Baby Showers

HELP! baby shower food

My mother and I are hosting a baby shower for my sister. It is her first child. We are expecting about 70 people, and are stuck on what to do for food. Any suggestions? It's at 1 in the afternoon. What have some showers you've been to had for food? We thought about sandwich subs but they're $12 for only 8 pieces, with the number of people we are expecting that can be quite expensive! Open to any suggestions, thanks.

Re: HELP! baby shower food

• 1:00 isn't really a meal time - do you think people would expect lunch? I would go more fruit and cheese trays, veggie and dip/hummus, salami/lunch meat tray, bread/crackers. But yes, food for 70 is expensive!
  • I would expect lunch if I attended a shower at 1. If you moved the time to 2, however, I would expect light refreshments, and something more like a high tea (sweets and finger sandwiches). If you stick with 1, remember that many pregnant women do not eat lunchmeat, so sandwich subs may not be a good option. How about pulled pork or other hot sandwich filling in a slow cooker (s), maybe some soups in a slow cooker, veggies, quiche, etc.

If you're having the event at your house, will you have seating for 70? If you're serving food, everyone should be able to sit and eat.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with changing the time so you could serve lighter food. Possibly finger foods, like cruites, fruit, deviled eggs, cupcakes, cheese and crackers? My aunt is making baked ziti, among some other things for my shower coming up (mostly brunch food) but baked ziti is pretty easy and inexpensive to do and could feed a lot of people easily.

FTM & TEAM BLUE!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Definitely serve a full meal if the shower is at 1, but you could probably make sub platters for cheaper than $1.50 each. Of course, you'll also need side dishes. At the end of the day, a meal for 70 is going to be expensive.
  • You could buy or make tortilla roll sandwhiches cheaper than subs. We had a 3pm shower with a large turnout and had these, a veggie and fruit tray, cheese and crackers and cake not that much was eaten.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FemShep said:

I would expect lunch if I attended a shower at 1. If you moved the time to 2, however, I would expect light refreshments, and something more like a high tea (sweets and finger sandwiches). If you stick with 1, remember that many pregnant women do not eat lunchmeat, so sandwich subs may not be a good option. How about pulled pork or other hot sandwich filling in a slow cooker (s), maybe some soups in a slow cooker, veggies, quiche, etc.

If you're having the event at your house, will you have seating for 70? If you're serving food, everyone should be able to sit and eat.

Maybe you don't but many pregnant women, including many on the Bump, do eat deli meat. The risk of listeria is so miniscule from listeria it is more likely from fruits and veggies
  • DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited March 2015
    Most deli meat also has nitrates which aren't great for pregnant women either. Most delis also offer grilled chicken / chicken salad which is a good alternative.
  • FemShep said:

I would expect lunch if I attended a shower at 1. If you moved the time to 2, however, I would expect light refreshments, and something more like a high tea (sweets and finger sandwiches). If you stick with 1, remember that many pregnant women do not eat lunchmeat, so sandwich subs may not be a good option. How about pulled pork or other hot sandwich filling in a slow cooker (s), maybe some soups in a slow cooker, veggies, quiche, etc.

Maybe you don't but many pregnant women, including many on the Bump, do eat deli meat. The risk of listeria is so miniscule from listeria it is more likely from fruits and veggies

Yes, I'm aware of that, thanks. That's why I said "many pregnant women do not each lunchmeat", just like many pregnant women do, and they "may not be a good option". For me personally. I avoid it not because of listeria but because the though makes me want to vomit-for some reason lunchmeat is tied with chicken as my biggest food aversion right now. A gracious shower host who has never been pregnant before might not be aware that some doctors recommend against eating lunchmeat, and I wanted to be sure OP considered that info in planning her menu.
  • Make sure you have options that your guest of honor will be comfortable eating but by no means does your entire menu have to be "pregnancy approved". 1:00 is lunch but I think you could do brunch food and nobody would think anything of it (salad, chicken/broccoli/ziti, quiches, selection of muffins and scones with jam, etc.) - I would hit up Costco and see what they have. As PPs have said, feeding 70 people is going to be pretty expensive no matter what but you can cut costs by making some of the food yourselves.
  • I expect a meal at a shower, no matter the time - and more than just a sandwich.
  • teeveemom said:

I expect a meal at a shower, no matter the time - and more than just a sandwich.

I agree! I definitely side eye showers that do not at least provide a meal, it just seems like courtesy to me. I am also bothered when people do an in between meal times just to avoid feeding me. And while wine/drinks are a whole other topic... I always appreciate when showers have some sort of adult beverage option, even being pregnant now and not being able to partake lol. It just seems like good hosting etiquette to try and provide a good time for your guests.

