Natural Birth

Questions for 3+ Mums

So I'm pregnant with our 3rd baby (had a miscarriage last year). I'm only 7 weeks along but am starting to think about delivery.

I've heard it said that second deliveries are typically faster than the first, but that the 3rd delivery follows no rules, and can be all over the place.

So just curious was your 3rd delivery faster/easier than your previous ones? Harder? Somewhere in between?

I know no one can predict what kind of delivery I will have, but I've had two straight forward vaginal births. The first was 7 hours active labour, the second was 2hrs active labour. Both with a longish gradual build up prior to becoming active. It's so easy to assume that another birth would be very similar, but I understand that anything can happen.

So am just curious what other people's experiences have been.
Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: Questions for 3+ Mums

• From the people I know I have found that every delivery has been completely different. Second labours are not always faster and third labours can go either way. My third child needed to be induced while my first and second babies came on their own with labour lasting about the same amount of time for each of the first two. (induction was for medical reasons)
  • Just wanted to say congratulations!  So happy for you!!!

I asked my MW at my first appointment with this one and she said pretty much what you already know.  Second labors are usually faster than the first, but she said they call the third the wild card.  So obviously I have nothing to add here, just wanted to congratulate you! 
  • Loading the player...
  • All my labors have been relatively the same - between 14-16 hours from onset (ctx or water breaking) to birth, sporadic contractions until transition, about 2 hours between the start of transition and baby being born. I kind of hoped that I would go a little faster, but I think the gradual build-up helps make it tolerable, kind of eases you into it so to speak. 

Also, the first two were early (38w and 37w5d gestation) and the third made me wait for it - 40w1d. \

Congratulations!!
    image        image
  • I've given birth five times. They're all different. My first two I had epidurals and both were born two days before their EDD.

My third was my first natural birth (but in a hospital). My water broke at home without warning about five days post EDD. She was born a few hours later.

Fourth was freestanding birth center a few days post EDD. I feel his labor was longer. He was my biggest at 9lbs2oz.

Last guy born at home, in water (first homebirth and waterbirth) six days before his due date (never had a cervix check the entire pregnancy or birth so no one swept membranes - he just came sooner than expected). His was fast and furious. I would have preferred slow and steady. It was the most intense birth.

Don't know what to expect this time. That's part of the fun, right?! Each baby writes his or her own birth day story.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank ladies.

Like I say it's so easy to assume that a 3rd delivery will be like the previous 2, especially as they were both born at 40 weeks, 5 days with the same pattern of labour.

Interesting my sister delivered all 3 of her babies 10 days early with very similar labours.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see just like everyone else.

Really I would just like another uncomplicated labour.

• I've had 3 babies.

1st baby: water broke at 2 am, had him at about 10:30 am. As soon as my water broke, contractions gradually increased in strength, so I'd say about 6 hours of hard, painful labor. (Born at 39 weeks, 3 days)

2nd baby: water broke at 4 am (with blood in it). Had him by 6:30 am. So much quicker, and the contractions started hard right after water broke. (Born at 38 weeks)

3rd baby: woke up at 9 am feeling crampy and losing mucus plug. Contractions very slowly increased throughout the day. Went to hospital at 3 pm, had him at 6:45 pm. So active labor was around 3 hours. (Born at 39 weeks, 4 days)

I'm also very curious as to how this 4th labor will play out! I guess you never know.
  • Congratulations!!  I've had 4 babies and with each one I've always wondered the same thing.  I was also nervous about "the wild card." 

My first birth (HB) was 4 hours long at 37 weeks exactly. 

My 2nd was also at 37 weeks but was a placenta abruption (not in labor) so it was an emergency c-section.

My 3rd (HBVBAC) was at 38 weeks and was 2 1/2 hours long.

My 4th (HBVBAC) was at 38 weeks and 50 minutes long & obviously my CNM was on her way and missed it (but was on the phone for the entire time as I didn't feel the need to call 911).  I did not push at all with this labor and side labored in an attempt to slow it down because I just wanted my CNM there.  However, because of my fast labors she's always prepared us for in case the midwife doesn't arrive in time so we weren't freaking out.

CLEARLY, I have short births and with each birth they go shorter.  With babies 3 & 4, my body literally waited until my kids were tucked into bed until contractions started.  Best of wishes to you for a beautiful & healthy birth!!
  • I'm also concerned about this. Congrats! I've followed your posts on here for years! Best of luck for an uncomplicated and peaceful birth experience. 
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• I'm also concerned about this. Congrats! I've followed your posts on here for years! Best of luck for an uncomplicated and peaceful birth experience. 

@TrendyTina Thank you. It's funny being reminded that I have in fact been on this site for years and years, but I know what you mean about following people's stories. 

Best wishes to you for a peaceful birth as well!

• Baby #1 - 5 hours from water breaking (no contractions prior) to birth

Baby #2 - 1 hour from water breaking to birth (lots of contractions from 17 weeks on, but nothing regular, timeable or more than annoying)

Baby #3 - 39 minutes from water breaking to birth (lots of irregular, annoying contractions from 20ish weeks on, some more intense contractions the day before but nothing regular)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Congratulations on baby # 3.    I think it's a little unusual that so many ladies on this board have had precipitous births, on average about 2% of births are consider precipitous, so I think you'll likely be alright since you don't have that prior history of 2-3 hours from onset of labor to the baby in the arms.  

Baby #1 - water broke at 35 weeks, contractions started 16 hours after water broke, and time from contractions starting to baby was 14 hours  - this was really easy to record since I was in the hospital on continous monitoring

Baby #2 - about 6.5 hours from time of first contraction till  baby, it's more difficult when  your water doesn't break to be sure of times

Baby #3 - about 6-7 hours from time of first contraction, ironically this birth was labeled as precipitious because the doctor wasn't present when I started pushing(involuntarily) and delivered 

So in my limited experience - Labor 2 & 3 were similiar and 1/2 the time of labor 1.  It's good that you seem to have a gradual build up so you'll have an idea what's coming, even if the active labor tends to be short and intense. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am currently pregnant with baby number four. It seems like each of my labor and deliveries were faster. baby number 3 was like something you would see only in the movies. My water broke 15 minutes later I started having excruciating contractions, we jumped in the vehicle and went to the hospital which is only a 10 minute drive away. As soon as they checked me at the hospital they said I was ready to push and the baby was out a few minutes later. I think I had contractions for a total of 30 minutes. It was crazy fast and to be honest it's quite scary. I didn't know things really happened that quickly, only in the movies :-) if he eats baby comes quicker than the next we might have to do a home birth for baby number 4 :-) lol
  • Congrats, Kate! 
    I'm pg with #3 myself and hoping it's another non-eventful labor like #2. I'm sure you'll be fine! My mom had five babies and all her labors were straight-forward and relatively quick. 
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• @Katelouise CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited to see you are pregnant. I am sorry about your miscarriage last year, I have been off the boards as we stopped trying. But I got a miraculous BFP on last THursday so fingers crossed. I am just so happy for you!!!!

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• @HeathernSteven @nosoup4u

Thanks ladies. We're pretty excited for our 3rd baby.

Congratulations to you guys as well!! HeathernSteven, what a wonderful surprise for you and hubby, best wishes to you both for a H&H 9mths.