO is old enough to snuggle with it. Once little one gets older, it becomes their teddy bear and they can easily push the buttons if they wake up wanting to be soothed.

This is what works best for us but there's a lot of great suggestions here. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"