Multiples

Moms of Twins - what was your NEWBORN sleep routine?

mstarr222mstarr222 member
edited February 2015 in Multiples
Did you get them on the same sleep schedule? Did you wake one up when the other awoke to achieve this? I can't imagine waking a sleeping baby! When did you start the routine? If you didn't have them on the same sleep schedule, do you wish you did something differently? How about you and your SO's sleep schedule? Any other advice?

Re: Moms of Twins - what was your NEWBORN sleep routine?

• Sorry I know there is a similar post below but it didn't get anything about what actually does work... Maybe because nothing does lol?!
  • We did one up, both up for night feedings. It's the only way to go. There was one time I didn't wake the sleeping one up and that was the last time I did it. The sleeping twin was up an hour later to eat and then an hour after that, the other was up. That made for a very rough night and cranky momma. So glad we're past that stage. Good luck to you!

TTC #1 since December 2009
    IVF #1 - 6/2 Start Stims 6/14 ER 6/19 ET (2 embies transferred) BFP 6/27/11! Beta #1 87 Beta #2 197!! 1st U/S 7/19 (5 embies in storage!)
    7/19/11 -- One Beautiful Heart Beat!!
    It's a BOY!!

Jack Austin born at 37w; 2/10/2012

Working on Baby #2; FET scheduled for 1/8/2013!!! Cancelled due to nasty flu sickness :(
    FET 1.0 re-scheduled for 2/26/13! -- BFN
    FET #2 scheduled for May 2013 -- BFN
    Onto IVF #2....scheduled for June 2013, cancelled due to high estrogen levels
    IVF 2.1 re-scheduled for Sept. 2013 ER 9/26. ET 10/1 (2 transferred, 1 in storage). BFP 10/10 beta #1 105, beta #2 255
    Ultrasound 11/1 -- TWINS!!
    Both Girls!! <br>

Harper Grace & Hailey Ryann born at 33w6d; 5/8/2014!

• Loading the player...
  • Hi! We did one up both up until they only ate once per night. It actually took me and my husband a few weeks of "should we or shouldn't we?" before we finally let the sleeping one stay asleep. You don't mess with success! lol But, I think we finally finished that around 2 months or so. Sometimes one will sleep all night, sometimes they will both get up. Hope you get some rest!
  • Since mine spent a couple of days in the NICU, they were already on a schedule when they got home - eating every 3 hours, sleeping in between.  

We would start one but would always wake the second during the same time frame (within 15 minutes).  If we staggered any longer, there was absolutely no break in between by the time we fed, burped, fed, burped, changed, soothed back to bed and pumped.

Once it became clear as they got older than one was a better sleeper and would sleep longer stretches, we stopped one up, both up.

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • Thank you! And you fed them both at the same time with them propped on pillows or you and your husband both woke up and held and fed one baby?
  • We had a night nanny until my boys were 12 weeks old. She did a version of one up both up - would feed the first one that woke, and then the second one right after (if he hadn't woken already). By then they were typically only waking up 2/night and I was getting up with them doing one up/both up. I would feed them in the rock and plays pulled up to the rocking chair - it worked great. I did one up both up until I night weaned them around 7 months old - it was just easier. One of my twins probably would have STTN earlier if I had stopped, but I didn't know and wasn't going to risk him waking again a little bit later. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My twins are 6 weeks old and we are on a three hour feeding schedule during the day and let them sleep up to four hours during the night.. My husband and I both get up unless the night nurse is on duty. (She is with us 3-4 nights a week) She feeds both at the same time by using the rock n play method a previous poster. During the day when I am home alone with them I also use this method. Starting at 8 weeks we will let them sleep as long as they want at night but still wake and feed the twin who doesn't wake because feeding on demand with two isn't an option for us. I only have night help until 12 weeks so I am praying they will at least sleep 5-6 hour stretches by then!
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• NICU was a godsend in a way because they came home on a 3 hour feeding schedule instead of the 2 hour one my son came home with.  But newborn schedule,we definitely did one up both up.  They pretty much regulated themselves and stuck to that 3 hours.  At first it was hard to feed both at the same time because you are trying to hold bottles and stop and burp, and everyone gets upset.  It kind of works best at first if you can do one, and then the other right after, or start feeding the second one after burping at the midway point of the first one. They are so small at first and controlling everything can be tough.  Gets easier with practice though. 
    I squished them both into a single boppy, and used rolled up cloth diapers to help prop bottles if I needed to.  I also found if I had the boppy turned so the babies were facing away from me, I could bottle feed them more comfortably if I was on the floor.  
    If you wait til everyone wakes up on their own, all you'll be doing is feeding babies and changing diapers.  The one up both up allows you to sleep a little between feedings.  It has to happen during the day too.  I also suggest taking shifts with your H so you can each get a 4 hour stretch of sleep.  That 4 hours is very important to your ability to function.
    Basically the newborn phase is the survival phase.  Do what you need to do, ask for help and accept it.  

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Thank you for the specific ideas! Exactly what i was hoping for!
  • Mine are one up, both up.  Even at 10 months.  It is hard when you don't do it and the other wakes up a couple hours after the first one, then they are on different eating schedules and it is a little hard to correct during the day.

My boys were SO good at sleep eating when they were newborns, it made "waking" them SO much easier.  I did one at a time for snuggles and they ate fairly quickly.  I didn't speak to them and I kept it as dark as I could.  Sometimes I would put on white noise because I pumped right after.  They were in RnPs in our room until they were 4 months old.  When they were that age I would put them in the Twin Z Pillow and feed them both at the same time.  They are 10 months old now and still do really good at "sleep eating."

Good luck, momma!
    image    image    image    image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"