Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Nipple Pain (one side) OUCH!!!!

Hi ladies! I posted this question in the Breastfeeding forum but no one has responded so I thought I would try here as well. My baby is almost 5 months old. About a week ago I started having pain in my right nipple. It's super tender and hurts to the touch. Like even when my shirt or bra rubs against it, It had gone away after a few days but now seems to be back with a vengeance. When my daughter first latches on it hurts SO much and for the first few minutes I just want to cry. It usually settles down a little once she gets going. It's only my right nipple and it doesn't look any different than my left. Maybe a little pinker but if at all, barely. It is increasinly more sore today. Any thoughts as to what it could be or similar experiences? Also who would I go see? My ob or lactation?

Re: Nipple Pain (one side) OUCH!!!!

• Options

Call your OB.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It could be thrush though when I had that it was some nipple pain and then a burning feeling in the rest of my boob. See your ob or check your LO's mouth for white patches. I was treated at the same time as DD for thrush by our pedi. If LO has it and isn't treated at the same time as you it will just come back.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Even just go to a walk in. My nipples get sore all the time and it's usually solved by switching to a football hold for a day or two but recently I let it get so bad that it started bleeding :( Went to the walk in on Christmas eve and got a prescription for Dr Newman's nipple ointment. It has made the pain totally manageable but to be honest it hasn't gone away completely and I still plan to talk to Lo's doc about it when I get home (still away on holiday) because I'm not sure if you're supposed to be using it long term since LO is ingesting a tiny bit every time he nurses.
  • Options

Ouch! Been there. I have had this problem on and off for the past 4 months (DD is 6ms). Have you noticed a blister like a fluid filled bump? After a few agonizing days it should "pop", then you can scrub gently with a washcloth at the end of your shower to take off the dead skin layer, which also prevents them. Remember every shower, and be glad the milk blister (if that's what is causing you pain) is only on one nipple. 

• Options
    Milk blister or thrush for sure
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"