2nd Trimester

21 Day Fix?

I am 16 weeks - and was thinking about trying the original OR the new 21 Day Fix Extreme that just came out. Has anyone else ever done this program while pregnant? I am obviously not trying to lose weight, just stay healthy and keep weight gain to a healthy minimum. I exercise 5-6 days a week and eat semi-healthily but need to control my portions and random bad snacking to stay on track. I gained WAY too much with my first two pregnancies and was not healthy. Now I am, and I want to stay that way! What do you think?
Me: 30 DH: 30
DD1: 8 (6/11/07)  DD2: 5 (6/15/10)
BFP 10/13/2014 ... Natural M/C 10/25/14
BFP...11/25/14! Grow Baby Grow! :)
*our 3rd and our last*
Repeat C/S scheduled for 7/29/15

Re: 21 Day Fix?

• I think you should ask your doctor before deciding to do a diet while pregnant.
  • It's not a diet - it's everything I am already doing, eating clean - just helps you control the portion size and encourages you to eat several small meals per day. There are different calorie brackets to follow and I would obviously make sure I was getting enough to eat. I was just curious if anyone else had tried this program while pregnant, and how it went. 
    *our 3rd and our last*
  • Loading the player...
  • I would definitely check with your doctor. My friend is doing that program to lose her baby weight. I don't think you need to do a program to keep an eye on your weight gain.
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've only heard of people doing it to loose weight after having the baby. 
  • I would not do any diet plan while pregnant or breast feeding.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied, and make healthy choices!
  • Changing your eating and exercise habits mid pregnancy seems really unhealthy. Especially because you already claim to be eating healthy and excersizing regularly.
    Mid pregnancy is not the time to cut back on your nutritional in take.
  • Okay, before I get attacked here... or wait I think I already have! ;) I have done research on 21DF and 21DFX and follow a couple of fit pregnant mommas on Instagram that are doing this program. The work out DVDs that come with the program are great and have a modifier in each one. That is what I was mostly looking at. The goal here is not to cut calories in order to lose weight, it's to help me keep a healthy mind set, and control portions, by eating more of the right foods and less of the bad ones. As I said, there are different calorie brackets and I would make sure that I was eating enough. I am not here to lose weight, or to put my body or my unborn baby at risk. Thanks for all of your input, but I was simply looking for someone that HAS done this or is currently doing this program while pregnant to see how it was going and what they thought of it. :)
    *our 3rd and our last*
  • Thank you for your input, once again - I'm not dieting, I'm not decreasing my calorie intake, I am simply planning to replace bad calories with good calories. Reduce snacking on empty calories with no nutritional value and replacing them with fruits, veggies and protein. This program helps with that and the workouts are great. I actually had people message me (on here - regarding this specific post) that they were starting this program as well, or continuing it - apparently they knew better than to post here and get bashed. Lesson learned! H&H 9 months to all! :)
    *our 3rd and our last*
  • mrsjech said:
    Thank you for your input, once again - I'm not dieting, I'm not decreasing my calorie intake, I am simply planning to replace bad calories with good calories. Reduce snacking on empty calories with no nutritional value and replacing them with fruits, veggies and protein. This program helps with that and the workouts are great. I actually had people message me (on here - regarding this specific post) that they were starting this program as well, or continuing it - apparently they knew better than to post here and get bashed. Lesson learned! H&H 9 months to all! :)
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Why did you come here asking for opinions?
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • From their own website: "Consult your physician and follow all safety instructions before beginning this or any exercise program and nutrition plan."

Starting this in the middle of pregnancy is not a good idea. You know, because it isn't. You aren't supposed to lose weight during pg unless specified by your doctor for medical reasons.

No one is bashing you (saying you are an irresponsible person or anything like that). We are simply strongly disagreeing with you. It's not the same. You seem bent on doing this thing-- obviously no one else here (pregnant or not) thinks is that great of an idea. :-??

I'm not sure why you are getting your twinkies in a twist about it.

This lady did it:
    https://www.laurendrobach.com/?p=17

If you google vs. Try to hulk-smash your wants on here you'll find plenty of women that did it. It's ok for is to disagree with you as long as we are doing it within TOU & respectfully.

