Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Teachers TTC

Hello! I know that you can't "plan" when you get pregnant because it can be unpredictable, but I am wondering when other teachers are starting to TTC.  Obviously, a baby born any time is a wonderful surprise, but in a job where maternity leave is limited, I would love to try to time things in order to have the most time home with a new baby without using up all of my vacation/sick leave.

My insurance allows me to get pregnant as soon as May 1, but a baby conceived at that time would be due in Feb. (Which would mean covering 14 weeks of maternity leave before summer break starts). Ideally, I'd love an early May (or even late April) due date. I know things can take time, and I'll be just coming off the BCpill which I know can slow things down. What do you think? Start TTC in May and go with the flow if it happens right away, or hold off?

On the plus side, I'd much rather have an early baby, return to work for a couple of weeks and have the summer off again than have to have the baby in Sept. and come right back to work in a few weeks. What are other teachers thinking?

Re: Teachers TTC

• Options
    Do you have disability insurance? It would lengthen your leave as long as you apply before ttc.i am a teacher and most teacher friends plan similarly to you. I am just going w the flow

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just signed up for the disability insurance, which is what would start May 1 :) I hear it's a HUGE help!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you have disability insurance? It would lengthen your leave as long as you apply before ttc.i am a teacher and most teacher friends plan similarly to you. I am just going w the flow
    Not all states offer this for pregnancy. I'd suggest she look it up or ask her HR director. 
  • Options
    @surferpf28 Well, I'll be positive since this is what the boards are here for. You don't need to comment if you're not going to be positive. I can understand both sides of the argument but we don't need to be negative. Most of my coworkers do try to plan their due date for around May to get as much time as possible with the baby. If other people had the same opportunity to have the summer off they would totally do the same thing so don't worry about the comments. I also am TTC and a teacher and would love to have a baby in May and not have to come back to work until September but I really want to have a baby so I will be thrilled to have a baby any month, as long as I am blessed to have a child. If it works out to be due in May than even better! I'm hoping I get pregnant before then though!! God forbid you have trouble conceiving you will totally regret waiting TTC until July or August just to have a potential due date in April/May. I say whenever you feel that you are ready start trying and everything will work out for the best!
    28 yo, married this past July. DH is 29 yo and a 2 time cancer survivor. TTC for 2 months now 

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    Wow these are incredibly rude responses. I don't understand why people respond if they don't have helpful things to contribute. Nothing in my post complained about my hours or lack of breaks or anything of that type. I simply said I'd like to have a baby at a time that coincided with summer break so that I could have as much time off as possible with my little one before returning to work. Shouldn't this board be a helpful and positive place for women? What's the point in bashing others?

To answer cnf's question, if we don't get pregnant with a due date that would coincide with my schedule, we may consider holding off and trying again in a year. (But I could also see us changing our minds on this and deciding to keep trying anyway). Being a stay at home mom or taking more unpaid leave is not an option for me, and I think it would be very difficult to send a child to day care and return to work so quickly after having a child. That being said, I realize many people do that and things are wonderful. However, since teachers have that perk of weeks off in the summer, it makes sense to take advantage of that time. 

My disability insurance does consider childbirth, I've checked with the insurance company and HR. Thank you.
  • Options
    @SurferP528, What @jnissa means is that right now, the teaching profession is skating on thin ice. Most of the public hates us and the government is going to destroy our profession. Everyone thinks we're over paid and pretentious and privvy to too much as it is. The fact that you came here to basically say you're going to pick and choose your TTC months based on all the lovely extra benefits behooved to teacher that other professions aren't privvy to makes you sound pompous. It's basically rubbing the fact that the option to even have the extra three months off with your child directly following a paid maternity in everyone else's face. By saying that other timing is inconvenient and basically beneath you makes us teachers sound like dicks. EVERYONE HATES US RIGHT NOW. Do you understand that? Teachers are under a harsh spotlight right now. This type of pretentious talk makes everyone hate us even more. I don't know about you, but I love my job. I'm completely terrified because fucking Governor Cuomo has already dug the six foot hole that my job will be laying in if his legislation passes. So how about you quit making things worse, k? 
  • Options
    I completely disagree with you, but appreciate the input. 

I don't think teachers should have to come on a pregnancy forum to dance around political issues or try to defend our profession. I chose to be a teacher because I wanted a schedule that would work well with being a mother and having a family. I will not apologize for that.

