Adoption
Options

As if we haven't been waiting long enough.... Grrrr!!

It was a year ago tomorrow that we attended the DCF open house and completed the initial application. We didn't have an interview/home visit until July and then we were told we "aren't a priority" because we are looking to adopt and not just to foster, so we weren't invited to start the class until November's class. Now, the past three classes have been cancelled due to freaking snow. Why does it have to snow on Mondays? Why can't it snow on some other day of the week? Now, instead of our last class being March 23rd, it's going to be towards the end of April. :((

Patience is a virtue. Patience is a virtue.
Happily married Mom to 2 beautiful little girls, 2 dogs and 2 cats (all rescues), 2 fish and one 29 year-old firebelly newt.
~ Hoping to add to our family by adoption via Connecticut DCF. Application submitted on 2/4/14. First home visit on 6/23/14. Started class 11/17/14.~

Re: As if we haven't been waiting long enough.... Grrrr!!

• Options
    Why would they say you are not a priority? One would think they not only want to find fosters but also people to adopt since those kids need their forever home.
    I very much hear ya... I have been waiting and waiting too...

patience is a virtue, a virtue I question if I have...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry...how frustrating!  Mother nature needs to get it together!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is frustrating! Screw the groundhog- bring on spring!

"Even miracles take a little time"

• Options
    That really sucks!  I hate snow, so I know how you feel!
    January 2014--Picked Agency, had informational Meeting and turned in Application
    June      2014--Started our Home Study (all paperwork &fingerprinting that ensued)
    August  2014--Finished our Home Study and Officially Waiting

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Options
    oliv0026 said:
    Why would they say you are not a priority? One would think they not only want to find fosters but also people to adopt since those kids need their forever home. I very much hear ya... I have been waiting and waiting too... patience is a virtue, a virtue I question if I have...
    They are in need of people who are open to more legal risk and we were applying for no legal risk, not realizing that we would never get a placement if we were only open to no legal risk with the age range we're interested in. Now that we have a better understanding of what that all means, looking back, we never would have put "no legal risk" on the initial application... and we'd probably be licensed by now. I wish the instructors at the open house had explained all that better, but hindsight is 20/20.
    Happily married Mom to 2 beautiful little girls, 2 dogs and 2 cats (all rescues), 2 fish and one 29 year-old firebelly newt.
    ~ Hoping to add to our family by adoption via Connecticut DCF. Application submitted on 2/4/14. First home visit on 6/23/14. Started class 11/17/14.~

• Options
    I'm sorry your wait is long!! And yes I agree with Monday snowstorms (we are in NY) they really are Mother Nature's way of teaching us patience sometimes.  We are waiting as well but we are waiting for the country of Peru to evaluate our dossier.  We have not heard from our agency in over 2 weeks and I sometimes wish they just send us a little note to let us know things are progressing.  I hope this coming Monday's predicted snow doesn't mess up another class for you :-( 
  • Options
    Well, I also wanted " no legal risk" but the fact we are open to older ages helps. We were also told if we want infant/ttoddler. it could take years.
    I just hate, all the waiting...who doesnt, right? So, I hear ya.
    I will be praying for you to have Sunny Mondays for next days classes are scheduled.
    I
  • Options
    JWinCTJWinCT member
    edited February 2015
    OH.MY.GOD. The weather guys are saying that it looks like another significant storm is coming this Sunday though Tuesday. I officially hate winter!!!
    ~X(

• Options
    Noooo!!!! Lets hope they are wrong! Sometimes they are wrong... maybe it wont be that much snow...
  • Options
    And, yup, tonight's class is cancelled. It's been snowing since last night and isn't supposed to stop until tonight. Ugh.

And, seriously, we have nowhere left to put all this snow. DH basically has to point the snowblower chute straight up in the air and hope it doesn't land back on the driveway. This is ridiculous!

• Options
    I'd just like to jump in here.  Weird how I can see signatures when I'm NOT logged in but when I do log in they disappear.  Hmm. 
    Anyway, I noticed that you're trying to adopt through CT DCF.  We adopted in CT, private adoption though.  My only experience with the foster system was when we were going through fertility treatments and decided we could still open our homes to foster kids while we were going through the process.  They actually rejected us, saying we couldn't be foster parents because WHAT IF we got pregnant?!  Seriously?  You'd let those kids sit in a group home instead of placing them with us on the off-chance I get pregnant?  Which never happened and we ended up adopting anyway.

But our adoption was completed through CT Adoptions and even though it was a private newborn adoption we were still at risk for about 6 months after our daughter was born.  The parents had all that time to change their minds.  It was a huge risk and while our case was unique and most birthparents only get about 3 months it's still a long time.
    Christa
    Adopted a baby girl in January 2013 via domestic infant adoption
    "One and Done!"  Now we spend our time traveling the world as a family

My Blog: Travel Fearlessly
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"