August 2015 Moms

Has anyone developed high blood pressure during pregnancy ?

ive always had perfect blood pressure ...but ever since I got pregnant it's been up there and it's scaring me cause I don't understand what's going on...my salt levels and all other levels are perfect in my blood work ....I'm just really concerned for baby :/

Re: Has anyone developed high blood pressure during pregnancy ?

• My blood pressure has always been extremely high before baby. Since I have been pregnant everything is a perfect 120/80.
    I'm a little freaked out by it.
  • I had a high reading at the ob office yesterday, at almost 15 weeks. They are making me come back Monday to check again. Hope it's an anomaly and not an issue this early... I've always had perfect or even low blood pressure so this is definitely new.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes. I was prone to it before my first pregnancy, but it peaked during the last pregnancy. Your Dr. will monitor this very closely and you may go on medication. Mine had to up my dosage last month as it is popping back up during this one too. Try not to stress about it, as that only makes it worse. I will probably have to be induced a week or two early due to it, but all went well last time so I'm not stressing out as much this go around.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much for the feed back! Hopefully it gets under control and doesn't cause any issues for any of us !
  • Garlic!!
    https://m.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/deodorized-garlic-500-mg-006590?scid=27833&cmp=gpl-_-Food Supplements-_-006590&CAWELAID=1782917374&gclid=CN6GqYqd7sMCFcZafgodMysAAw.
    My sister in law and my sister took it for her high blood while pregnant and it really helped. Her midwife suggested it. The deodorized kind doesn't make you smell like it at all.
  • I never thought of that...I'm going to give it a try
  • Just like you I've always had great blood pressure. But when I got pregnant the first time it really spiked up. I ended up having preeclampsia. Now that I'm pregnant a second time my doctors are very closely monitoring me. Just continue eating well and try and stay calm and if you have any concerns speak to your doctor. I know it can be really scary and dealing with this for the second time I am in a constant worry but you just have to remember to keep making healthy choices and do everything in your power to stay healthy and the doctors will take care of the rest. As long as you don't have any other major issues you and baby should be fine with your doctors monitoring you.
  • *lurking*

Things to keep watch for: extreme headaches that are "global", that is, the pain is everywhere; flashing lights or colors in your peripheral vision; pain in your right side around your liver; excessive swelling. Your docs should be monitoring; if they suspect pre-e, they will do at least one 24 hour urine collection. If your BP exceeds 140/90, call your doctor; if the top number exceeds 160 and/or the bottom number exceeds 100 on multiple occasions, that's considered emergent. Get as much rest as possible. One tip some docs give (mine did, but he also said it isn't always effective) is to try to lay on your left side for one-hour periods, at least 3 times a day. It can improve circulation.

It's scary, but as long as your doc monitors you well and you do your best to follow their guidelines, you should be able to catch any problems. I ended up being induced a few days early because my BPs kept swinging up and they were concerned it would go downhill otherwise. Mine stuck around a while after I gave birth, I had to be on meds for a while, but it is back to normal now. Good luck!

• Your blood pressure naturally increases with pregnancy.. however, if it dramatically increases.. it's a warning sign of pre-eclampsia. They can test for protein in your urine to determine this... With my first pregnancy, for the last month - I think I peed in the cup every week and was diagnosed with pre-e when I came in in labor. Thankfully that was only 5 days before my due date.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• ckvan2001ckvan2001 member
    edited February 2015
    I ended up having high blood pressure/pre-eclampsia late into my first pregnancy. My OB just monitored me a little more when that happened. And I was put on mild bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy. I also got an extra ultrasound at my hospitals perinatal center because of it. After delivery, I was put on a Magnesium drip for 24 hours. I was induced at 38 weeks because of it. Everything went back to normal after delivery. I never experienced it with any of my other pregnancies, and so far so good my blood pressure has been fine with this pregnancy.
  • I developed pre-eclampsia at 36 weeks with my first pregnancy, they induced me at 37 weeks because of it and I had to be on blood pressure meds for 6 weeks after delivery, then everything was normal. They will be watching me closer this time, but my doctor said it's not possible to develop pre-e before 20 weeks. 
  • My blood pressure has been higher than normal this time around. The doctor has commented on it twice now and said she will just monitor it. She said pre-e doesn't happen til much later, if it does. She also said that generally blood pressure goes back down in the second tri.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• PixelPosy said:

I developed pre-eclampsia at 36 weeks with my first pregnancy, they induced me at 37 weeks because of it and I had to be on blood pressure meds for 6 weeks after delivery, then everything was normal. They will be watching me closer this time, but my doctor said it's not possible to develop pre-e before 20 weeks. 

A mom from another group I was in from my last baby developed pre e at 17/19 weeks and she got hospitalised
    At 21 weeks and turned severe at 23 weeks and she had c section at 24. It can happen early.

My pre e with my first showed up right at 40 weeks and hung around till my hormones regulated after I got my first cycle. It didn't happen with my second
  • I developed pregnancy induced hypertension my last pregnancy. It started around 22 weeks and lasted until I had my son at 38 weeks. I ended up getting mild pre-e at 38 weeks, my bp spiked at 145/92 and I started spilling 2+ protein in urine check and also pre-e blood lab came back positive. I had to do several pre-e blood tests and 24 urine collections from 22-38 weeks to closely monitor if I was developing pre-e and they did extra ultrasounds to make sure the baby was growing ok (it can effect baby growth). I started seeing rainbow type holograms out of the corner of one of my eyes and I knew that something was off, went into l&d and that's when theh confirmed I had finally developed pre-e. They are having me take my Bp at home to keep an eye on it this time, really hoping I don't get pre-e again. The 24 hour magnesium drip was worse then my c-section.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree the magnesium was horrible I developed preeclampsia also n had a csection mag is horrible. I hope I don't have to have it again. Although its not looking good as I am already on Bp meds and iron pills. Hoping and praying pre e stays away.
  • I had pre eclampsia with my first child. No problems with blood pressure with my second. Now at 18 weeks with #3 my blood pressure is staying about 167/137 and I am being monitored for it. Never had a blood pressure problem in my life other than while preggo with #1. Doc has me on watch for this now.
  • My blood pressure has always been fine. I am 17 1/2 weeks and my blood pressure has been a little higher now. My doctor didn't seem that concerned with it but told me that he would keep a close eye on it for the rest of my pregnancy.
    Always hold on to hope ❤
  • I had to go into the doc yesterday. My BP was 167/137 with a pulse of 86. I keep getting this feeling like my heart is racing and it lasts about 5 min each time. Doc is saying it is palpitations at this point since I am not 20 weeks. I am being sent to a cardiologist this upcoming week to be monitored. Anyone else have this issue? My BP was like this was my son when I have preeclampsia but never had the pulse racing issue.
  • Bp got normal after delivery