I don't think this issue is worth discussing any longer because it feels like an attack and I don't need that negativity in my life. I do appreciate the input on TTC and timing, and I think we'll start May 1 and go with the flow like I originally said. 

Let's be positive and help each other. There's no need to get all up in arms over some posts on a message board! Let's drop this and move on to more pleasant topics.
  • Options
    cebw29 said:
    jnissa said:
     "I chose to be a teacher because I wanted a schedule that would work well with being a mother and having a family."

Well, then, there you go. You clearly have not been attached to the education profession long enough to know what a dagger you put into the future generations of people who want their profession to be taken seriously when you say that. 
    Right?? Just keep digging.
    For real. Guess she doesn't care that the government is trying to privatize education and that Common Core is crushing teachers and education as whole. Just as long as you still get those summers off. Because why else would anyone ever become a teacher *insert massive eyeroll here*

I apologize if the fact that I like being a teacher because education is important to me is cramping your style. Let's have this conversation again next year when all the teaching jobs get destroyed, public education turns to shit, and the government has stuck their greedy fucking hands in the pot. Thanks for shining such a beautiful glowing light on our profession. 
  • Options
    You are taking these boards way too seriously. I haven't told any friends or family that I'm thinking of TTC and am just looking for some friendly support. I'm going to head elsewhere to find it.

Haters going to hate. 
    Um. What?
  • Options
    YogaSandyYogaSandy member
    edited February 2015
    I'm a teacher. We didn't plan for a certain month. We just started trying when we decided the time was right. We didn't know how long it would take. DS has an October birthday.

But, I'm also in Canada - so mat leave is different. I don't think that would have swayed my decision though, because I had been on BCP for well over a decade and we were ready for it to take a long time.

ETA typo
  • Options
    You are taking these boards way too seriously. I haven't told any friends or family that I'm thinking of TTC and am just looking for some friendly support. I'm going to head elsewhere to find it.

Haters going to hate. 

And the players gonna play play play play play? Seriously, you asked for opinions. You got opinions. Just because it's not the opinion you wanted, don't get your panties in a bunch. No I would not hold off on ttc. That means in an entire year you only will try two months? You only have a 20% chance. What if you have trouble ttc? You won't find out for 6 years then because you'll only have two months a year to go on. It's 12 months of unprotected sex/trying before you will be considered Infertile.
  • Options
    I'll probably TTC from May through October or November and then re-evaluate. So that's 7 months of trying. If we haven't gotten pregnant by then, we may hold off until the following May, or depending on how we feel, just keep trying and be happy with a baby whenever. (I'm sure it's easy to get impatient after some months of trying. But I'm not feeling too rushed yet.)

A lot of posters made good points that babies can come early anyway and that "planning" is not really possible. So, we'll start as early as we can in May and hope for some good results! I know it takes many women a long time to get pregnant, but it seems like there's quite a few who think it will take long and have a quick surprise. I just want to be prepared and not wishing I'd waited a bit longer. Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and we tried to time it perfectly. I conceived in October and due date is July 4th. I suggest starting in July in case it takes a couple if months.
  • Options

Haters going to hate. 

Um. What?

She's a teacher so she can't say "gonna."

OP, I'm a teacher too. I started trying last Feb because I thought it would be perfect to have my baby in November and not come back until January. How naive I was. Here I am a year later and looking into REs. Bottom line... You can't plan life. If being a mother is so important to you, you'll be happy to take what you can get.
    Married to DH (aka the love of my life) since June 17th, 2006

• Options
    Good luck, momma. If I had this benefit in my chosen profession (as every job does have their benefits) I would undoubtedly TTC to align with this time off! The teaching calendar is "family friendly" and that is one reason I chose this field. While teaching kiddos was a priority of mine, family was as well. I ended up in childcare as a Director and work year round, but still chose a family friendly environment to lay down my professional roots. Our career choice is exactly that, OUR career choice. And to be on this forum judging others is completely immature and uncalled for!
  • Options
    Moirin88 said:
    Op I seriously hope my daughter never has a teacher teaching for the reasons you are teaching. You're in it for all the wrong reasons which tells me that you won't care about her or any of the other students' educations. She deserves better.
    Hopefully you're teaching your daughter not to judge people based on tiny snippets of information in an online posting. You know nothing about why I'm a teacher or what kind of a teacher I am, so don't be ignorant. Sure, the family schedule was one reason, but that doesn't mean that I did not pick my career for other reasons too. None of which I have to defend here. 
    Hopefully if your daughter had a teacher who is pregnant, you'd be relieved if they have the baby close to the end of the year in order to minimize time away from her class and be the best teacher throughout the year. 
  • Options
    Actually I didn't say it was the only reason. That's the assumption that you made. I'm done responding to this board. Have a good day everybody! :)

