August 2015 Moms
Options

"Was it planned?"

I'm at that point where I'm starting to tell more people about my pregnancy. A question I hear a lot is "was it planned?". This question is really starting to bother me!! I would NEVER think to ask anyone that! Why does it matter if it was planned? I thought people would be able to figure it out since I'm almost 30, been married for over a year, and just bought a bigger house. I guess people are just nosey.
What other questions have you ladies been hearing that you're tired of answering?

Re: "Was it planned?"

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jesigirlijesigirli member
    edited February 2015
    Mostly people are shocked that we're expecting. Usually they say things like "Oh I/we didn't think you were going to have kids" I assume this is because I'm 30, DH is 36, and we've been together for 9 years and married for almost 6, and we live in a rural place where people usually get married and start having babies right after HS. We've also gotten "Oh we thought you were just going to have wiener dogs/dachshunds/dogs." Like it's one or the other? We have gotten a few "was it planned," and I try to put on my best are-you-seriously-asking-me-that face when I say yes. 

I never understand the question "Do you want a boy or a girl?" Umm...I'll just take what I get, thanks, I just pray for a healthy baby.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our pregnancy was not planned. We haven't told anyone yet outside of family but I'm not looking forward to the "was it planned" questions and the "oh I didn't think you guys wanted kids" statements that I know we're going to get from a lot of our friends that have zero filter.
  • Options
    I'll add to my comment above we've been married for 5.5 years and get the "oh you must have gotten married young!" Comments all the time too. I don't think the comments will ever stop no matter the topic!
  • Options
    I hate the was it planned or were you trying... RUDE!
  • Options
    Not so much a question I get but or DS is asked all the time if he wants a baby girl or baby boy. Like he has a choice. Honestly he is three, he is just figuring out that boys and girls are different- and could care less.
  • Options
    My MIL told me since by butt has grown I am having a girl. I was so happy when we were told it is a boy, just so I could rub her sorry comment in her face.

Another one that pisses me off is "Was this a honeymoon baby?". My husband and I got married in November and pregnant, but it was NOT on our honeymoon!
  • Options
    We get that all the time! My hubs and I went thru a rough patch last year (7 yr itch/crazy) and things have been back on track since last summer - so people are constantly wondering if it was planned. We have a dd that is 6 and we didn't want them to be too far apart, so yes it was planned. My coworkers are the worst! One of my managers actually asked me if I was happy or mad. I told her a baby was a blessing and if she could keep a man longer than a month she may be able to experience that on her own some day. Whoops - hormones. We also recently found out that we are having another girl, so we also have been getting the "oh I'm sorry...are you going to try again for a boy?" My new fav response to that is that we are planning on just trading someone for a boy in the hospital. :)
  • Options
    I got "you had to be trying!" "Was it planned?" "That was stupid, seeing how your first is autistic, you will be taking away from her now by having another one", and my all time favorite "how are you going to handle school and a baby?" ... They seem to have forgotten that I got pregnant my second semester into college, I continued to go and graduate (just graduated in July!), decided to Persue business for my BA, and 2 days after orientation I found out I was pregnant. We weren't trying, it wasn't planned. Our protection methods failed us lol. And I find it incredibly rude for people and family to call me stupid for having another baby just because my first has autism. I'm sorry but my life already is consumed by therapy for her but I'm not going to STOP my life because of it! Geez!! And she isn't like low functioning either, she just doesn't talk.

Some people... They just say what comes to mind. It's not like I have any help anyway from these people with their opinions so I don't see how it concerns them ;) my life, my family. You don't like it, don't try and stick your nose in it ;) just my opinion lol
  • Options
    Yea.. People ask ridiculous things.. We also get comments about our children being close in age.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options
    My MIL has asked twice while we got together as a family in a restaurant, "So what? Did the condom break or did you just forget to take your pill?" Really? You are asking that in your loud-ass voice in a public place? No, baby wasn't planned, but why can't people understand that those questions are entirely inappropriate?!

My MIL has also asked, upon finding out that I was having a girl, "Doesn't that kind of upset that you aren't having a boy then a girl? So the big brother can be protective over his little sister?"
    :-w She had a son and then a daughter--four years apart. My husband never got along with his little sister. My older brother would hold me down and fart on me until I passed out. I don't know where she got this Hallmark version of brothers and sisters.

