April 2015 Moms

Measles

I'm actually not trying to cause drama, I am just feeling very scared about the current outbreak of measles.  It was on the news today and I'm starting to feel like if I could have a home birth I would want to, just to make sure my newborn didn't get exposed to it in the hospital.  Is this freaking anyone else out?

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

Re: Measles

• Yeah, I'm not too worried about the hospital end of things, but more baby's first year until he can get his MMR vaccine. It is really scary to think the measles virus can linger in the air of an indoor building for 2 hours after someone infected or coughs. Unfortunately I live in a county where vaccination rates are on the lower end, so we will have to be very careful where we take him.
    < Pregnancy Ticker >
  • I'm seriously considering getting a booster after I give birth for some extra protection since the immunity can wear off over time. I'm asking the OB about it at my appointment today.
    L.M.
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel you @rsaj0807‌
    I'm a childhood cancer survivor and couldn't go to kindergarten because I was still on chemo and the risk of me getting chicken pox was too great (this was before there was a vaccine for it). It just makes me so incredibly angry.
    L.M.
  • I ditto the statement about people not vaccinating their child. Like come on, your saying that not getting the vaccine is choice, which is true but because it "might" be linked to this or that. Come on, pull your head out the your butt and think about these kids that can't have it because they are on chemo or going through a decease.

I personally know somebody (don't want to say their name) that chose to not vaccinate any of her kids with any vaccine. She will fight tooth and nail saying how bad vaccines are. Her children go to school where one child is battling leukemia and another child is battling some sort of rare child cancer.

That right there is what worries me. Those parents that have these sick children are on high alert because somebody chose to not get the mmr, hepititis, chicken pox because they think it's causing adhd, ADD and epilepsy.
  • rsaj0807 said:
    When I saw the news, I rolled my eyes so hard. This is a result of people that won't vaccinate. My son has an immunodeficiency disorder that causes his immune system's "memory" of vaccinations to not work. He has had his MMR, tetanus and varicella vaccinations, but his body has built no antibodies to defend against these diseases. He's had these injections 3 times more than kids with healthy immune systems. So, these selfish ass people are possibly exposing my son to diseases that could kill him. It fucking pisses me off so bad. I could go on about this for days.
    I can only imagine how frustrating that is to deal with.  Hugs to you and your son!
  • I'm not freaked out about the measles. My opinion on vaccines has always been complicated. I'm not anti vaccinations, I just think we do too many too young and I fully understand people not wanting to bombard their newborns with a bunch of vaccines. However, this outbreak has given me more insight on the importance of vaccinating and I really do believe they are beneficial and need to be started at least when your child is a few years old instead of not vaccinating all together. Like I said, I see why people don't want to vaccinate so young, but I do think it needs to be done in the earlier years of life.
  • Please vaccinate! PLEASE!

My family was actually at Disneyland during the time people were getting infected there. Awesome. Luckily my whole family, including the little ones there, have all been vaccinated.

I really feel for those who CAN'T get the vaccine due to age/immune system issues/cancer/etc. They are the ones who need everyone else to vaccinate the most.

To the OP, the hospital is very good containing patients who may have it. They would be kept in isolation rooms, no where near L&D.
  • @klingspwn Measles (Rubeola) and Rubella are not the same thing. Basically you were checked to see if you were Rubella immune or non immune, and your test most likely showed you were Rubella non immune. You will get a MMR vaccine postpartum, usually while still in the hospital.

I don't think it necessarily means that you are non immune to Measles, but I'd be interested to hear what your doctor says tomorrow.
    < Pregnancy Ticker >
  •  I have to walk in and out of the ER entrance to transition to labor and delivery.  So...

Anyway, with the current outbreaks...  It would be nice if anti-vaxers would at least vax for measles and whooping cough since they are going around?  I mean if you are talking risk and all... couldn't that at least add a little more weight to getting those two shots even if they skip the rest until there is some other scare.  To me that would be better than nothing.  I don't know, I'm just scared for my infant.  This is one of the most contageous diseases...

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

IUI#2 BFP!

• klingspwn said:

Quick question that you guys may or may not know, when I got pregnant my doctor told me that my rubella shot I got when I was younger (MMR shot I believe) didn't take. Or something along the lines of that and that I would have to get the shot again after having the baby. Does anyone know if it's possible that just the rubella part of the shot didn't work or if one part didn't work all of it didnt? I've Googled what rubella is and Google says it is the German measles which I'm assuming isn't the same as the regular measles? I'm super confused about it all. Should I be more concerned about the outbreak because of my rubella shot not working or is the measles something different? I'm going to bring this up to my doctor tomorrow too since there has been an outbreak about an hour or so from me.

