Off to Florida!! Am I Crazy?! — The Bump
August 2014 Moms

Off to Florida!! Am I Crazy?!

summerfunxosummerfunxo
250 Love Its 100 Comments Second Anniversary Photogenic
edited February 2015 in August 2014 Moms
H and I just finished booking our hotel in Florida and although excited I'm a little worried. DS is gonna be 7.5 months old by then and we are planning on driving. We live in Ontario and from where we are it is about a 24 hr drive one way.... We have done this trip many times before but I'm a little concerned with how we will fare with the little one. We are planning on stopping half way through for a night to break up the driving. 
What I'm wondering is: Is there anyone with experience doing something like this? I'm EBF so I think that will make it easier. What I want to know is am I crazy or do people do this lol.

Re: Off to Florida!! Am I Crazy?!

• I've never traveled anywhere very far with a baby but I'm a wuss when it comes to that sort of thing. It's probably because my LO doesn't like being confined very long &I'm not brave enough to attempt it.
    Not much advice here but good luck! :) I think in the end it will make for a good adventure for ya!
    summerfunxo
  • dogperson11dogperson11
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    edited February 2015
    We drove from northern OR to southern CA at Christmas with a 3.5 month old. It's a 14 hour drive each way with OUT a baby and we were pleasantly surprised that it only took 16 hours with her. We did the bulk of the driving at night and when we would stop for gas I would feed and change her. She was a little frazzled and clingy the first day we arrived but ok besides that. I'm guessing next year won't be as easy because she'll be mobile and wanting to move a lot more. I think we'll have up stick to night time driving.

ETA: make sure there's enough space in the backseat to sit next to them if needed and for diaper changes.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
    summerfunxo
  • Loading the player...
  • You can do it! Long drive and may take longer than usual ... Where in Fl?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

summerfunxo
  • Hey thanks for the replies everyone! @belle785 we're going to Sarasota and staying on Lido Key. @dogperson11 so good to hear that driving at night worked for you! that's what we were thinking of doing :) I feel so much more confident now lol 

• Hey thanks for the replies everyone! @belle785 we're going to Sarasota and staying on Lido Key. @dogperson11 so good to hear that driving at night worked for you! that's what we were thinking of doing :) I feel so much more confident now lol 

Yes night driving was the way to go. We left about 2 hours before "bedtime" then when bedtime came we stopped, I nursed, and we continued on. Only stopped every 4 hours and got gas and fed/changed her. On the way home we drove until 11pm then stopped in a motel for the night. When she woke up at 4:30am for a feeding we hit the road again and she slept until her usual 7/8am. It was nice to stop on the way back, even though it was brief. The Boppy pillow was a lifesaver for whoever wasn't driving - that thing was an awesome travel pillow for sleeping in the car :-)
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017