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We've gotten this, but it doesn't bother me. Most of our family thought we didn't like children. We sort of bolstered this opinion because we were uncomfortable talking about our fertility issues. But now we're open about them.
  • Options
    I've gotten: "was it planned?" "How old are you again?" (I'm 22 and have been married for over 2 years) "Are you going to vaccinate/other procedures?". I'm just like seriously, how does any of this concern you? I also hate unwelcome belly touchers...ugh.
  • Options
    I had someone ask me that when I was pregnant with my first. It was the owner at a B&B we were staying at. I went into a crazy hormonal blunder over it and was really insulted. I'll never get why anyone would think to ask that!
  • Options
    I hate the questions. Or the gender guesses. I really love the I thought you were pregnant. I look bloated! Love my female co-workers.

I hate the are you getting tests done, you know you should Incase baby has a problem.

First off I love children no matter if they perfectly healthy to a puzzle we have to work with.

I am almost done with my masters in ABA.
    We are not gettin. Testing done, and are ready for whatever God blesses us with.

I love the "eating for 2"

I eat when I am Hungary, I try small meals and so have gained a pound. I think I'm doing well for being almost 14w.
  • Options
    You have no idea people accused me of getting pregnant before I was married and the only reason I got married is because I was pregnant! I had a freakin honeymoon baby! Sheesh get off my back! I got married in November 22nd In December I found out I was pregnant! But regardless if it happened before I got married it's none of their business!
  • Options
    Surprisingly nothing so far.  But I remember soon after DS was born my cousin's Aunt told me, "You have a girl and now a boy, so you can be done!"  Uhhhh, boy or girl has no bearing on how many children we will have.
  • Options
    So far the only person who asked me if it was planned was one of my graduate instructors. I got the impression that she wouldn't choose to get pregnant while in grad school and working but it wasn't her decision
  • Options
    I would ignore anyone who asked me that. its none of their business! I was very honest with my close family and friends and told them that it wasn't planned, but we couldn't be happier with the pregnancy :) planned or not planned, its a wonderful thing, and as long as you are happy who cares what anyone else thinks!
    Always hold on to hope ❤
  • Options

My kids will only be 20 months apart so the planned questions is always first. We were not preventing anything. It took us almost 4 years and countless medical procedures/medications to have our first. Who would have thought the second would come so quickly? We are blessed and excited and everyone who doesn't get that has no place in our lives.

I love the "Do you know what you are having?" question. Well, we were hoping for puppies but it's probably just another human.

I've replied with the puppy comment before! Haha
  • Options
    I understand that certain questions can be really inappropriate and sometimes downright mean such as those regarding weight gain and size, but I really don't find anything offensive with questions such as do you know what you're having, would you like to know, was it planned, how far along are you, etc. especially from friends and family Or even coworkers if you are with them every single day and usually share some info regarding your personal life, family, etc. Sure, sometimes someone can stick their foot in their mouths but I like to look at it as them caring enough and being interested in this part of my life enough to ask questions and be curious...

Baby Boy 4.8 kg, 55 cm born 10.31.2010 
    Expecting #2  8.16.2015 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

My kids will only be 20 months apart so the planned questions is always first. We were not preventing anything. It took us almost 4 years and countless medical procedures/medications to have our first. Who would have thought the second would come so quickly? We are blessed and excited and everyone who doesn't get that has no place in our lives.

I love the "Do you know what you are having?" question. Well, we were hoping for puppies but it's probably just another human.

