March 2015 Moms
Options

Afraid to call dr

Is anyone else afraid to call their doctors? I have had a few times where I needed to call about symptoms and I feel like the on call nurses make me feel bad for calling. And now I'm 32w 3d and over the weekend my baby dropped and I lost some, if not all of my mucus plug, today I'm having tons of lower back pain and sharp pains I'm my vagina. I called (during regular business hours) and again they made me feel ridiculous because I was not having regular contractions. Anybody else feeling these symptoms and been told it's normal ?

Re: Afraid to call dr

• Options
    I can't help with the symptoms, but I do think you should always call if you think something isn't right! Or even just go to the hospital! It will make you feel better in the long run anyways.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Go to labor and delivery.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Back pain, vag pain, mucus, all normal pregnancy symptoms...
  • Options
    Head to the ER. Better safe than sorry!
  • Options
    Go to labor and delivery. Hope it's nothing but sounds like you should get things checked out. Tomorrow find a new ob office. If you call every day they shouldn't make you feel bad/uncomfortable for doing so. Good luck!
  • Options
    takerany said:

Head to the ER. Better safe than sorry!

All the ER will do is take you to labor and delivery. They have no clue whatsoever what to do with a laboring mother.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Stop being afraid to call your doctor. Even if someone is rude to you, you still have every right to call. After having my son, I realized that it really doesn't matter how I feel, as long as I am doing everything I can for my child. I just need to do what is right for him whether that involves calling the nurse line over and over or taking him to be checked by a physician multiple times.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well as long as she gets to the hospital, ER or not, she'll get to labor & delivery and they'll know just what to do for her. I just wanted her to be around medical personnel. @Peledreamsofrain‌
  • Options

OP, you do realize you hired them to provide a service, right? In that respect, doctors are no different hairstylists or a gardeners or taxi drivers. If those people treated you rudely and didn't answer your questions, you'd fire them in a heartbeat, right?

My OBs office welcomes calls anytime, day or night, and answers my "stupid questions" with smiles and reassurances - because that's their job. I suggest you find a new practice.

• Options
    Yes, I have been apprehensive about calling my doctor sometimes, but mostly because I feel like I am just creating issues in my head at this point. 

You should always call or go in if you feel like something is truly wrong. I'm sitting on the "if my water doesn't break/I'm not bleeding and the baby is still moving regularly I'm probably fine" post. 

• Options
    Time to put on some big girl panties and get over it. Not everyone is going to cradle you and whisper sweet, sweet comfort into your ear.

I went to the hospital this weekend with flank pain and symptoms of a UTI. Yes, my kidneys were mad about LO's positioning. But the UTI symptoms? They couldn't be explained because all pee tests came back with no bacterial growth.

Do I feel stupid for going to the hospital with some symptoms that couldn't be explained? Not even a little.

I don't worry about what the doctor and nurses think about me. I took charge of the health of myself and my LO. If I failed to do so because I was scared to call my doctor, and then something happened to LO, I would never forgive myself.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 28 | SO: 28
    BFP: July 22, 2014 | EDD: March 28, 2015
    For Suzy and all M15 Loss Moms
  • Options
    Never too late in the game to change providers. You should always be respected.
  • Options
    The "operator" nurses are always rude to me when I call out of hours with a question. I have done it a lot lol. One time I had to say to one of them when she got snarky with me asking if this was an "emergency" or could I call during normal hours and I couldn't hear her, so she raised her voice and got rude with me. and I said "yes, this is an emergency question and you do not have to be rude to me or can I speak to somebody else?" She turned nice real quick. A doctor on call always calls back. Don't let it bother you there's always nice people in the medical field but then you have the rude ones. And definitely don't let it stop you from calling.
  • Options
    It's not too late to switch. Are there other doctors in the practice?
  • Options
    aletto30 said:
    My nurses are always so helpful but my doctor is so rude! I thought things would get better as I got farther along but it hasn't. I dread asking him questions. He actually lectures my DH when he has a question. I feel it's too late to switch.
    Make sure to leave a review about how you were treated! I rely on reviews (as well as personal interviews) when I go to find a new doctor and I don't always see people write reviews for doctors. Also, find a new doctor. You don't deserve to feel like you can't ask your doctor questions - that's where he should want you to get answers from! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    For SuzyQ and all the M15 losses

• Options
    jillbabe91jillbabe91 member
    edited February 2015
    @aletto30‌ there's no reason for him to lecture y'all! He's supposed to help through pregnancy not give you lectures like kids if that's what he is doing. I don't think it is never too late to switch. I switched doctors at 20 weeks cause the first was not very helpful and I felt like I was just a chore to her. They have 5 different gynos at my clinic though with the same office.
  • Options
    aletto30 said:

My nurses are always so helpful but my doctor is so rude! I thought things would get better as I got farther along but it hasn't. I dread asking him questions. He actually lectures my DH when he has a question. I feel it's too late to switch.

Is your doctor lecturing you because you are not following his advice? Or is he just being a jerk? Two different scenarios. If he's scolding you guys for not taking precautions or listening to his directions, then he's doing his job. If he's just being an ass, time to switch. My doctor scolded me when I put on a little too much weight during a check in. I know it was all for my health and safety, as well as the baby. I rather have a doctor that's upfront, honest, and capable, than one that is just nice to me.
  • Options
    aletto30 said:

@KD32412‌
    the doc lectures my husband for questioning anything. My husband worries more than I do about what is "normal" during pregnancy and I can tell our doctor gets so irritated with him. He apparently can't have his word questioned. At first I actually asked my husband to stop and then I was like......no we have every right to ask anything, especially with this being our first. I'm definitely going to rate him on any site that I can.

Yeah. That's not ok. He should be glad your husband cares and asks questions! Your doctor should be used to being asked millions of questions by first timers, it kind of goes with the territory. Same applies for pediatricians! We ask the craziest questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"