Let's try to spread helpful, positive information. That's what people come here for.
  • Options
    @surferP528‌ I just want you to know that there are some here posting and looking for responses just like you are- not all of us come here to start a fight and talk crap on message boards because they have nothing better to do in their spare time! On that note- I feel for you because I too wish to time it right so I can maximize my quite months of work with a new baby! I'm not a teacher but I own my own wedding venue- which is slammed during spring summer and fall. It's hard to think that if have to hire help and hope to keep the quality of my family business the same if I had a baby during the middle of wedding season! Not to mention, it would increase my expenses along with baby costs to hire more help- and there is no such thing as paid maternity leave when you run your own business. I'd sure love to be pregnant during the wedding season and have a baby in the winter while my business isn't as time demanding! I know there are lots of factors and you can't expect to time it perfectly (or at all) ... But I hope to see that luck might be with you and I! I wish you all the best for a healthy, well timed pregnancy! Good luck!
  • Options
    I hope things work out for you! I know that sometimes things are just out of our control but ifyou can make it happen where you spend more time with your baby, more power to you! I love kids and work at my LO's school. A job where I have the exact same vacation as my LO is a wonderful benefit and 1 of the main reasons I work at a school. Good luck OP
  • Options
    Good luck to you! I'm a teacher too. I am a step mom and am planning one and done so I would love as much time with my baby as possible. But as my husband often reminds me, you can't count on it working out exactly as planned. We would love a spring baby and plan to start TTC around April in case it takes longer than expected. I'll be thrilled whenever we have a baby as I'm sure you will be, too!
  • Options
    People who don't teach have no clue. Hold your urine for hours and keep lecturing while dying of thirst, keep disruptions in a class to a minimum, teach and talk most of the day standing, give up your lunch to help students-yes, every day, plan engaging lessons, after school, call parents when papers aren't turned in (high school 20-30 parents at 5-10 minutes a phone call,) attend IEP and 504 meetings, that can last until 5:30, start working at 7, grade all evening and at least 8 hours on your weekend (5 subjects for 38 students in elementary and 200+ students in high school) and smile the whole time--- don't call in sick when you are running a fever and vomiting because your substitute--replacement may not show and all your students lose important instructional time, weave in common core standards, scaffold lessons for students across the continuum of learning: special education, English language learners, general education students and magnet students. Always listen to people say how great your benefits are and how you barely work with summers off. This is a profession of service and no one else "gets it." 10-months of pay and endentured servant conditions warrant you to have your baby the best way it benefits you, your students,your district and when your state testing will be held. Get pregnant during the summer and have a spring baby (April). Teach your buns off, continue to make sacrifices from your family and personal life (and sanity) and take off before the baby is born. You will have prepared your students, honored your district, and allow yourself enough time to get nursing/leaking/sleeping/pumping schedules under control. You deserve to use the disability you pay for out of YOUR pocket (district does not pay for it). It's unpaid-- like most employers and you are paid 80% after you use EVERY sick day ever accrued (which you will pay for your sub out of your pocket until disability kicks in). Don't take over 5-months, as you will lose your health benefits.
    Good luck and God bless you for teaching the students of today who are so entitled. Those of you who aren't teachers: try to walk a mile in a teacher of today's shoes. It's even harder pregnant.
  • Options
    Positivity. On the Internet. In a forum full of women.
    welcome to the Internet?
  • Options
    Personally, based on the new testing standards and regimes, I'f honestly rather NOT have a spring baby. You want a sub to be in your room during the last two-three months of school when the stakes are the highest? You know a good chunk of your end of year evaluation is based on test scores? Your job, sadly, depends on test scores at this point. Who would even leave their fate in a sub's hands like that? I'd rather have a baby early to mid year when curriculum isn't as demanding and you can work to catch your students up towards the end of the year and fill in any gaps a sub may have created. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"