I, personally think this portion control thing is a horrible idea. I mean, don't go nuts eating & make healthy choices-- but during my pregnancies I must have eaten pounds if cauliflower, and a ton (it seemed) of chicken thighs. I still gained weight because that is the natural order for a pregnant woman.

Of my 30 lbs weight gain 10lbs of it was water (or so my OB estimated).

Anywho-- I feel like you are fishing. If no one is telling you it's a good idea then what does that say?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• mrsjech said:
    Thank you for your input, once again - I'm not dieting, I'm not decreasing my calorie intake, I am simply planning to replace bad calories with good calories. Reduce snacking on empty calories with no nutritional value and replacing them with fruits, veggies and protein. This program helps with that and the workouts are great. I actually had people message me (on here - regarding this specific post) that they were starting this program as well, or continuing it - apparently they knew better than to post here and get bashed. Lesson learned! H&H 9 months to all! :)
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Why did you come here asking for opinions?
    Honestly was looking for opinions of people who have done it, or are currently doing it while pregnant. Sorry for all the fuss. Not my intention...
    *our 3rd and our last*
  • From their own website: "Consult your physician and follow all safety instructions before beginning this or any exercise program and nutrition plan." Starting this in the middle of pregnancy is not a good idea. You know, because it isn't. You aren't supposed to lose weight during pg unless specified by your doctor for medical reasons. No one is bashing you (saying you are an irresponsible person or anything like that). We are simply strongly disagreeing with you. It's not the same. You seem bent on doing this thing-- obviously no one else here (pregnant or not) thinks is that great of an idea. :-?? I'm not sure why you are getting your twinkies in a twist about it. This lady did it: https://www.laurendrobach.com/?p=17 If you google vs. Try to hulk-smash your wants on here you'll find plenty of women that did it. It's ok for is to disagree with you as long as we are doing it within TOU & respectfully. I, personally think this portion control thing is a horrible idea. I mean, don't go nuts eating & make healthy choices-- but during my pregnancies I must have eaten pounds if cauliflower, and a ton (it seemed) of chicken thighs. I still gained weight because that is the natural order for a pregnant woman. Of my 30 lbs weight gain 10lbs of it was water (or so my OB estimated). Anywho-- I feel like you are fishing. If no one is telling you it's a good idea then what does that say?
    Yes, she is actually one of the moms I follow in instagram. Thanks for your input - and while I will once again say that I am NOT trying to lose weight I am just trying to find something to hold myself accountable - while some people don't have an issue with eating, and only gain 30 pounds during pregnancy, that was never the case for me. I started a healthy lifestyle about a year ago.  I run, I lift, I eat healthy and I lost 25 pounds to get to where I wanted to be. My husband and I were trying for a baby and I got pregnant - now I am terrified of losing all that I have "gained" from my fitness journey. I gained 60 lbs with my first pregnancy and 70 with my 2nd. That is CLEARLY way too much. I didn't watch what I was eating, and I did not exercise. SO, no "just eat healthy" doesn't work for everyone. Portion control is important, as well as eating the right foods. Some people need a little extra help with that... and there is nothing wrong with it. Again, thanks for your input.
    *our 3rd and our last*
  • @mrsjech‌ : I say do what your OB advises vs. Some fad diet. Eating well & exercise is not a bad thing. That should be happening anyway.

Truthfully I would worry about weight loss after you have the baby, fully recover & get through the first year of having a baby. I say this from experience. Wanting to be a healthy weight isn't an issue-- but starting anything new while pregnant is.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• @mrsjech‌ : I've been where you are. You'll need the extra calories pregnant or nursing. I see what you mean about valuable/clean calories vs. Junk.

Just making it through the first year is tough & you will have many physical challenges (including recovery where you will need extra calories).

Gaining weight & consuming healthy calories is great & I applaud you. You can do that without a dad diet designed for folks who want to lose weight quickly. Do you see what I'm saying?