I think this is why showers have gotten such a bad wrap. I know way more people that loathe them rather then enjoy them. It's turned into: bring a gift, have a sandwich (if you're lucky) play a game you've already seen 1000x, take your cupcake and go (before the posted end time... which I despise most of all) Let's try and make these fun again!!! Have some good food, offer wine and come up with something original... and for God sakes, don't tell your guests when to leave!!!
  • 100% agree with pp ..,.if you can't provide an adequate meal for 70 people, you shouldn't be inviting 70 people
  • Never did I once say we could not provide an adequate meal for 70 people, I was asking for suggestions for meals!
  • Italian is always a good choice since it's filling. Get a variety of pasta trays and salad to go with it. I usually like to do some apps too, so people have something to munch on/something to do before the meal. Even just veggies/dip etc. A taco cart is also a great idea, since they do all the work!!!
  • teeveemomteeveemom member
    edited March 2015
    epratt315 said:

Never did I once say we could not provide an adequate meal for 70 people, I was asking for suggestions for meals!

You suggested ordering a hero
  • The last 2 showers I have been to were potlucks with the host providing a big pretty cake. I like potlucks because everyone can have something since si many people are picky eaters these days. If you dont want to go that route I say make sandwich trays yourself and have fruit and veggie trays. Or maybe its just the hormones but salad bread and lasagna are a good option as well as long as everyone can sit to eat, make a few meat ones and vegetarian ones and everyone is happy
  • Asking people to bring food to a shower is beyond rude. Same goes for serving a measly hero and salad.
  • I disagree with most pp. Most showers I have been to were in the afternoon and just had light apps and cake. That's all I would expect. Mini quiches, chips and dip, finger sandwiches and salad. I have never seen a full meal or heavy apps in my circle.
  • How on earth did you get stuck with 70 people?! Lol! I'll probably end up with three small-separate showers, and there won't be 70 people combined. I had a giant bridal shower and I hated it!! Too many people, not enough time to talk to guests, I didn't even get to eat any food! Opening the presents took forever and was really awkward! LOL

Think about serving pasta, bread, fruit, vegetables, chips and dip, cake?! I think a build your own pasta bar would be really cool and affordable!! Have different kinds of pasta, then a couple different kinds of marinara, Parmesan cheese, homemade meatballs!! That could be really yummy! It'll fill people up! I think you'll get the most bang for your buck for feeding 70 people!!!! Good luck and let me know what you decide to serve! I'm curious!
  • Right now if I had to throw a shower or if my family asked me what I wanted for food at my baby showers I would say brunch as it's my absolute favorite! My second but certainly not least I would have chipolte catering. Who the heck doesn't like chipolte. My hubby might even come for that :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I disagree with most pp. Most showers I have been to were in the afternoon and just had light apps and cake. That's all I would expect. Mini quiches, chips and dip, finger sandwiches and salad. I have never seen a full meal or heavy apps in my circle.

This is the same for me. I ahe been to many baby and wedding showers and have never had a full meal. Usually heavy apps and cake. There has always been plenty of food, but never a sit down meal.
  • I hate alcohol at baby showers. I also don't have a problem with sandwiches and finger foods being served. Just as many of you call women gift grabby for requesting certain gifts, guests shouldn't expect a 7 course meal to be served. Don't show up to a shower hungry.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited April 2015
    crason said:

I hate alcohol at baby showers. I also don't have a problem with sandwiches and finger foods being served. Just as many of you call women gift grabby for requesting certain gifts, guests shouldn't expect a 7 course meal to be served. Don't show up to a shower hungry.

@crason  May I ask why you are opposed to alcohol at baby showers? Are you opposed to alcohol in general or just baby showers?  I'm curious? 
  • Alcohol is a necessity at any gathering, including a baby shower. No one has to be doing shots but a mimosa? Yes please.
  • None of the baby showers I have been to served alcohol. Also most people brought their babies and a few kids. So I don't think it is appropriate in that situation. Plus it is very costly for the host.
  • None of the baby showers I have been to served alcohol. Also most people brought their babies and a few kids. So I don't think it is appropriate in that situation. Plus it is very costly for the host.

The baby showers that I have been to are mostly adult only (with the exception of tiny babies) or little girl cousins. While I've never seen a full bar, mimosas or wine is pretty much the norm.
  • For that many people I'd go too Costco :)