That's so exciting that you got pregnant so fast the second time!! I've heard of that happening. Also, I don't think the "Do you know what you are having" question is a bad question- that's clearly a question of "boy" or "girl", right? I think answering "human" would sound a little rude. 
  • Options
    I was actually asked by a coworker, "were yall trying long or was this a surprise?" I didn't really know how to respond. It just made the question seem twice as rude! Btw my response was "ummm, not really"
  • Options
    BIL said "is that when (DS) started saying uh-oh?" I was furious but too stund that I didn't even respond. Just game him a death stare.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    "OMG I was wondering when you two were going to get pregnant.".... Really? we got married on November 8 and found out we were expecting on December 7... you couldn't have been wondering long....

and have gotten the reaction, "Oh....is this ok? like, are you ok?" . I started taking prenatals months beforehand. I'm good. 
  • Options
    Yes!  I have been really surprised by the number of people who've asked "were you trying?"  Also, several people have asked how long it took for me to get pregnant.  Really?!  And these are not close friends and family.  These are acquaintances and coworkers.  Granted, it did not take us very long to get pregnant, but still....If it had taken months or years, I really wouldn't want to discuss my fertility issues at the water cooler!
  • Options
    "What's  the  sex* i just  finally  said im not sharing im keeping  it to myself. Its annoying  especially  when they say what they hope im having which REALLY  pisses my off lol cause they're  not  going  to babysit  my baby or try  to  hang out as much after i have it so stop hounding  me.

" is the father involved" (DF and i are not together byt have good communication) this the most disrespectful  question  why must it be assumed  that the father of my child  doesn't  want his baby this question  always hurt my feelings  for  the both of us because  he really  is happy  about    this  baby
  • Options
    Anyone who asks if I'm showing... Nope, just chubby thanks for asking... Or "do you hope it's a girl or a boy" like... I am not "hoping" for anything other than a healthy baby. My other favorite is girls asking my best friend if I did this on purpose.. Yes, I'm in my third semester of college, work full time, and am not married.. But I attempted to have a baby. Lol so silly. I just shake off the ignorance of people
  • Options
    SHieb said:

I've gotten: "was it planned?" "How old are you again?" (I'm 22 and have been married for over 2 years) "Are you going to vaccinate/other procedures?". I'm just like seriously, how does any of this concern you? I also hate unwelcome belly touchers...ugh.

I am also 22 and married. People keep saying, "but you're so young!" I have a BA, a job, a fantastic husband with a job, a nice place to live.... sorry if you, random person, are not ready for me to have a baby (two, actually). In most of the world's cultures women still start before age 20. It's a biologically normal thing.
  • Options

SHieb said:

I am also 22 and married. People keep saying, "but you're so young!" I have a BA, a job, a fantastic husband with a job, a nice place to live.... sorry if you, random person, are not ready for me to have a baby (two, actually). In most of the world's cultures women still start before age 20. It's a biologically normal thing.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Indeed. I am a 27 yyear old FTM and every FTM I know is in her 30's. My goal was always to start my family before I was 30
  • Options
    'Were you trying for long?' from a work colleague has been my personal favourite...
  • Options

SHieb said:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Indeed. I am a 27 yyear old FTM and every FTM I know is in her 30's. My goal was always to start my family before I was 30

I'm with you both. I would have happily started my family in my early-mid twenties, but it just wasn't in the cards for me then. I'm a 31yr old ftm.
  • Options
    kat+1kat+1 member
    I get thi because my kids will be 13 months apart. Even my doctor said " You know breastfeeding isn't birth control" as of it wasn't planed. We had decided to not prevent pregnanacy after we were married and had DS in July and now DD will be born in August. And if anymore children come they will come in Gods timing not ours. The other question I dislike is " is this your first?" I have come up with a few clever answeres when people really annoy me.
    1. Nope this is number 5 :)

2.Tell people that this isn't mine I am a Just carrying for a friend..
    My cousins a surrogate and when she told people they were weirded out so I like to think I am helping to open people's mind and close their mouths

But I just keep those for the people who ask way to personal questions
  • Options
    My MIL asked me what she was supposed to say when people ask her if the pregnancy was planned or not. I told her to tell them our sex life was none of their business. You've never seen someone shut up so fast......
  • Options
    I know I've responded before, but something crazy happened the other day at the store and I had to share. Mind you, I'm short. I say 4'9 and that's sthe truth. My best friend was buying a puppy and I went with her. The owner of the store told me to "make sure I continue school and enjoy life after the baby comes..." I literally open mouth stared at her. I then pulled out my license and showed her that I will be 25 by the time the baby comes. I enjoyed high school ad college thank you. I'll also have been married a year and a half before he arrives. I could not believe she thought to tell me to "enjoy school and my life" like I made some huge mistake.