2nd Trimester

Subway during Pregnancy?

I have been extremely sick so far throughout my pregnancy and cold, Subway turkey sandwiches are one thing that seem to sit well with my stomach. However, I just recently read that Subway is terrible for you during pregnancy. I have eaten quite frequently and now I am scared! Any input? Also, anyone know whether caffeine free coke is okay?

Re: Subway during Pregnancy?

• My Dr told me not to eat any lunch meat unless I heat it up to the point it is steaming. It's a concern about Listeria bacteria. Don't worry about the stuff you have already eaten f you haven't gotten sick from it so far.

You should consult your Dr though as many have different recommendations. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Subway has been one of my favourites while pregnant. Personally, I've been sticking to veggie subs because I'm not comfortable eating deli meats right now and don't like their cooked chicken breast. Talk to your doctor if you're concerned about it.
    As for the pop, I've had the occasional cup of regular coke because I'm limiting caffeine but not getting rid of it. I wouldn't drink caffeine free coke even when not pregnant because I don't like all the chemicals they put in. Again, you should always ask your doctor about any concerns you have and they can give you more information.

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • MamaBish said:
    My Dr told me not to eat any lunch meat unless I heat it up to the point it is steaming. It's a concern about Listeria bacteria. Don't worry about the stuff you have already eaten f you haven't gotten sick from it so far.

You should consult your Dr though as many have different recommendations. 
    Also don't eat any fruits or veggies, because those are more known to have listeria than lunch meat.  For example, https://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/granny_smith_gala_apple_recall_listeria_monocytogenes_california.html
    Obviously it happens with fruits and veggies, but most people know to wash these thoroughly before eating. I don't know a single person who washes their lunch meat before eating.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• I had a deli sandwich for lunch.  Deli meat is fine as long as it's from a place you trust and have eaten at before without getting sick.  If you're worried, get a hot sandwich instead.  Soda (caffeinated or not) is fine in moderation.  Obviously, it's not healthy to have 10 cans of soda a day whether you're pregnant or not, but one soda is fine.
  • Subway is terrible for you period.  Pregnant or not.  Low quality product filled with crap preservatives and lord only knows what else.  Eat subs for sure, just get them from somewhere good. 
    ^ +1  We fancy.  
  • I can't handle pre-sliced deli meat... I prefer the places that slice it as they build the sandwich. 

I've bought the hype and haven't had any deli meat since becoming pregnant, though I would love a ham and cheese on rye.

• I'd say you're fine.  You're getting it from a reputable source so I wouldn't worry about it.  I shared a big platter of salami, olives, and all the soft cheese you can imagine with my family at Christmas.  Washed it down with a small glass of red wine.  I was eating all the no-nos in the book, but it was delicious and I wasn't worried about it because the meat was fresh and had been vacuum sealed, the cheese was made from pasteurized milk and the wine equaled out to 5 sips.  

The only thing my Dr. said not to eat is raw sushi or undercooked meat. 

Ashleigh (26) and Darren (26)
    Married 8-10-13
    TTC since February 2014
    BFP #1 4-22-14  EDD 1-1-15
    8w u/s 5-22-14 Baby measuring 6w1d. Heartbeat detected
    Went to Dr. 5-30-14 due to bleeding. Prescribed progesterone
    Went to ER 6-1-14 2:30 AM - diagnosed with incomplete m/c
    6-6-14 natural m/c completed
    10-24-14 BFP #2 EDD 7-6-15 **Please** be our Rainbo

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
                                                                    BabyFruit TickerBabyFetus Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I like subway but I usually do veggie or tuna. And I don't stress about it. Dr says it's okay to eat tuna in moderation so I do. No biggy :)
  • Subway is terrible for you period.  Pregnant or not.  Low quality product filled with crap preservatives and lord only knows what else.  Eat subs for sure, just get them from somewhere good. 

#pretentious

;)

• I ate JJs like it was going out of style while I was pregnant. My doc said no, but I rebelled.
  • My OB said just to pay attention to listeria outbreaks and avoid as needed. Wasn't concerned. I also eat blue rare steak (OB said was fine) and I also eat sushi and sashimi (I get it only from sushi restaurants--never corner store or grocery store and always have it made fresh).