If you want help with diet management I'd tell your OB your goals & get a referral to a dietician that can help. I'm not trying to snark you or shoot you down. I'm trying to help. Good luck.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• masabmommasabmom member
    edited February 2015
    I haven't done 21 day fix but I have a lot of friends and family that have. I think you should be ok workout wise if you already are excising regularly. I'd be careful about the lateral quick movements and any jumping. Hey, I get you totally,  I was doing T25 when I was first pregnant, I get where you're coming from. My doc told me to stop T25. I lost 45lbs after my kids (after getting back to pre-pregancy weight) and I don't want to be back where I was. BUT I lost it before I can do it again, you can too. I am not sure about the food, you might want to give yourself an extra veggie and carb portion or something, have extra fruit. If that makes any sense. I am actually doing myfitnesspal to keep me accountable, just don't have a weight loss goal, using it more as a food journal, helps to remind me to take prenatal too.
  • I am 19 weeks pregnant and doing 21 Day fix. I've had DOCTOR approval and at my apt today I talked about it with my midwife ( for a second opinion) and she loved it. It's not a diet it's healthy portion control and if your not active you can do the modified work outs. I was told however to UP my dairy from 1 a day to 3....Have a healthy pregnancy :smiley:
  • I wouldn't do any planned diet regiment without speaking to your doctor and ensuring that it accounts for pregnancy.
  • I have done the 21 day fix (not extreme) a few times before I got pregnant, and I would do anything to be able to do it right now but I'm just too sick :(
    Don't worry about the people attacking you, they clearly don't understand the difference between healthy lifestyle and fad diets. As long as you don't do the calorie deficit (which you already explained you aren't doing) you aren't going to be losing any weight. You are doing right for yourself and your baby, it is so important to stay healthy during pregnancy. You do want to gain a little weight though so like some others have said, maybe add an extra portion of something and drink more milk (dairy is very important while pregnant!) And stay away from the exercises where you have to lay on your back, even the arm/upperback ones! You can modify those by doing them standing up. There's no moves that I would call high impact in the videos, but there are a few things like the skater jumps or whatever they're called I would be careful with. Just listen to your body! You sound like you have it all figured out and just needed a little reassurance. If you haven't worked out in months and want to start up again, you should definitely talk to your doctor and start out slow. But if you haven't stopped exercising and just want to change up your routine I don't see a reason not to! Good luck! A healthy life is a happy life!
  • BAmbornBAmborn member
    edited March 2015

I agree with what a lot of the ladies who have done the workout have suggested. I to am a 21 day user and lover. I am actually also a coach within the program although not very active but do get to read a ton of interesting information.

There are plenty of women who do the 21 day fix throughout their pregnancy, more so for the workout then for the eating regime. As @nursej519 recommended you may want to do your research a bit further, and stick with the maintain intake and add some- that is the one suggestion I have read across the board in terms of pregnancy and the workout. The other thing is- have you ever had shakeology in the program? I dropped it from my diet in first trimester due to the high count of Vitamin A but have added it back in late into my second trimester and love it. I don't use it as a supplement for a meal at all, just a healthier option then digging into that bag of chips or carton of ice cream.

Lastly- as you mentioned stick with the modified versions and TAKE YOUR TIME, there's a whole new weight spread going on in your body so the easy squats and lunges before will definitely catch you off guard. If you have any way to check your form while doing it-do it. I find myself almost having to over-correct my squats to ensure proper form because I think my back is straight and it is far from!

Feel free to reach out to me direct and I can try and give you some further information or set you up with some of the coaches and facebook groups that can give continued advice and support.

• Im a coach and do it and am 15wpregnant. I modify moves... No laying on back when it's no longer allowed, pacing myself, etc... I worked out prior to pregnancy, and am keeping up with the same workouts just modifying... I took 8 weeks off cause of sickness, but not following the meal plan.. Still not able to stomach a lot. Obviously, you wouldn't follow the low calorie bracket and would eat well, and enough for pregnancy. If you worked out prior to pregnancy you can keep up with your workouts, if you never worked out, ask dr for recommendations , you shouldn't push yourself , but he healthy and active. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Look up trim healthy mama or thm beginners on Facebook. It is an extremely healthy meal plan that is perfectly balanced for pregnancy.
  • You can do this while pregnant, you just need to do a modified version of it. Talk to your doctor first to make sure you an the baby can handle it.