August 2014 Moms

Off to Florida!! Am I Crazy?!

summerfunxosummerfunxo member
edited February 2015 in August 2014 Moms
H and I just finished booking our hotel in Florida and although excited I'm a little worried. DS is gonna be 7.5 months old by then and we are planning on driving. We live in Ontario and from where we are it is about a 24 hr drive one way.... We have done this trip many times before but I'm a little concerned with how we will fare with the little one. We are planning on stopping half way through for a night to break up the driving. 
What I'm wondering is: Is there anyone with experience doing something like this? I'm EBF so I think that will make it easier. What I want to know is am I crazy or do people do this lol.

Re: Off to Florida!! Am I Crazy?!

• I've never traveled anywhere very far with a baby but I'm a wuss when it comes to that sort of thing. It's probably because my LO doesn't like being confined very long &I'm not brave enough to attempt it.
    Not much advice here but good luck! :) I think in the end it will make for a good adventure for ya!
  • dogperson11dogperson11 member
    edited February 2015
    We drove from northern OR to southern CA at Christmas with a 3.5 month old. It's a 14 hour drive each way with OUT a baby and we were pleasantly surprised that it only took 16 hours with her. We did the bulk of the driving at night and when we would stop for gas I would feed and change her. She was a little frazzled and clingy the first day we arrived but ok besides that. I'm guessing next year won't be as easy because she'll be mobile and wanting to move a lot more. I think we'll have up stick to night time driving.

ETA: make sure there's enough space in the backseat to sit next to them if needed and for diaper changes.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • You can do it! Long drive and may take longer than usual ... Where in Fl?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hey thanks for the replies everyone! @belle785 we're going to Sarasota and staying on Lido Key. @dogperson11 so good to hear that driving at night worked for you! that's what we were thinking of doing :) I feel so much more confident now lol 
  • Hey thanks for the replies everyone! @belle785 we're going to Sarasota and staying on Lido Key. @dogperson11 so good to hear that driving at night worked for you! that's what we were thinking of doing :) I feel so much more confident now lol 

Yes night driving was the way to go. We left about 2 hours before "bedtime" then when bedtime came we stopped, I nursed, and we continued on. Only stopped every 4 hours and got gas and fed/changed her. On the way home we drove until 11pm then stopped in a motel for the night. When she woke up at 4:30am for a feeding we hit the road again and she slept until her usual 7/8am. It was nice to stop on the way back, even though it was brief. The Boppy pillow was a lifesaver for whoever wasn't driving - that thing was an awesome travel pillow for sleeping in the car :-)
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"