December 2014 Moms
Options

Vaccinations

I would assume most moms here are coming up on the 2 month mark sometime in February and that means shot time in the US. In Japan the shot schedule is a bit different but none the less needed/required.

As a FTM I'm not that enlightened about vaccinations. Yes I've read articles and seen the hype about them but to know which are best and which aren't needed as a baby and which can wait it's a daunting and overwhelming thing. This is a serious decision that really affects your little one and you want the best but should have all the info before making that decision blindly on 'because the doctor says so'...or so I feel.

So....

Any moms out there have any opinions or thoughts on this matter?

Re: Vaccinations

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I follow my doctors recommendations who follows the CDC schedule. The only time we delayed a vaccine (other than for illness) was when DS was due for 6-7 vaccines at once and my doctor recommended getting half then and half in another month so we didn't overload him all at once.

BFP #1 natural mc 4/24/2012 5w1d 
    BFP #2 DS born 3/30/2013 
    BFP #3 cp 2/6/2014 
    BFP #4 natural mc 3/19/2014 5w6d 
    BFP #5 4/27/2014 EDD 12/24/2014 --IT'S A GIRL!

image image 
  • Options
    Vaccinate. Everything unless there is a serious known risk. Consider also this is what we call modern day first world problems. Ppl dying in third world countries of rotavirus or something equally preventable don't say stop to the doctor. They want it bc they are terrified at the symptoms and everyone around them dying. In the 50s, ppl didn't even think to not get the polio vaccine bc it was terrifying when this diseae ripped through your neighborhood killing and crippling children you played with yesterday. Ppl lived this stuff. All medication carries an inherent risk and it is only a conversation between you and your doctor about cost benefit in relation to your specific situation. Would you deny antibiotics bc af risk? I mean there are ppl allergic to penicillin as well as very harsh strong antibiotics but...if you've never seen a mass bacteria outbreak you lose sensitivity as to why we need these things. I will give you that we are less tolerant to issues with injectables vs oral delivery but asme premise in general. Trust me I know it's scary. I'm all for vaccination and when they asked me to sign off for his hep b shot right when he was born I was terrified all of a sudden. But that fear was irrational and partly due to the fact that I am not used to making decisions that affect another human being no less a little helpless one that I love more than life itself. I get it but the consequences of him getting the disease are most likely far worse.
  • Options

I trust
    our pediatrician, and will be following the standard, CDC-recommended
    schedule-- using combo vaccines when available.  Because I have no
    scientifically-backed reason to do otherwise, I consider it a social
    responsibility.  

Every
    baby is different, but mine had her 8 wks. vaccinations yesterday-- one in each
    thigh and an oral vaccine.  Apart from the usual heartbreaking, red-faced,
    breath-catching sobs, all went well.  I dosed her with 1.25 of infant
    Tylenol about a half hour beforehand (I know there are mixed opinions on this)
    and about four hours after.  A little more sleepy yesterday afternoon, but
    otherwise uneventful.

ETA:

You said,
    "this
    is a serious decision that really affects your little one and you want the best
    but should have all the info before making that decision blindly on 'because
    the doctor says so'...or so I feel."  

You're
    not placing "blind" trust in the recommendations of the doctor you (presumably)
    carefully picked for your child, you're placing informed trust in his or her
    years of experience and professional training, including careful study of peer
    reviewed studies on the topic of immunology and vaccines.  If you
    were truly concerned, you'd get on the research databases at your local library
    (or access them from home), and check out the peer-reviewed data for yourself
    rather than taking the temperature among internet strangers and trusting
    us to be well-informed.  This is, as you say, a critically important
    decision for your little one, after all.  Your decision for your little
    one--if it's the wrong one--affects our little ones, too.  Please do the
    right thing.  It is patently irresponsible not to vaccinate.

Well for me I don't choose a doctor since Japan has national healthcare. You just go to whatever clinic or hospital is nearby and see whatever doctor is on duty. That's why I said what I did and was inquiring about other moms on here. I have read up on a lot of vaccine stuff but for me it's still somehting I do get interested about. I haven't had the best experiences with doctors here in Japan as they think you shouldn't ask any questions about anything and just take their word. Granted I understand they are professionals but their ways of practicing are very different than what I grew up with in the states not to mention the vaccinese they give to kids. Example: here they only give a measles and rubella shot. The mumps is totally optional for parents to choose or not to get. In total there are about 5 required shots and the rest are totally optional including hep b. It's not that we aren't going to get LO vaccinated, I just was curious as to other people's thoughts and opinions based on where they live and what not.
  • Options
    I trust my doctor.

imageimageimageimage
    November Siggy Challenge: How I feel in the Third Trimester 
            image   image   image
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MommyMoru I understand it's tough not being able to choose your own doc and living in a country that's not your own. If you are originally from the US, perhaps you could try to follow some semblance of the CDC's schedule if they give you the option?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Even as an adult in the us where docs don't always mention a new vaccine out on the market if I find out it's available I get it and will do no differently with my child. I would be getting the pneumonia one and all others if they weren't just for those over 60
  • Options
    MommyMoru said:

I would assume most moms here are coming up on the 2 month mark sometime in February and that means shot time in the US. In Japan the shot schedule is a bit different but none the less needed/required.

