June 2015 Moms

DHs Say the Darndest Things

My DH says nutty stuff related to LO, pregnancy, pregnant-lady issues, etc all the time, but what he said RE: LO's movement takes the cake: When he got to feel LO kick for the first time yesterday, I asked him to describe what it felt like to him: He said, "It felt like a strange energy that I can't describe. Almost like lightening striking." Okay, wtf? I was expecting like, "a thump' or a "a small punch" or something, but he got all weird on me. It was pretty adorable seeing his face when he felt it. I think it really meant a lot to him as a soon-to-be dad.

Any of your DHs or SOs say the darndest things related to your LO or your pregnancy? For those who have felt your baby kick from the outside already, how did he describe it?

Me: 31
     DH: 34
Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

Re: DHs Say the Darndest Things

• That was a cute story. Bet it felt like lightening striking to him! Momentous! I don't really have anything to add except that DH saw me getting out of the shower the other day and gave me 'damn, babe. You're starting to get big'. (:| Not a very startling revelation, nor very PC of him, but he meant it kindly and gave the bump a pat as he said it so I didn't really care. We can't feel the Ewok from the outside yet. Soon, hopefully.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine wants to buy an RV this summer so we can take family camping trips. Ummmm...it's our first baby so it's not like we have older kids to take...you know ones that might actually remember the trip. When I asked if he was serious, his response was "Don't you think it would be fun to go to the Grand Canyon in the fall?" I just laughed...but seriously...with a 4 month old. No, I'd rather go when he's old enough to remember it.
  • DH felt the baby flip around for the first time last week. He loved to feel her kick me but the full movement made him freak out. He was totally disgusted - I got upset. He refuses to feel again because it felt so awkward. I keep telling him he'll get over it, but he just can't seem to get that EWW factor out of his head. 
  • Mine just argued with the ultrasound tech at our a/s on Friday. Seriously asked her if she was sure and how she knew. We were both convinced it was a girl, so when she said boy, we were surprised, but it was still really funny.
  • DH asked why I was wearing stretchy pants to the office. I informed him they were NOT stretchy pants just that my lovely weight gain has made them pretty tight. He was mortified and so embarrassed. We had a great laugh and since then, ive retired the pants until after DS arrives. :)
  • My kids' dad has only been to 1 appointment in 3 pregnancies and is currently working out of state. When I texted him that the u/s showed girl, his response was simply "f@ck". Apparently a 3rd girl is too much to handle.
  • I met my husband for lunch while he was working this last weekend. I'm 20wks and I can just barely fit into a pair of my jeans, so I don't wear them much. He sees me and states, "I'm surprised you're in jeans, I'm surprised they still fit." Thank you honey, it's nice to see you too :-)
  • During an argument last week... "What do hormones have to do with a person's moods??? What does that have to do with how mad you are right now?"
  • My husband rubbed my belly and started singing the Baby Beluga song.... Sort of cute yet sort of a play on my belly & weight gain (which so far is only 7#'s @ 23 weeks!)
  • DH loves to feel our little girl kick and he always comes running over to feel when she's being active. He doesn't understand that you have to patient and they don't just kick on demand. He gets all sad when he doesn't feel it right away and claims she doesn't like him lol. He lights us when he feels her kick. He recently felt and saw a full movement. My belly was completely lopsided and hard and he goes "It's like an alien creature living inside of you ". Yes, honey, an alien creature. Made me chuckle. =)
  • When one of my co-workers had her baby last year I showed my husband a picture of the baby and he looked at me and asked "can babies open their eyes when their born?" He was dead serious. I died laughing and responded "they're not puppies!" His response... "well how should I know! The last baby that I knew when it was born was myself!" I can't wait to see what all he says after our baby girl arrives!

This sounds just like something my boyfriend would say. Lol I would have died too!
  • Dh had his hand on my tummy a few weeks ago and there was a kick - (i didn't think he'd be able to feel it and didn't say anything) he jumped and gave me a weird look at said what the he'll was that?! I said "ah...the baby!dah!" He was afraid to touch me again.... his face was priceless - he'd been so looking forward to feeling bubs move/kick but when he did....
  • Mine asked when will the baby get his dimples in. ( since he had them he thought the baby would too ) :-\"
  • Mine said "next thing you know he'll be popping out of your chest... like in Alien."