No you can't get just a rubella vaccine - my titers for rubella were also low when I started my current job (in a hospital) so I had to get an MMR booster at that time.
  • rsaj0807 said:
    When I saw the news, I rolled my eyes so hard. This is a result of people that won't vaccinate. My son has an immunodeficiency disorder that causes his immune system's "memory" of vaccinations to not work. He has had his MMR, tetanus and varicella vaccinations, but his body has built no antibodies to defend against these diseases. He's had these injections 3 times more than kids with healthy immune systems. So, these selfish ass people are possibly exposing my son to diseases that could kill him. It fucking pisses me off so bad. I could go on about this for days.
    I just read something written by a mother in a similar situation.  I'm sorry your little guy had to go through all of those extra shots.  I just don't understand why anyone would not vaccinate.  I can't imagine how frustrating it is for you.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My company health benefits consultant was telling me yesterday to talk to my doctor about getting the whooping cough vaccine in the 3rd trimester. She said something along the lines of it passing on some immunal benefits to baby boy for his first few months. I just thought I would bring it up so you guys know to ask the question at your next appointments as well.
  • This was actually being discussed by one of my friends on Facebook. Because I live overseas you have to up to date on vaccines and the baby will be vaccinated in time until we move, when he's around 6 months. But heading back to the states makes me incredibly nervous. I understand the reasons why children who can't get them for medical reasons but I really want parents to tell me why their healthy child isn't getting vaccinated. We should be protecting the kids who can't be vaccinated by vaccinating ours. I haven't heard a legit reason for why they don't and it annoys me.

Also when I was young it was required to be vaccinated to attend public schools unless it a doctor had a note or something to why you couldn't be vaccinated. I've had 3 boosters for measles as a kid because they/mayb parents lost the paperwork and the school wouldn't let me attend without proof. This was the late 90s early 2000s and even when apply for college I had to submit my vaccine records and that was in 2007. I don't understand why it isn't manditory in public schools anymore.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • NagaWaterNagaWater member
    edited January 2015
    rsaj0807 said:

And yourson is the reason I am so adamantly anti-stupid and pro-vaccination.
    I wonder if I could get a DTAP vaccine through my OB?
  • kamomo1 said:

This was actually being discussed by one of my friends on Facebook. Because I live overseas you have to up to date on vaccines and the baby will be vaccinated in time until we move, when he's around 6 months. But heading back to the states makes me incredibly nervous. I understand the reasons why children who can't get them for medical reasons but I really want parents to tell me why their healthy child isn't getting vaccinated. We should be protecting the kids who can't be vaccinated by vaccinating ours. I haven't heard a legit reason for why they don't and it annoys me.

Also when I was young it was required to be vaccinated to attend public schools unless it a doctor had a note or something to why you couldn't be vaccinated. I've had 3 boosters for measles as a kid because they/mayb parents lost the paperwork and the school wouldn't let me attend without proof. This was the late 90s early 2000s and even when apply for college I had to submit my vaccine records and that was in 2007. I don't understand why it isn't manditory in public schools anymore.

It technically is here but so many people claim they don't vaccinate for religious reasons now.
  • After reading the story about how nearly 200 children were just exposed at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, I'm pretty concerned. This whole situation makes me so angry. You have to wonder WTF people are thinking.
  • I got my Tdap vaccine yesterday and told my family (and DH's family) to get it too. My doctor told me that whooping cough is a serious issue in the U.S. right now. Not taking any chances.
  • NagaWater said:

kamomo1 said:

This was actually being discussed by one of my friends on Facebook. Because I live overseas you have to up to date on vaccines and the baby will be vaccinated in time until we move, when he's around 6 months. But heading back to the states makes me incredibly nervous. I understand the reasons why children who can't get them for medical reasons but I really want parents to tell me why their healthy child isn't getting vaccinated. We should be protecting the kids who can't be vaccinated by vaccinating ours. I haven't heard a legit reason for why they don't and it annoys me.

It technically is here but so many people claim they don't vaccinate for religious reasons now.
    I'd like to know what religious reasons make it okay to put 100s of people at risk. My school threatened to suspend me freshmen year because I was behind on one shot. I really wish it was that way for everyone these days!

Exactly. I don't remember reading anything in the bible about not vaccinating your children. Also when I was younger I had an MMR shot because the school lost my shots records and wasn't allowed to attend unless I had it. DH had to submit his vaccine records to attend college. Children who aren't vaccinated unless for medical reasons should be kept out of public schools.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not worried about the hospital, because the hospital I'll deliver at is specifically geared for pregnant woman with pregnancy related problems and their newborns. So if a person was being treated for measles like symptoms, they would be in another hospital.  

I'm more worried by the family that I have that have chosen to not vaccinate or to delay the vaccinations but  have not yet begun. Worried both for my newborn as well as their kids. 

• klingspwn said:

NagaWater said:

rsaj0807 said:

And yourson is the reason I am so adamantly anti-stupid and pro-vaccination.
    I wonder if I could get a DTAP vaccine through my OB?