As a FTM I'm not that enlightened about vaccinations. Yes I've read articles and seen the hype about them but to know which are best and which aren't needed as a baby and which can wait it's a daunting and overwhelming thing. This is a serious decision that really affects your little one and you want the best but should have all the info before making that decision blindly on 'because the doctor says so'...or so I feel.

So....

Any moms out there have any opinions or thoughts on this matter?

QFP

Test
  • Options
    MommyMoru said:

I trust
    our pediatrician, and will be following the standard, CDC-recommended
    schedule-- using combo vaccines when available.  Because I have no
    scientifically-backed reason to do otherwise, I consider it a social
    responsibility.  

Every
    baby is different, but mine had her 8 wks. vaccinations yesterday-- one in each
    thigh and an oral vaccine.  Apart from the usual heartbreaking, red-faced,
    breath-catching sobs, all went well.  I dosed her with 1.25 of infant
    Tylenol about a half hour beforehand (I know there are mixed opinions on this)
    and about four hours after.  A little more sleepy yesterday afternoon, but
    otherwise uneventful.

ETA:

You said,
    "this
    is a serious decision that really affects your little one and you want the best
    but should have all the info before making that decision blindly on 'because
    the doctor says so'...or so I feel."  

You're
    not placing "blind" trust in the recommendations of the doctor you (presumably)
    carefully picked for your child, you're placing informed trust in his or her
    years of experience and professional training, including careful study of peer
    reviewed studies on the topic of immunology and vaccines.  If you
    were truly concerned, you'd get on the research databases at your local library
    (or access them from home), and check out the peer-reviewed data for yourself
    rather than taking the temperature among internet strangers and trusting
    us to be well-informed.  This is, as you say, a critically important
    decision for your little one, after all.  Your decision for your little
    one--if it's the wrong one--affects our little ones, too.  Please do the
    right thing.  It is patently irresponsible not to vaccinate.

Well for me I don't choose a doctor since Japan has national healthcare. You just go to whatever clinic or hospital is nearby and see whatever doctor is on duty. That's why I said what I did and was inquiring about other moms on here. I have read up on a lot of vaccine stuff but for me it's still somehting I do get interested about. I haven't had the best experiences with doctors here in Japan as they think you shouldn't ask any questions about anything and just take their word. Granted I understand they are professionals but their ways of practicing are very different than what I grew up with in the states not to mention the vaccinese they give to kids. Example: here they only give a measles and rubella shot. The mumps is totally optional for parents to choose or not to get. In total there are about 5 required shots and the rest are totally optional including hep b. It's not that we aren't going to get LO vaccinated, I just was curious as to other people's thoughts and opinions based on where they live and what not.
    QFP

Test
  • Options
    Why is it so many people have their own thoughts/research but still are "just curious"?

Test
  • Options
    LO had her first round of shots on Monday. I trust my doctor and his recommnedations. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#1-BFP 1/5/14...EDD 9/19/14...MC 1/28/14
    #2 BFP 4/15/14...EDD 12/26/14

• Options
    Get vaccinated!!
    EDD 12/3/14 First time Mom!

D14 Free for All

These two are just so funny...

Also, due date has come, gone and I am just so anxious to meet baby!  Please be healthy and strong baby, mama can't wait to meet you :)
  • Options
    I don't get the whole "QFP" thing. What is that all about?
  • Options
    Well said! I think you hit in done pint that most of us overlook. Ok vaccinating my son per the suggested schedule too.
  • Options

MommyMoru said:
    This is a serious decision that really affects your little one and you want the best but should have all the info before making that decision blindly on 'because the doctor says so'...or so I feel. 
    What specifically are you worried is going to happen?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    kelsire said:

I don't get the whole "QFP" thing. What is that all about?

Reading the blog might be helpful.

Test
  • Options
    MeetherMeether member
    edited February 2015
    I can't wait for any and every vaccine for my girls. I trust my pedi and do not see pediatricians who take unvaccinated kids. I also worked in pharmaceuticals and I've come across quite a few disasters that resulted from vaccination delays or refusals. The measles outbreak is a good reminder that vaccines are necessary. Even though that article was a fraud, I'd rather my kid have autism than die from a disease I could have prevented.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have read the blog. I still don't understand why you would do that.
  • Options
    kelsire said:

I have read the blog still don't understand why you would do that.

