September 2015 Moms

shot gun wedding?

Hey all I am new here! I'm a FTM at 28 and officially not married. Not a big deal to some but I'm from the "south" and it's still a big deal here with my old Baptist family lol So... despite the fact that I have been with the Father for 10 years, we both have excellent jobs, and planned on all of this happening next year. (I'm half way through my LPN to RN bridge program..like I'm not stressed enough right!) We have decided to go ahead and get married before the baby comes. Our initial plans have been running off to Eureka Springs or to a court house and then next October after we celebrate the babies first birthday we will have a "real" wedding with our friends and family. But now our families are upset because they want to be there for both. My MIL wants me to have a dinner and a cake afterwards but we are afraid if we have too much our real wedding won't be as special to us. Any thoughts or opinions on the matter are greatly appreciated yall!

Re: shot gun wedding?

• Why don't you want a "real" wedding before the baby? I don't really get the two weddings thing, it seems gift grabby to me. (Not trying to be rude--I know plenty of people disagree with me!)
    I'd just do the one before the baby comes. That is what I did actually. Just a small backyard wedding. It was NMS but same deal, my parents were all "you can't go to the courthouse!" And I was a pushover & did what they wanted.
    Anyways, I don't think dinner & cake would take away from the big wedding if you go that route. Good luck whatever you decide!
  • Loading the player...
  • Our pregnancy was a surprise as well but we planned on getting engaged this summer anyway so decided we would get married before the baby is born. I've never wanted a big wedding and shotgun or not always thought I would do the courthouse thing and then maybe a brunch for close family but my mom wasn't having that. We had a family vacation planned for this month so in January when we found out we were expecting my mom decided to throw the wedding onto our vacation. I was ok with it because I figured with it being a destination and only a few months away only a few would come but we're at 80 people now. The wedding is actually next weekend. It's been really overwhelming and stressful and we just keep saying "we just want to be married" and we should have just done it small like we wanted. I'm sure the day will be beautiful and I really am so grateful for everything everyone has done but planning a full wedding while pregnant has made me even more exhausted. I would stick to what you want. Do something small and then your big one. Don't be pushed into something that can bring you more stress! If I could do it again and my family was insistent on the big wedding I would wait till after the baby.
  • Yes! That's what we want civil! We want it special when the time comes but we have too much on our plates right now.
  • You have 1 wedding day... Anything after is considered a vow renewal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You're free to disagree. Doesn't mean you're right.

• v1wwov1wwo member
    edited March 2015
    lmcissne said:

Yes! That's what we want civil! We want it special when the time comes but we have too much on our plates right now.

Yeah, so just do that. Your friends don't even have to know you guys got married. Ours didn't ;)
    I am a wedding photographer so I am around weddings a lot and many people do that now a days. Also, civil weddings don't have to be stressful at all.
  • melewen said:

I have to disagree that the day you get married is your "wedding day". The day you get married is the day you get married! Lots of people get married on one day and have a wedding later. But yeah, I'd say have a small dinner with the family if they really want to, but maybe avoid.. cake? Keep it really small, chill

smh... And what do you think a wedding is? Well let me look that up for you... 1.
    the act or ceremony of marrying; marriage; nuptials.
  • viwwo said:

lmcissne said:

Yes! That's what we want civil! We want it special when the time comes but we have too much on our plates right now.

Yeah, so just do that. Your friends don't even have to know you guys got married. Ours didn't ;)
    I am a wedding photographer so I am around weddings a lot and many people do that now a days. Also, civil weddings don't have to be stressful at all.
    Not telling people they are witnessing a fake wedding is even worse than having the fake wedding.

I agree. I'd be very hurt and pissed if I attended a wedding in which the bride and groom were already married but didn't tell anyone and then later found out.
  • Sorry OP, this is a tough one because what you want seems like a simple and reasonable thing, but think about it you could lie and never tell anyone that you got married, but really would you lie to your entire family just to have a big fancy wedding?  That seems odd and over the top if you ask me.  The reason your family is pushing this civil ceremony into a wedding is because it IS THE WEDDING.  People (particularly your close family) want to be apart of the day you get married. Everyone likes a party too, but your family wants to be there on the actual day.

What I suggest is that you throw the wedding you can afford now (civil ceremony, tea and cake or dinner if you can afford it) for a small group and then have a reception (no ceremony please, much more casual) down the road.  Otherwise you wait and have the big wedding later.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My cousin got secret married last April and is having a huge wedding in July. Everyone is confused about it and just kind if eye rolling behind their backs. I mean didn't want everyone there for your real wedding but want to do something a year later? Kinda weird. Also not being married when you have a baby is not an issue at all. It doesn't make you a bad person. Who cares what others think? Its demeaning to women that choose not to get married but still be mothers that something is wrong with them. There's nothing wrong with it.
  • I agree with off2thefunnyfarm. My DH and I were not pregnant but we just decided we were tired of waiting and wanted to be married and live together. We invited about 30 people to our wedding at a beautiful overlook and then just had a firepit/BBQ potluck afterwards. Nearly a year later we had just a reception with more family and friends to celebrate our marriage. No fancy wedding/ceremony, just a reception and I wouldn't chance one thing about it.
  • WDDCHWDDCH member
    Everyone that I know who gets legally married in a courthouse and says they'll do a ceremony later... it doesn't happen. They end up putting that money toward a home, baby expenses, vehicle, etc. I guess I just don't get the whole idea of splitting it up.

