March 2015 Moms
Options

Au naturale vs Epidural (or other pain control methods)?

I'm just curious to hear the experiences of those who have received an epidural (or other pain medications available) and those who decided to take the "natural route".

If you would, please share what your experience(s) was/were and if you would have changed anything or done anything differently.

Just a FTM trying to gain some insight on the topic. Thanks :)

Re: Au naturale vs Epidural (or other pain control methods)?

• Options
    With my first daughter I had an epidural. I hated it! My legs felt like they were constantly sleeping and when he came time to push I was struggling because I couldn't tell if I was pushing or not.
    With my second daughter I went with no medicine at all. A much better experience even though it was a bit painful. When it came to pushing, it went nice and easy.
  • Options
    I did it without epidural with my first. Plan on doing it again!

Had a super fast 5.5 hour labor and delivery. It was SO SO intense. Started off hard and intense and ended that way. By the time I got to the hospital they told me they weren't even sure the epidural would take before baby arrived. But that's okay, wasn't planning on it anyways.

I can't say what I would have done if it took any longer than it did.... But I really personally believe in doing it without assistance if at all possible. Obviously stuff happens, but that's just what my goal is :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an epidural with my first. I wasn't sure if I would get one or not, but I progressed quickly and intensely so I went for the meds. It was one where I could self-administer more medication as needed. It was only an hour after I got the epidural before they wanted me to start pushing, so I wish I had let the medication wear off a little bit, but they told me to press the button when I got to a pain level of 1 or 2. I didn't feel ANYTHING. I could kind of feel the tension of a contraction, but I mainly relied on the dr telling me when to push. I had a great epidural experience overall, no complaints.
  • Options
    I was trying to go without epidural but the pain was so intense, I don't remember a thing from the time before I got the epidural and I waited a few hours before I went for it. Laborbwas so much better after the fact
  • Options
    I had an epidural and will absolutely be having one again. I also had the button to self administer, I over did it a bit and had to wait a bit to let me legs get a little feeling back in them. I didn't feel anything through the 3 pushes it took for my daughter to be born. I was just telling my doctor the other day Id like to do the same with this baby.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I waited about 4-5 hours after being admitted, and I was about 7 cm. After the epidural was in, I was fully dilated. Guess I could have made it without drugs, but like @LilLambkins said, I couldn't even open my eyes before the epidural because of the pain. I had no idea what my nurse looked like! I took an hour of resting before pushing. My dr took a nap too, LOL.
  • Options
    Get the epidural! It was the greatest stuff ever! It didn't hurt at all getting administered, it worked in 5 minutes to stop contractions, and I got to sleep a little before the pressure woke me up to push. I felt lots f pressure which was because my doctor wanted me to feel some to push. However, if I wanted to up it during pushing and not feel that pressure I could.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your responses thus far :) 
    Its interesting to hear different experiences. I would like to not receive any medication during labor, but its hard to say for sure never having gone through labor before. I'm not completely opposed to an epidural, but I would much rather do it without, just personal preference. One can only hope for a reasonably pleasant, short labor, but nothing can be planned. We shall see! I hope my body does what it's supposed to do naturally and that I can tough through the pain. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but this will be a completely different kind of pain I've never felt before so I'm anxious to see how it all plays out. A little over 3 more weeks! I'm ready. 
  • Options
    I had the epidural with my last 3.. with.my first son i had an allergic reaction to it and almost died.with my second.it didnt work at all so i felt all the pain. And with my 3rd it work perfectly...im praying i will be able to handle the pain this time but if not ill probably get the epidural.
  • Options
    My first was with no meds. I had a busy day planned, throwing a luncheon for 6 people and I had a refridgerator delivered… I had NO TIME to have a baby : ) So I waited way too long at home and was in full blown labor in the car. It was 18 minutes from car to baby at the hospital, a few pushes and she was out. It wasn't a picnic but I was in awe what my body was capable of and the second she was out it was over. It seriously was like someone just flipped a switch and that feeling of relief was worth all the craziness. I'm due any day and actually am having anxiety about the epidural. The thought of a shot in my spine scares the crap out of me, or the thought of something going wrong with it. I feel more anxious this time around for some reason. I'm thinking I will aim for no meds again and just pray that it all goes as smoothly and as fast as before.

• Options
    My first was a fast labor, was only at the hospital for 2.5 hours & only 15 minutes of pushing before my little guy was here. I labored at home a long time & the pain wasn't so bad. I think I went from 8-10 the last hour & that was the worst pain ever & the ring of fire that they call pushing is so accurate, I didn't like that part either. But when it was all done I figured I was better off, with my luck the epidural prob wouldn't have worked or I would have had some issue. So I am going to try for drug free again. Plus I remember this amazing high I was on right after he came out. This time I'm worried about getting to the hospital in time!
  • Options
    Did natural with my first. Wish I had been able to do it the same way with my second. Try it, everyone is different, every experience is different. I needed 3 stitches, healed pretty quick, and was actually looking forward to a second natural vaginal birth.
  • Options
    i hope i don't sound pushy, i just know that little seed of "i don't think i can do this" can turn pretty powerful in the midst of the situation. positive thinking was what got me through my first - vocally saying out loud "i am doing this!"

if you want to be drug free or not we're all able to prepare now to put a plan together where we can focus on calmly keeping the end in sight. that will benefit all of us in our individual situations, with our own opinions, options, and plans.
  • Options
    I will be honest I don't have a good pain toleration and I'm not ashamed of saying it. I just have had so many health problems that caused me so much pain that I already planned for an epidural.

