June 2015 Moms
Options

Changing hospitals

My husband and I have had to move out of our current house and move into another. I am a bit concerned as we have moved a bit further away from my current hospital. There is however, a different hospital closer but not a fan of it.
Should I just change to the closer one (despite not being as confident in it) or drive 30/40mins to my current hospital? (I am 23wks)

Re: Changing hospitals

• Options
    Well, one more thing you'll need to consider is if your current OB can come to the hospital near you. In my area, most OBs only serve one hospital - which means if you don't want to deliver at a certain hospital, you need a new OB. Not sure if this is the case everywhere, but it's worth looking into.

If it were me, if I loved my current OB and current hospital, I'd take my chances with the distance. Keep in mind that I'm a FTM - moms who have actually given birth before might tell you that it's worth it to go to your second choice doctor/hospital to have a shorter commute when baby comes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, I'm a FTM too, and would have to get a new OB.
    Leaning towards doing the drive, hard to know when not really knowing what to expect!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, with my current OB I would definitely take my chances with the commute. I started out with a different doctor and had some red flags so I switched. I trust the doctors at my current practice SO much more and wouldn't want to risk having another subpar OB if I switched. Good luck - it sounds like a tough decision!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There is a hospital about 10 mins from me, and the hositpal I delivered DD at is 35 mins from my house, but I go there because it's better and I love my OB.
  • Options
    My hospital is 35 minutes without traffic....when I went in with DD it was during rush hour and it took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there. So I say stick with the hospital you are comfortable with.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
    Feeling a lot more confident to go with the one I feel more comfortable at!
    Thankyou x
  • Options
    Your an FTM. You will have plenty of time to get to the hospital. If you were a STM or TTM then I would advise no. :)
  • Options
    I actively chose a hospital 55 minutes away over the closest one at 30 minutes away because it's better overall and has good OBs. From what I hear us FTMs should have plenty of time to get to the hospital. Here's hoping!
  • Options
    I drive past a few hospitals to get to the hospital I am delivering at because I love my hospital and the midwives that I go to. If you love your OB and your hospital, I would stay there! 40 minute drive isn't too bad! :)
  • Options
    My OB and hospital are both 40 minutes away. I wouldn't change, especially for a hospital I don't like - which is why I am so willing to make the drive. To each their own, but make sure you ate comfortable with whatever you chose!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby June Bug is due June 5, 2015
    [[Our first, our little surprise]]
  • Options
    Where I live all hospitals with an ob department are a minimum of 45 minutes away. So 40 minutes, doesn't sound bad at all.
  • Options
    RedlipzRedlipz member
    edited February 2015
    First daughter I delivered at the hospital I was supposed to and I absolutely loved it. With my son, we had bought a house in another city and I hated the hospital where I was supposed to deliver so when I went into labor with my son I drove to the hospital I delivered my daughter in and told them that I had came from the opposite direction and couldn't make it to the other hospital and that the pain was too insane to try. This time around I'm back in the same town as my preferred hospital but because of my insurance I have to deliver in another city where my OB is and I LOVE my OB but I'm planning to call before going there to see if he is delivering that day, if he is not then I'm going to my comfort hospital and telling them the same story I did last time. Labor "should be" about 4 hours this time so I think I can pull it off.

Point is, go to where you are comfortable and if you worry about making it on time just go as soon as contractions are about 7 minutes apart so you will be there by the time they are 2-3 minutes apart which is when they want you to go in.
  • Options
    I drove 70 miles to my hospital for my first birth it wasn't a big deal
  • Options
    I agree with most everyone. If I loved my current OB, I'd probably just deal with the drive instead of trying to settle for the closer one.
  • Options
    devyns2nddevyns2nd member
    edited February 2015
    I'm 45 mins away from mine. We have three that are closer but I sacrificed with DD because I was afraid I wouldn't make it in time if I traveled further and I definatly regretted it after.
  • Options
    I chose a hospital that is about 40 minutes away even though there are others much closer. Mainly because it's one of the best in the area and I love my OB. It's definitely worth the drive.
  • Options
    What pretty much everyone else said - 30/40 minutes isn't too far to travel to a hospital under normal circumstances (of course, if there is an emergency you should obviously get to whatever hospital is closest). Do whatever you're most comfortable with. My sister uses a hospital in Boston as opposed to one closer to her town despite living 50 minutes away from the city because she loves Boston hospitals (although who wouldn't).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"