You could plan a quick and beautiful wedding before baby. Or wait until after baby is born. Are you considered "common law" anyway right now?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • adtaylor2015adtaylor2015 member
    edited March 2015
    I'm probably in the minority here but I would just have one wedding and I would wait until October and forego the civil union. But then again I don't see the rush to hurry and get married before the baby comes along. Just my opinion.
  • Get married now and have a vow renewal/marriage blessing next year. Or wait until next year to get married.
  • viwwo said:

lmcissne said:

Not telling people they are witnessing a fake wedding is even worse than having the fake wedding.

I agree. I'd be very hurt and pissed if I attended a wedding in which the bride and groom were already married but didn't tell anyone and then later found out.
    I would be furious. A friend of mine went to a fake wedding after the couple eloped months before. All the guests found out later and it caused a huge fight.
  • A friend of mine just had a civil ceremony a few weeks ago, no one really knew about it until last minute. But they're having a big reception the end of May for all family and friends. Do whatever you two want to do! Don't worry about anyone else, they'll deal with it and support you cause they love you! Congrats!!
  • v1wwov1wwo member
    A wedding is what you want it to be. I'm not traditional I guess and I am blessed that my husband and I had understanding parents and cool friends that had a good laugh about it (and some of them did the same thing as we did) Just because it not follow some rule does not make it any less meaningful.

I don't consider my civil wedding as the big day because I don't see anything romantic about waiting in line at a government building just to sign some papers. To me my real wedding was 9 months later when my friends and family came together and our dog was the best man (there were about 8 dogs there lol.. A mad house.) So September 28 2012 is what we and all that know us view as the day we were married and December 9 2011 was what helped us pay for our wedding.

A couple should be able to do what they feel is right with out being judged or pressured in to doing something they don't want to. And if people would role their eyes or get in to fights because of how we got married then I don't think I want them to be there or be part of my life.
  • sugarmagn0liasugarmagn0lia member
    edited March 2015
    I honestly think you should do what you want to do. I'm not one to be pressured by my family (though they don't try, so I suppose I'm lucky haha). SO and I have been long term together (not ten years though, wow, congrats :) ), live together and everything else. Nobody in our family really gives two shits if we're married or not. Except maybe his grandma, but I think we were together all of a month before she decided I was the one for him, and we ought to be married haha. I think if you want to do a civil ceremony now, and then a wedding/vow renewal/whatever the heck you want to call it later, more power to you! I think if what you really want it to wait and just do your wedding in October when your little one is one like you want to do, do it. From my perspective: if your family doesn't like, tough. Then again, I'm lucky enough to know that my family will support what I want to do, even if it isn't their choice - I don't know if you have that luxury, so it may be easier said than done. Bottom line? The baby is in there anyway, so it isn't like you can go back and get married before you conceived, right? ;) Maybe if they see the planning process really start going on the wedding and things starting to get set, they'll be a bit more appeased? I just hope you end up doing whatever it is you really want to do!

*Spelling edit!
  • What's the rush to get married before baby comes? 

My cousin did something sort of similar, married his girlfriend soon after they found out she was pregnant.  My uncle, his dad was friends with a judge so he just had the judge over and immediate family came over to see them get married.  Then they had a big wedding a few months later about a two months before baby was due.  But the reason they got officially married very quickly is so his girlfriend could be on his health insurance, her insurance was pretty bad and being Type I diabetic and pregnant can get expensive fast.  But you said you are all pretty well established, so I really don't get the need for both here.
  • I'm waiting till after the baby to have my wedding. It would have been nice to been married beforehand but now I'd rather wait till I'm not so stressed and feeling like myself again.
  • barrelocarolbarrelocarol member
    edited March 2015
    @Knottie00400192 YES! Exactly!

Love the Petty Betties ;)

We got married after 4 months of knowing each other; we went to the courthouse. That was our wedding day bc we became husband and wife. That's what it meant to us. A year later, we had friends and family for a super low key "party" bc I wanted to wear a white dress for my husband.

That was our story. We loved it. We didn't care what our family/friends thought...and our families absolutely LOVED it. (We told everyone no gifts) Get married for the reasons YOU want.

Don't listen to all of this "why do you want to do that" stuff. YOU two are the only two in that marriage.

Big big big congratulations!!!
  • I'm in a very similar situation. I have been with my fiancé for 8 years next month (high school sweet hearts). We got engaged right before we found out I was pregnant (New years day). We were planning on having the wedding next year. After finding out about the baby, my family was pushing the wedding to be before baby way born as well. But we don't feel the need to rush. We are just going to postpone having the wedding until after the baby, like it would have originally been anyways. There's nothing wrong with waiting until after you have the baby, but it's whatever you feel comfortable with. Me and my man love each other more than anything and getting married before or after baby is born isn't going to change anything for us, personally. However, if you do decide to get married before the baby comes, I'd personally have the actual wedding with it, family and all. But it's completely up to you and your fiancé, whether you get married now, get married later, 10 years from now, whatever! It's whatever makes YOU happy. You've been together for 10 years!!!! That's longer than most marriages last!! You have nothing to prove to anyone. Good luck in your decision girl! And congrats on the engagement and the wedding ;):D <:-P
  • Do whatever makes you happy, but I have to agree that the day you get married is your wedding day. I had a friend get married at the courthouse the day after she got engaged (no particular need to rush, just wanted to), which was fine, but then she wanted a Bachelorette party, a shower, and a second big wedding. It all just felt a little weird and fake. I did have another friend get married in Vegas and they later had a reception, not a wedding ceremony, just a celebration. I thought that made more sense.
  • DH and I were engaged for 6 months before I got pregnant with DD #1. We kept our plans and got married when she was 5 months old. It was so cool having her at the wedding and also made the engagement go by very fast! I was so happy to wait and enjoy the special day, drink champagne and have the perfect flower girl !
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"