It is a personal decision but I also believe that we are so lucky nowadays to have so many resources to count on in making labour and other medical procedures easier or less painful for that matter...

So having the option is already a blessing, whether or not you choose it that's your decision and it will also depend on the situation...

Great experiences shared here by the way :x
  • Options

This my first baby & I am planning on using hypnobirthing and going natural.

However, I had to have knee surgery at 29 weeks & they did a spinal block & I hated it. I had already planned on going without an epidural, but this solidified it. They had trouble getting the block to take, they had me in three positions trying to get it to take. While I was at home healing from the surgery the bruise from it bothered me as much as my knee. In recovery from the surgery I just kept wanting my legs to move and they wouldn't...it was so frustrating.

I really think you just need to have an honest discussion with yourself on how you handle any type of discomfort. If you're not good with pain, then an epidural is probably the way for you to go. For me, when I'm not comfortable I tend to focus on my breathing anyway, plus I typically don't like how my body reacts to drugs, so that's why I chose hypnobirthing.

• Options
    I went all natural with my first! I was induced and had her 17 hours later! I plan on doing the same with this one next week :) I am actually dilated to a 2 and 50% thinned out as of last week so I'm hoping this one goes a lot faster! With my first i wasn't even thinned out on my DD! Wishing you luck!!
  • Options
    okieamy said:

This my first baby & I am planning on using hypnobirthing and going natural.

However, I had to have knee surgery at 29 weeks & they did a spinal block & I hated it. I had already planned on going without an epidural, but this solidified it. They had trouble getting the block to take, they had me in three positions trying to get it to take. While I was at home healing from the surgery the bruise from it bothered me as much as my knee. In recovery from the surgery I just kept wanting my legs to move and they wouldn't...it was so frustrating.

I really think you just need to have an honest discussion with yourself on how you handle any type of discomfort. If you're not good with pain, then an epidural is probably the way for you to go. For me, when I'm not comfortable I tend to focus on my breathing anyway, plus I typically don't like how my body reacts to drugs, so that's why I chose hypnobirthing.

I used to get really bad car sickness as a kid and i found i used the same tactics to deal with labour as i used to deal with my car sickness - breathing and focus to relax etc. it was pretty funny when that clicked, like i'd been prepared for it all my life ;)
  • Options
    I had an epidural my first time around. It felt amazing, like a very warm, happy buzz through my lower half but with mental clarity and all. I could still feel the movement of my contractions but without any pain. I was able to get some rest and when it came time to push it only took three pushes and my daughter was born. The epidural site panged occasionally for the next couple months, but nothing serious. After my second labor (I was induced and had another epidural) I've continued experiencing sharp little pains at the epidural site that have never gone away over the last five years, so I've decided to go without this time. I'll also be going without pitocin because I hated the way it made me feel during my second labor. I won't be making the mistake of allowing myself to be induced ever again, either.
  • Options
    mudbug84mudbug84 member
    edited March 2015
    I'm a FTM with a severe Caine allergy that causes necrosis. So, injecting it anywhere near my spinal cord (having an epidural) is not an option. I am praying it's not as bad as some claim to have experienced. When I hear the number of women opting for the epidural, it makes me really nervous and panicky. I have to remind myself that I am not the first woman to do this, and the pain will pass. At least it comes in waves. We shall see how well that holds up when the time comes... I really have no choice. The pain is mine to bear.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @mudbug84 you will do beautifully! I'm planning no epidural for the second time. My SIL has had four kids with no epidural. My MIL had three with no epidural. All of them are very glad they didn't and I am too. Sure, some pain meds would (at the time) probably have been very nice lol. But it was 100% doable. It does come in waves. The end is the hardest. But then you have your baby and everything is perfectly okay and you forget about what just happened and your hormones kick in and everything is right in the world :)

Also, if you're really worried about it there are some alternative methods for helping with pain. They aren't nearly as strong... But like gas and air... You would have to look up some of the other options.
  • Options
    Thanks for the support and encouragement, @adelems. I really do appreciate it.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    ju123 said:

I will be honest I don't have a good pain toleration and I'm not ashamed of saying it. I just have had so many health problems that caused me so much pain that I already planned for an epidural.

It is a personal decision but I also believe that we are so lucky nowadays to have so many resources to count on in making labour and other medical procedures easier or less painful for that matter...

So having the option is already a blessing, whether or not you choose it that's your decision and it will also depend on the situation...