Are you suggesting how I should (or the group) respond? I recall there being something in the guidelines suggesting to watch/learn to get a feeling for the board. This may very likely be one of those situations.

Test
  • Options

Also, I'm curious as to why you think that not getting vaccinated is okay.

I never said that. My inquiry is one of a FTM who is unfamiliar with vaccinations and since I live somewhere where I don't have a selected doctor and have to rely only on my own research I just wanted some insight from other moms who have done this or will be doing this. We plan on vaccinating. I just think it's an interesting topic to discuss is all, really, considering what is happening in America as well as the two sides of the situation.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a little discussion :)
  • Options
    @chelseavranich‌ Thanks, but what does it matter if she deletes it? Do you quote it so the conversation still makes since if the original post is deleted?
    @CandEChicago‌ I have actually been following the board and reading almost every post for several months. I just recently started posting because the group has gotten a lot more supportive since the "new" guidelines were set. Before I never posted because it seemed every post was taken over by people being rude about the post.
  • Options
    I'm still wondering what OP is worried about happening if LO receives vaccines.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    As far as discussion goes, I don't really see what there is to discuss about vaccination.  I don't think that it's an "interesting topic to discuss."  Yes, you should have your child vaccinated (unless there is some real medical reason - diagnosed by a doctor - for not vaccinating your child, of course).  There are not two "sides" to this.  There is vaccination, which is scientifically sound and thoroughly researched.  The fact that there happen to be uninformed, ill informed, and just plain wrong people who choose not to protect their children from diseases does not make this another "side." 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @pooky08‌
    You act as if you don't believe I have been reading post. Isn't it possible for someone to see something done (QFP) and not understand why it is done so you finally ask. This is kind of a prime example. I asked a simple question. But instead of getting a straight answer I got treated like I am stupid and can't read.
    "Snarky" no, the responses were just rude. I stuck around because I don't have a lot a drama in my life, but this group was full of it. How many times did someone in the group decide an OP's question shouldn't have been asked (for various reasons) and tell the OP that what they thought was a good question wasn't so it wasn't going to be answered?
    Sorry, but I found this board anything but supportive before. Sure, not as many people post now, but the post that are made get answered in a helpful manner.
  • Options
    kelsire said:

@chelseavranich‌ Thanks, but what does it matter if she deletes it? Do you quote it so the conversation still makes since if the original post is deleted?
    @CandEChicago‌ I have actually been following the board and reading almost every post for several months. I just recently started posting because the group has gotten a lot more supportive since the "new" guidelines were set. Before I never posted because it seemed every post was taken over by people being rude about the post.

kelsire said:

@pooky08‌
    You act as if you don't believe I have been reading post. Isn't it possible for someone to see something done (QFP) and not understand why it is done so you finally ask. This is kind of a prime example. I asked a simple question. But instead of getting a straight answer I got treated like I am stupid and can't read.
    "Snarky" no, the responses were just rude. I stuck around because I don't have a lot a drama in my life, but this group was full of it. How many times did someone in the group decide an OP's question shouldn't have been asked (for various reasons) and tell the OP that what they thought was a good question wasn't so it wasn't going to be answered?
    Sorry, but I found this board anything but supportive before. Sure, not as many people post now, but the post that are made get answered in a helpful manner.

For someone who has been around reading a lot over the past months you would know how many of your points work and know the "personalities" of some of the girls (I.e. which girls give straight answers, which provide snark, those that are hilarious, those that are glittery, etc)

Therefore, you are not giving yourself enough credit....your responses are the ones that have the drama in them and are phrased to try to rile us up.

Test
  • Options
    I knew the "personalities", that is why I didn't want to comment. I didn't feel like having conversations with people online that I wouldn't care to talk to IRL.
    Which is why I am ending this conversation now.
  • Options
    kelsire said:

I knew the "personalities", that is why I didn't want to comment. I didn't feel like having conversations with people online that I wouldn't care to talk to IRL.

Lol.
    T: 10/04/06 L: 4/22/09 Baby: EDD: 1/30/14 MMC & D&C: 7/3/13
    Baby 2: EDD: 8/06/14 CP: 11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    CandEChicagoCandEChicago member
    edited February 2015
    kelsire said:

Like I said earlier...you claim have been around enough and now you claim you know the personalities...but you are the one being dramatic...again.

I think you like the drama which is why you read a board for months even though you wouldn't "care to talk to IRL".

Test
  • Options

kelsire said:

You understand, of course, that you cannot dictate the end of this conversation? That's not how the internet works.
    Well she **could** not click on the topic or close out the topic. That would be the equivalent of IRL not re -engaging in the conversation or walking away.

Right now this is the equivalent of walking up to a group of people...saying I really wouldn't want to normally hang out with you and I don't really like this conversation...so lets talk about the Bachelor or I am leaving & telling people you are mean and dramatic.

Test
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"