Baby is extremely healthy :) biggest concerns for these foods is cross contamination which can happen to any food. Just play it smart and be alert to media warnings.

I'd be crying without my sushi and sashimi right now--all I'm craving and it's one food that always agrees with my stomach. So, by all means, have subway. I eat plenty of that as well. I see more warnings for fruit and vegetables than lunchmeat anyways.

If we listened to every warning, none of us would be eating anything.
  • You're child is doomed to look like Jared the subway guy now. What have you done?!?!?!??!

#pretentious

;)

I just find it utterly ridiculous that people are so concerned about the very slim chance they might get listeria and like that's the only concern with the food they put in their bodies, but hey, you want to eat crap, go right on ahead.
    Yes, I'm aware you didn't get my jest because of the name change. I'll say Dylan's Candy Bar and maybe then you will know who I am and that I was just teasing you! ;)
  • I EAT SUBWAY ALL THE TIME BUT I'M VEGETARIAN AND HAVE THE VEGGIE PATTY, BELIEVE IT OR NOT ITS REALLY GOOD 
  • I EAT SUBWAY ALL THE TIME BUT I'M VEGETARIAN AND HAVE THE VEGGIE PATTY, BELIEVE IT OR NOT ITS REALLY GOOD 

The CAPS was necessary because?..
    [-X
  • I try to limit myself to one sub a week, but I don't heat up the meat....that's just disgusting. I can't just eat all crap and I love cold sandwiches, I guess I'm a rebel....lol.
    2nd Pregnancy, EDD 6/28/15 | Married 11/08 | Me: 33 DH: 36 | Step-son: 14 Son: 11
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a turkey sandwich yesterday! It was amazing!
  • I eat veggie subs, even before pregnancy. Sodium would be something to watch out for, but everything in moderation is okay.
  • Subway is not okay. Jimmy John's is fine. If you are truly worried about listeria I would cut out salad and fruit. There was an apple listeria outbreak recently.
  • I've been buying pizza dough, rolling it out and filling it with ham and cheese, then baking it at 350 for 20. It's a really yummy alternative for anyone not wanting to eat cold cuts, uh.... Cold.
  • Subway has been one of my favourites while pregnant. Personally, I've been sticking to veggie subs because I'm not comfortable eating deli meats right now and don't like their cooked chicken breast. Talk to your doctor if you're concerned about it.
    As for the pop, I've had the occasional cup of regular coke because I'm limiting caffeine but not getting rid of it. I wouldn't drink caffeine free coke even when not pregnant because I don't like all the chemicals they put in. Again, you should always ask your doctor about any concerns you have and they can give you more information.

Are you under the impression that regular coke has significantly fewer chemicals than diet coke? Because they're both full of unnatural additives. The only difference is that one has sugar and the other has artificial sugar....but it's not like the artificial sugar is the only "chemical" in diet soda!!
  • Aspartame is a vicious chemical. I don't do sugar free/diet for that reason.
  • This is making me want a sandwich !!
  • Just eat the damn subway.
  • I'd eat it. Oh yeah!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Subway is not okay. Jimmy John's is fine. If you are truly worried about listeria I would cut out salad and fruit. There was an apple listeria outbreak recently.

The issues with apples was two kinds from one source. Also, the apples were mostly used in prepackaged goods, such as caramel apples. The distributor also stopped shipping as of December 9th.

It is important to pay attention to current concerns, but to also dig a little to know exactly what you are dealing with.
  • megmamamegmama member
    edited February 2015
    I ate so much subway with my 1st and she is a very healthy 5 year old now :) It was one of the only things I could stomach in 1st Tri. Now w/ my 2nd, I eat 1 sub or so a week at least. Everything is fine. Personal preference for everyone, but if you don't feel comfortable with it, then I would try to get fresh cut meat subs from somewhere else. 
    Pregnancy Ticker    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"