Great experiences shared here by the way :x

You really never know, I thought I was the biggest baby ever when it comes to pain. And my labor was very manageable up until the very end, then it was only 2 hours so I just went with it. In the end was glad I didn't need the epideral.
  • Options
    ju123ju123 member
    @jpavenski
    That would be so awesome if I could do it without epidural!!!!

I dream everyday about having a quick and easy labour :)
    I envy those ppl that have quick labor on the way to the hospital lol
  • Options
    @ju123 I got to the hospital at 5cm & went to 10 in 2 hours with my first, so I am scared of being one of those people this time! As much as I hope it goes fairly quickly again, I am so nervous about not making it to the hospital!!
  • Options
    ju123ju123 member
    @jpavenski
    Wow that's awesome!
    I'm totally jealous [-O<

Just be prepared for it!!!!!
  • Options
    STM bumped from feb to March due date (9 days overdue).
    With my first, I started mild constant contractions Sunday night, water broke 7pm Monday night, had to go in to hospital as I was GBS pos. I wasn't progressing past 6cm by Tuesday morning so they asked if I wanted an epidural so that they could run pitocin. I refused the epidural but had no choice with the pitocin (it was that or risk a c section). She was born just after 6pm. Now having done that it has to be said that up until pitocin the contractions were manageable( equal to what I had read/researched and mentally prepared myself for) once the pitocin was administered I realized why they recommend a epidural chaser. They say that contractions are 10 times as strong and more painful than natural contractions so that was something I wasn't prepared for. 20 mins after she was out, I peed and was ready to go home, pain was gone. The only thing that I had problems with was a blood vessel broke in one of my eyes from pushing so I had a red eye for a couple of days.

We had about 5 babies born in our family that year and all of them have had complications from their epidurals. Everything from it didn't take properly, it wore of before baby came, it only took to half of their body. One cousin has permenant damage to her bladder as they purpherated it when they were putting in the catheter( went right through the otherside) and the last one has the spinal migraines that can be a side effect of the epidural.

I plan to go au natural with this one as well but the best thing is for you to do yor research and go in open minded.
  • Options
    I'm being induced and I plan to get an epidural. I don't want to be in pain if I don't have to be. I had a spinal at 20 weeks to get an emergency cervical cerclage. The spinal (although admittedly a little different from an epidural) went wonderfully. I do not have any pain in my back at the site, no lost feeling anywhere else in my body and no headaches.

I think for every good epidural story there is a bad one. And I just believe every woman should do her research and not just opinions from other woman (which have there helpfulness) but medically based research and make whatever decision feels right for them. And once you make that decision don't let anyone tell you you are wrong or make you feel bad or less than for your decision.

Ultimately we all love our babies and going natural or getting pain managment doesn't change how much we love them.
  • Options

I had an epidural my first time around. It felt amazing, like a very warm, happy buzz through my lower half but with mental clarity and all. I could still feel the movement of my contractions but without any pain. I was able to get some rest and when it came time to push it only took three pushes and my daughter was born. The epidural site panged occasionally for the next couple months, but nothing serious. After my second labor (I was induced and had another epidural) I've continued experiencing sharp little pains at the epidural site that have never gone away over the last five years, so I've decided to go without this time. I'll also be going without pitocin because I hated the way it made me feel during my second labor. I won't be making the mistake of allowing myself to be induced ever again, either.

This is my main reason for being against epidurals. It can give you a lifetime of back issues and nerve damage. It doesn't seem like a fair trade for just a few hours of relief.
    Right there with you on this. Reason #1 for me
  • Options
    vtmejia21 said:

I went all natural with my first! I was induced and had her 17 hours later! I plan on doing the same with this one next week :) I am actually dilated to a 2 and 50% thinned out as of last week so I'm hoping this one goes a lot faster! With my first i wasn't even thinned out on my DD! Wishing you luck!!

Um I guess I'm confused. All natural usually means no drugs.
  • Options
    lib1974 said:

vtmejia21 said:

It's possible she meant she was stripped or her water broken. My mother had her water broken with me, and still considered it a natural birth because she did her own thing after that without interventions.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had an epidural with my first daughter.  My water ruptured before I even started having contractions, so I had been in labor for 36 hours and then had to be induced so by the time the contractions started getting really painful. I was so exhausted from not getting any sleep the whole time I ended up getting one.  It was great for the couple of hours it lasted---I actually took a nap!!  Then it wore off and the contractions woke me back up, and by the time I was ready to push there was nothing of it left, so I had no trouble knowing when to push. The nurses told me I shouldn't ask for a new cassette to keep the epidural going because if I did I would have a harder time pushing, so I opted to go without it for the rest.  So it served the purpose I needed it to.  If I had a shorter labor, I probably would have gone without it, so it kind of depends on the experience.  
  • Options

lib1974 said:

vtmejia21 said:

It's possible she meant she was stripped or her water broken. My mother had her water broken with me, and still considered it a natural birth because she did her own thing after that without interventions.
    Sure. That makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"