September 2015 Moms
Options

Rude comments on these posts!!

Re: Rude comments on these posts!!

• Options
    I am going to go a little off base here, but after reading some of the posts here referring to giving opinions on a baby name, all I have to say is who cares what name someone is choosing for their child? You may think it sucks and that everyone else in the world will think it sucks, but they are not naming your child so why would you care if you like the name or not. Everyone is posting their name ideas, and I will say there are a lot that I do not like, but I am not going to comment to say that "it is not a real name" or "your kid is going to be teased for the rest of his or her life". I feel like those comments are a little rude. We are all excited for our babies, and choosing a name is just as exciting (for me anyways). I posted my name options hoping that maybe I am offering something someone hasn't thought of, and I read the other names thrown out there to see if there is one that I never thought of. Chosing a name should not be based on what everyone else will think of it, it is about what it will mean to you. And it is not anyone's place to make a negative comment on a name, whether you think you are being honest and helpful or not.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MiromiMMiromiM member
    edited March 2015
    There are Bump Guidelines.

While they do say

"DO keep in mind that you might not get the exact answer you're hoping for..." and "DO welcome constructive disagreement and refrain from getting upset if someone is of a differing opinion."

They also state

"
    But please don’t feel
    like you have to comment in every forum, on every thread and to every
    post. "It's okay to skip or ignore a thread if you have nothing
    constructive, relevant or supportive to contribute
    ." and most importantly "
    DO respect the feelings and opinions of other members"

It's not just the way some of us want it to be, it's the way the site is set up to be. :)
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am going to go a little off base here, but after reading some of the posts here referring to giving opinions on a baby name, all I have to say is who cares what name someone is choosing for their child? You may think it sucks and that everyone else in the world will think it sucks, but they are not naming your child so why would you care if you like the name or not. Everyone is posting their name ideas, and I will say there are a lot that I do not like, but I am not going to comment to say that "it is not a real name" or "your kid is going to be teased for the rest of his or her life". I feel like those comments are a little rude. We are all excited for our babies, and choosing a name is just as exciting (for me anyways). I posted my name options hoping that maybe I am offering something someone hasn't thought of, and I read the other names thrown out there to see if there is one that I never thought of. Chosing a name should not be based on what everyone else will think of it, it is about what it will mean to you. And it is not anyone's place to make a negative comment on a name, whether you think you are being honest and helpful or not.

Ok..... So if they don't want opinions, why are they posting it on the Internet for strangers to comment on? That's what this board is for, no?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    When someone makes a post in a public forum literally asking "what do you think of this name?" you are in every sense asking for it. You better be prepared to deal with the results, don't ask the question if you don't want to know the answer. There are no obligations for anyone to only write "nice" responses.
    You can't dictate how people respond to any post, they will say what they want. That's just something you have to get over and deal with.
    You are responsible for yourself and your reactions, not for how someone chooses to interpret what you write or say.
    ETA:You in a general sense that's not actually directed at any single person.
  • Options
    MiromiM said:

What? It's not a support group, it's an Internet forum where you can't dictate the responses.

Top sticky. First paragraph

"We
    created the community platform for you and we support you and your
    right to share your thoughts, feelings and advice. We know how much it
    helps to talk (virtually) with someone who may be sharing in the same
    experiences. And thanks to community members like you--who come
    together in suppor
    t, knowledge-share and friendship--The Bump community
    continues to thrive and our membership grows stronger and stronger every
    day.
    "

It is actually a kind of support group.
    Sometimes the more important support is telling someone the truth, not blowing smoke up their ass. Just sayin.
  • Options
    Yeah mine too.. This is ridiculous.
    It's so petty.
    I work in a professional environment all day where I have to reprimand people all day. Who wants to do this after hours. .. Seriously? Being nice is a chore?
    Geez, if I said what I wanted, like most, I'd be labeled a monster..
    Southern charm, it's called.
  • Options
    MiromiMMiromiM member
    edited March 2015

Sometimes the more important support is telling someone the truth, not blowing smoke up their ass. Just sayin.

I'm not arguing for people to lie. There's just no need to be rude. Just respondin'. :P
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    I honestly thought it was just a funny way to lighten the mood... because of all the hormone comments. And because I always try to find the perfect nice thing to say but it never helps... not a jab at anyone.
  • Options
    @knittingmama no, I can see how it seemed that way! I tried to take it back and make it it's own thread for that reason, but it still posted. Just thought it was funny and would lighten the mood on these serious threads here.
  • Options
    MiromiMMiromiM member
    edited March 2015
    Lol. I thought the video was cute and clever. I don't think you offended people since the people who like polite responses do actually have babies due Sep 2015.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    The name posts I was reading was titled something like "what names do you have". The intention was to share the names you came up with, I don't think it was meant for someone to comment negatively or to criticize.