Guess I'm harboring an alien now guys =))
  • DH today: "I don't mean this in a bad way... but your belly is getting SO BIG."

Obviously that's what's supposed to happen during pregnancy and I didn't take offense to it... but if he said that to literally anyone else in any other situation he'd be in so much trouble! Made me laugh :)
  • KaLikeAWindKaLikeAWind member
    edited February 2015
    When DH and were talking due dates with a friend we realized I was EDD 3 days before the summer solstice. DH told me I'd have to "hold it in" until the 21st if baby tried to come before that. I'd like a solstice kid, tho, so hopefully it works out that way
  • shahoi said:

When DH felt baby girl for the first time, he said it felt like a perch nibbling on a worm lol.

This made me laugh out loud! We are
    Big in to fishing so it's something I would expect him to say!

• My hubby has felt the baby kick multiple times and he will just say, "whoah" or "cool" but sometimes when the baby's kicking me a lot and I tell he says " hey you in there be nice to your mother!" Cracks me up everytime.
  • Oh my husband called my boobs floppy today (I had tiny B's before and MAYBE small C's right now). I literally looked at him thinking of the best way to dismember him and he couldn't figure out why I was upset because "he didn't mean floppy in a bad way" (WTF) I know he didn't because he comments on how much he loves my boobs everyday but I was like...you need a better word.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I've recently really began showing and while I love it because it mean little man is growing, I feel like it happened over night. I mentioned last night to DH that I felt like I looked weird and his response was, "No, you just look bulbous". I'm sure he didn't mean it as an insult, but that's not exactly complimentary. Bless him, he didn't realize why it wasn't ok to say that
  • We are car shopping today and I asked if I should play up the pregnancy angle and wear a tighter shirt. My husband confessed he thought of this too, in that if we need to put pressure on or walk away from a bad deal, I can just say I'm not feeling well from baby stuff.
  • Lol I enjoyed all of your comments. My husbands says so many things it's hard to pick one, from refusing to read or go to birth class because he can just look it up on Youtube to being so kind to ask me if I need him to help me "Roll off the bed". Oh or double checking "are you should be eating that with all the weight you've gain?" or walking in the bedroom and seeing me laying on bed because of my pelvic pressure pain, to the point I can't move, and he starts "oh you're so chunky now, I love it" and seriouly wants to "get it on!" Hello! I wouldn't walk in the room and hear you complaining about terrible testicle pain and try to "get it on". Crazy husband... but I love him :)
  • @momof1tot‌ Awww. The loving the chunky and getting it on comments remind me of my man, who constantly says that skinny girls "need a steak" and affectionately pats my "nice, ample ass". Technically not typical compliment territory, but what the hey. They're good guys.
  • HayesRN13 said:

Our little guy kicks so hard, DH says it's because it's his kid and he's using my umbilical cord as a jump rope and pull-up bar, says he's already physical training in the womb lol. And to top it at our ultrasound he was totally flexing his "biceps", DH said "told you" so cute ;)

Something my bf would say lol
  • When one of my co-workers had her baby last year I showed my husband a picture of the baby and he looked at me and asked "can babies open their eyes when their born?" He was dead serious. I died laughing and responded "they're not puppies!" His response... "well how should I know! The last baby that I knew when it was born was myself!" I can't wait to see what all he says after our baby girl arrives!

When my son was being born and his head came out the nurse asked if he wanted to see. He looked just as DS turned his head and opened his eyes. That image is forever etched in my husbands memory. He said he will NOT be looking this time!
  • My husband so lovingly pointed out. "Look you have a new line" talking about a new stretch mark.. Thanks hun. BTW I'm having twins. I'm gonna get lots of new lines I'm sure. 8-}
  • Mine said "next thing you know he'll be popping out of your chest... like in Alien."

Guess I'm harboring an alien now guys =))

I love this, especially since until I found out the gender of LO I referred to him as my little chest-burster

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers