2nd Trimester

14-week Gender Determination Ultra-Sound

hello! my DH and I scheduled an ultrasound on Valentine's Day, but I'll only be 14 weeks and 2 days along. This is my first pregnancy, so while we are oozing with excitement, I am also hesitant to be confident, even a little bit, with the results of the ultra sound even though the place I booked it at said they can determine gender at 13 weeks via ultrasound.

Anyone have any experiences to share regarding an ultra sound this early???

Thanks!

Re: 14-week Gender Determination Ultra-Sound

• Yeah, I would not be confident that anyone could tell me my baby's sex with certainty at 14 weeks. That's far too early. If you really want to spend the money, go ahead, but I wouldn't announce or buy pink or blue until the actual anatomy scan (which also isn't even 100%).
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nope. Can't determine gender from an ultrasound, and way too early to accurately find out the sex.
  • Loading the player...
  • They couldn't determine my sex at 18.5 weeks and I still didn't want to do an elective because of unnecessary testing/exposure. That said I had to do a follow up after they found some issues (all clear now). Ultrasounds are a diagnostic tool and I side eye when they are used for fun.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I had an NT scan at 13 weeks 5 days and they were able to tell me it was 95% a boy. I didn't reveal the sex until after the anatomy scan though, which I had at 22 weeks (It was in fact a boy). I also got an elective ultrasound at around 11 weeks because DH had not had the chance to attend the previous u/s due to school and work. Well worth the money and we don't regret it one bit. That being said, 14 weeks is early but sometimes they can give you an idea of what they see, sometimes they can't. I would wait until the anatomy scan to confirm and reveal the sex but that's just me. I don't see anything wrong with you getting an elective u/s though, if you can afford it go for it ;) good luck!
  • Check if they do refunds or redo if they cant find it! Mine does...but were not going In til sixteen weeks
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • menta84 said:
    I had an NT scan at 13 weeks 5 days and they were able to tell me it was 95% a boy. I didn't reveal the sex until after the anatomy scan though, which I had at 22 weeks (It was in fact a boy). I also got an elective ultrasound at around 11 weeks because DH had not had the chance to attend the previous u/s due to school and work. Well worth the money and we don't regret it one bit. That being said, 14 weeks is early but sometimes they can give you an idea of what they see, sometimes they can't. I would wait until the anatomy scan to confirm and reveal the sex but that's just me. I don't see anything wrong with you getting an elective u/s though, if you can afford it go for it ;) good luck!

But why pay for something that is likely to be wrong or not able to be determined? What good would a cutesy valentines day announcement be if 4-6 weeks later you discover it was wrong? Of course that's always a possibility but if I'm forking over cash for an elective ultrasound I'd want better odds than you'd have at 14 weeks.
  • smeame14 said:

I side eye this for MANY reasons:

1) Its Sex not Gender. Two completely different things.

2) you scheduled an elective ultrasound BEFORE your actual anatomy scan. What if there is something alarming, and you have a no one that can tell you what is going on?

3) 14 weeks is WAY too early. I would not be going around and announcing it. Boys and girls still look similar at that stage.

4) why expose your developing fetus to more ultrasound waves than medically necessary?

5) your anatomy scan should be around six weeks of this "fun" ultrasound......practice some patience. If baby does cooperate, the chances will be greater that its accurate. BUT that u s not whatvthe anatomy scan is for. I ts to be sure your baby is growing properly and is healthy.

There is no 100% guarentee its a boy or girl until birth.

All of this. ^^

I understand that you are excited, but patience is really a good thing. I promise you'll find out soon enough.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We are doing something similar at an elective ultrasound facility that specializes in these kinds of things. Do your research on the place, look at what customers have to say. I would go on the places reputation rather than advice from strangers on the internet :)
  • Definitely wouldn't change my mind on having the elective ultrasound if your heart is set on it! Just keep what you find out between you and your husband...they can confirm the results at your anatomy scan...then share! I think that is a great way to spend Valentine's Day!
  • smeame14 said:
    @smeame14 my doctor was very much ok with it and no risks were mentioned. I trust him and no, I did not do anything wrong. DH was extremely happy to finally be able to see his baby, it's not like I'm getting an u/s per day, chill. It was perfectly fine.
    I completely side eye your doctor!

This. Ultrasounds aren't risk free. I'm not necessarily in the anti elective camp, but it's naive to think they're 100% safe.
  • There is a blood test that you can take...it is more extensive than IPS testing and more accurate. You could take it as early as 8 weeks and it gives the full determination of whether your kid is girl/boy. It also doesn't expose your baby to the radiation.

However it's quite expensive, upwards of $1000. Not sure if it is worth doing that now because you will find out in a few weeks anyway.
  • I don't think it's fair to say that it's "way too early" to determine the sex. Especially if it's a boy. We had our NT scan at just shy of 14 weeks and she said 80% it's a boy. Of course, I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but it's not impossible.
  • There is a blood test that you can take...it is more extensive than IPS testing and more accurate. You could take it as early as 8 weeks and it gives the full determination of whether your kid is girl/boy. It also doesn't expose your baby to the radiation.

However it's quite expensive, upwards of $1000. Not sure if it is worth doing that now because you will find out in a few weeks anyway.
    It's also a genetic screen for serious health issues. It makes me angry to see it suggested for funsies just to find out how the kid will pee. JFC.
    X1000. Most people getting the test are so due to serious serious health concerns not for fucking fun. I'm side eyeing the shit out ofsuggesting to pay $1000 to see how your child pees a couple weeks early.

• You can find out as early as 15 weeks, that's when I did
  • I'm only a FTM, but we had our 2nd scan yesterday at 12.6 and got a pretty clear picture of "something" between the legs: our doctor said she felt 85%-90% confident. We were already expecting a boy, but we're not rushing out to buy blue or tell the world. However, our birthing center has some REALLY flashy, cutting edge ultrasound technology not available in most of offices, which I guess could make a difference. The safety/danger of ultrasounds is debated, just like vaccines and non-organic diets. If you have the resources, enjoy yourself, but don't be disappointed if nothing can be seen. Most of those private companies allow you to come back in or obtain a refund if they're unable to determine.
  • @futuremrsmachado With my first I had an ultrasound at 14 weeks (not scheduled to find out sex but for other reasons) and my Dr asked if I wanted to know the sex because he could see it quite clearly. We found out we were having a boy (and it was a boy), and yes, we did share the news with our family and close friends - no regrets, I'd do the same again. So I do think in some cases it's possible to find out that early and it's a personal choice whether or not you want to share. If it's wrong and turns out to be the opposite sex, so what, no big deal - it's YOUR friends and family, they won't hate you for it! LOL You'll probably just laugh about it together. Please enjoy your pregnancy and be excited it's an amazing time/experience.
  • I don't believe "identical" is accurate. Our doctor said that testicles appear or form (can't remember which) at about 13 weeks, although they're usually very difficult to see. My office is using some new type of equipment that is described as high-tech ultrasound mixed with (harmless) cinemanic MRI technology, if that makes sense to anyone--I have no clue what she said the actual, medical name of it was. Seeing as she's one of the top docs in my state and coastal region, I have no issue taking her word. I should also mention we're measuring a bit ahead on growth.
  • ammc07ammc07 member
    edited February 2015
    With DD we had an ultrasound at exactly 15 weeks (due to issues) and were able to tell that she was a girl. This time I did get an elective ultrasound at 15w again and we were told it's a girl again. They were able to get multiple angle shots and it was girl from every angle. 

My OB office offers optional ultrasounds for the reveal and they schedule you between 14 and 17 weeks if you chose to have it done. 
  • Like many others who posted, my OB was fairly certain that I was having a girl at our 16 week ultrasound. She did emphasize that although she was 90% sure, she's had a few surprises in her 30 year career (2 to be exact). We waited until our 20 week anatomy scan and she was able to confirm that it was a girl then.

I say do what you want. if you want to pay the extra for another ultrasound go for it. You only have your first pregnancy once. And the excitement can be fun. I really enjoyed buying my baby beats app and trying to record my babies heartbeat. totally unnecessary and I only recorded the heartbeat successfully once. But whateves! Enjoy it!!!

• I don't believe "identical" is accurate. Our doctor said that testicles appear or form (can't remember which) at about 13 weeks, although they're usually very difficult to see. My office is using some new type of equipment that is described as high-tech ultrasound mixed with (harmless) cinemanic MRI technology, if that makes sense to anyone--I have no clue what she said the actual, medical name of it was. Seeing as she's one of the top docs in my state and coastal region, I have no issue taking her word. I should also mention we're measuring a bit ahead on growth.

@BeautifulBedlam at 13 weeks the testicles are still in the abdomen and don't descend until about 27 weeks.  Regardless of the technology, your doctor is mistaken or you misunderstood.  Even if your baby is measuring a few weeks ahead, it's not defying the laws of science.  Unless Edward Cullen impregnated you.

Love this response it's hilarious love the Twilight reference... lol Thanks for the laugh
  • FTM that is AMA. 
    We had a Maternit21 screening test done at 11 weeks (with ultrasound). The ultrasound was not done to determine boy/girl but to show other things going on. 

There are no studies that show ultrasounds cause problems, but none that say they are perfectly safe. As it's your baby in your womb, you do what you and your doctor think is acceptable. I have had some issues, and had 2 ultrasounds with in days of one another. My next one (barring any other issues) will be at 20 weeks where they'll check to make sure she is growing the way she should. My insurance is not the greatest, and it's the bills that scare me not necessarily having too many ultrasounds. 

Besides, what is too many? If a woman has a ton of problems and has 6 or 7, and another woman with no issues elects to have 3 or 4...You do you, and if your office is confident they can tell you what you are having...then enjoy the knowledge. 
  • edited March 2015
  • Ultrasounds do not use radiation.
  • I see nothing wrong with 1 elective ultrasound, she talked about having one not 15!!! What about the mothers with complications? Even if minor you still get an ultrasound almost every visit? Or moms with twins? They get many as well. I've had 5 and I'm only 23 wks. None elective but because they couldn't get the necessary pics and still can't so I will have my 6th in 2 wks.
  • I had a 3D/4D with a doctor at 13 weeks and was told with certainty that it was a girl, and just had it confirmed at 15w4d that it was 100% a girl. I had an emergency appendectomy so I have had more ultrasounds then normal to check on the baby.. But with an experienced doctor and a clear shot (if baby cooperates!) then you can tell the sex early.
    "There is no friendship, no love, like that of a mother for her child"

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Just to add I had my elective ultrasound that is identified as a gender determination scan, at 14 weeks and it was clear as day a girl, three distinct white lines, confirmed weeks later at my anatomy scan. I researched and found an award winning medically trained place near me to do it. No harm done and my midwife was perfectly fine with it. Its really a risk if you go to a kiosk in the mall with a 16 year old with no training guessing at the settings on the machine and going for an hour long scan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"