Point is, is it really necessary to bash a name of all things?
  • Options
    Totally forgot to quote... but I am sure everyone will have an idea who that was directed to.... if not.. @madisonpenny
  • Options

Ok..... So if they don't want opinions, why are they posting it on the Internet for strangers to comment on? That's what this board is for, no?
    I was responding to this comment you made.
  • Options
    ShundiecShundiec member
    edited March 2015

Yeah mine too.. This is ridiculous.
    It's so petty.
    I work in a professional environment all day where I have to reprimand people all day. Who wants to do this after hours. .. Seriously? Being nice is a chore?
    Geez, if I said what I wanted, like most, I'd be labeled a monster..
    Southern charm, it's called.

Right! I do think being from the South or upbringing in general has something to do with it. I can give my opinion without calling someone out of their name but at the same time I will defend myself if provoked. I am shocked the OP thinks this board is rude compared to others but then again I don't read name threads. You are all nice but I don't care what you name your baby and certainly would not let ANYONE let alone strangers influence my opinion. A lively debate is appreciated during such a slow days period of my life but name calling and cursing people you don't know is total evidence of acting out because of a pathetic day, week, maybe even life. I imagine these snarks curse in front of their parents or do other things I never would but who am I to judge? I just want to see other plums and complain about my symptoms to those who understand until September.
  • Options

I completely agree. This is app is optional, an additional; to our already hectic lives. Why are people taking the misery out on us? Lol ..
    Why not disable the app from your phone or be a voyeur if you can't be nice.

Disable the "app" if we can't be 100% sugar lipped, ass kissing nice all the time? Seriously? Welcome to the internet, the place where you can't dictate the type of responses you'll get. My mind is fucking blown over all of you who think this board is full of mean girls. I literally can't even.
    So you disable it, lol Ms."I can't even"
    I don't need anyone to kiss my ass, I'm married and pregnant. Obviously I get that all the time. If you must be so honest, then here: welcome to the internet. A place where people mainly hide and say all the dumb, stupid shit that they can't afford to say in real life. A hiding place.
    And that's exactly what's happening here. I don't have to be "brutally honest".
    If Mary wants to name her kid bongo, idgaf. Her kid, BUT what I won't do is insult Mary with my "opinion" Bc I feel like my 2 cents will make her see the light, it won't.
    It's a support group. So fucking support
    Applause.
  • Options

The name posts I was reading was titled something like "what names do you have". The intention was to share the names you came up with, I don't think it was meant for someone to comment negatively or to criticize.

Point is, is it really necessary to bash a name of all things?

Totally forgot to quote... but I am sure everyone will have an idea who that was directed to.... if not.. @madisonpenny

Ok, honestly... WTF are you talking about?

I was responding to this comment you made.

So why tag me and point the finger at me for a comment I didn't even make.....
    I just realized I was looking at the wrong post. I apologize. Honest mistake. Too many things going on this thread I am getting a little flabbergasted.
  • Options
    etc35173 said:

It is actually kind of funny, I just went and read through the baby name thread (I will admit I skimmed because...well 10 pages).  I saw a bit of "please think before you use unique spellings or make up a name" snark but I really only saw one person even use the word idiot when referring to another poster.  Spoiler alert @jennasighed it was you.  

I called someone an idiot? Refresh my memory so I can apologize.
  • Options
    I'm mostly a lurker but no lie....nothing is worse than the group over at baby center. Even I must admit the Bump is no where near as bad....at baby center they have a clique that are just for the "snarks" lol (I wont even say how they identify themselves in their signatures :|) ...the positivity mixed in with a few rude comments here are nothing in comparison. Just something I noticed between the two.

I must admit its refreshing to come here and see some positivity along with opinions that arent given in such an aggressive/condescending way.
  • Options
    @jennasighed I actually gotta say if the baby names thread is the one you are talking about the response you quoted was maybe a little snarky but what you wrote in repsonse to that was incredibly rude and a personal attack on the person. You may want to rethink calling out other people for something you did yourself. 

Origami Owl Independent Designer 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

@jennasighed I actually gotta say if the baby names thread is the one you are talking about the response you quoted was maybe a little snarky but what you wrote in repsonse to that was incredibly rude and a personal attack on the person. You may want to rethink calling out other people for something you did yourself. 

I can't find the thread right this second, but I did comment on someone else's post. I know I was really offended by that person's response but I can't remember exactly what I said. If someone can send me the link to the thread I'm more than happy to go back and reread my comment. I have no problem editing it if it was unnecessarily rude. That is exactly what I am complaining about here, so you're right.
  • Options
    I have been reading this thread for entertainment... Thank you ALL... THANK YOU!!!!! I think it ends with:
    etc35173 said:

It is actually kind of funny, I just went and read through the baby name thread (I will admit I skimmed because...well 10 pages).  I saw a bit of "please think before you use unique spellings or make up a name" snark but I really only saw one person even use the word idiot when referring to another poster.  Spoiler alert @jennasighed it was you.  

Pack up and go home everyone.. Show's over!!

• Options
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/86573762/#Comment_86573762 I mean you told her you hope she gets called an idiot when she tells people her baby name IMO its unnecessary especially given what she said,  which again IMO wasn't all that bad yeah it was a little snarky but she didn't call anyone out for specific names 

Origami Owl Independent Designer 
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"