DTAP is for children and TDAP is for adults and generally called a booster shot. I just got my TDAP at my OB appointment on Monday.

--I really hate how often quoting doesn't work on TB--
    Thank you for clarifying because I just thought some people were getting the T and the D mixed up.

Ah, I can never remember which is which. Thank you!
  • rsaj0807 said:

kamomo1 said:

NagaWater said:

kamomo1 said:

I'd like to know what religious reasons make it okay to put 100s of people at risk. My school threatened to suspend me freshmen year because I was behind on one shot. I really wish it was that way for everyone these days!

Exactly. I don't remember reading anything in the bible about not vaccinating your children. Also when I was younger I had an MMR shot because the school lost my shots records and wasn't allowed to attend unless I had it. DH had to submit his vaccine records to attend college. Children who aren't vaccinated unless for medical reasons should be kept out of public schools.
    in Texas, you can file a Religious or Conscientious Objection Form to avoid getting vaccinated. All that you have to do is sign the paper on front of a notary, and it is done. Bullshit, if you ask me.

That's how it is in Louisiana. I think it's Jehovah's Witness or some other religion that is against them. Not that it matters. No vaccines should mean no school.
  • I am so upset about this too. I'm a scientist and I work in the field of clinical trials and medical research validating products like vaccines. The probability of complications from vaccine-preventable disease is so much higher than what is associated with the vaccine. They warp the risks of vaccines in their minds so that they are somehow higher than disease-related risks - in blatant contradiction of the data. It's a first world issue because most of us haven't lived through the epidemics that necessitated vaccines in the first place.

There is no amount of logic that can get through to these people. I wish we could just send them off to a desert island where they could only infect one another. I have about 100 things I want to say about this, but it's too much to type on my phone, so I'll just leave this abstract here. It seriously depressed me. What's it going to take to get the anti-vaxers to see reason? I read another article associated with this abstract that said they may only respond to legal ramifications. In that case, bring it on.

https://m.pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2014/02/25/peds.2013-2365
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • A friend of mine just shared a post on facebook about natural remedies if your baby gets the measles...  I don't even know what to say about that...

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

IUI#2 BFP!

• topaz7777 said:

A friend of mine just shared a post on facebook about natural remedies if your baby gets the measles...  I don't even know what to say about that...

"Unfriend"
  • I don't want to cause anymore stress but I was one of the lucky one who got the measles in the 1989 outbreak, I had all the required immunization. When I received the MMR vaccine the batch was not good. I was isolated in ICU for 18 days, I almost didn't make it. Long story short, I was exposed to the virus in an elevator in a Children's Hospital.
  • I am so upset about this too. I'm a scientist and I work in the field of clinical trials and medical research validating products like vaccines. The probability of complications from vaccine-preventable disease is so much higher than what is associated with the vaccine. They warp the risks of vaccines in their minds so that they are somehow higher than disease-related risks - in blatant contradiction of the data. It's a first world issue because most of us haven't lived through the epidemics that necessitated vaccines in the first place.

There is no amount of logic that can get through to these people. I wish we could just send them off to a desert island where they could only infect one another. I have about 100 things I want to say about this, but it's too much to type on my phone, so I'll just leave this abstract here. It seriously depressed me. What's it going to take to get the anti-vaxers to see reason? I read another article associated with this abstract that said they may only respond to legal ramifications. In that case, bring it on.

https://m.pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2014/02/25/peds.2013-2365

Forget real facts and science, what pro-vaxxers need to get the message across is more celebrities!

Rational, intelligent messaging doesn't get through to people. If you really want to convince people, what you need is a celebrity spokesperson, (preferably white, blonde and female), to make heartfelt emotional talkshow appearances, coupled with the endorsement by some TV quack Doctor (I.e. Dr. Oz, The Doctors, etc.), with dubious medical credentials. Follow that up with some reinforcement stories for a good 6-8 month period in the national news media.
  • My mom posted this on FB a few days ago: "About 25 years ago, my son got measles. For a few years there, babies were vaccinated against measles at 9 months. Then, because of cases like my son's, it was realized they needed to be vaccinated earlier in order to gain full protection. But he would never have gotten measles, or the follow-on even more horrible case of spinal meningitis that sent him to the hospital, if somewhere out there our paths hadn't crossed with an unvaccinated infected person. I'd like to get my hands around that person's neck. Even today." that was one theory, anyway. Another theory is that my brother got an ineffective batch of the vaccine. At any rate, the point still stands. Also, please read this: https://time.com/3692439/roald-dahl-measles-letter/
  • NagaWaterNagaWater member
    edited February 2015
    Blergbot said:

My mom posted this on FB a few days ago: "About 25 years ago, my son got measles. For a few years there, babies were vaccinated against measles at 9 months. Then, because of cases like my son's, it was realized they needed to be vaccinated earlier in order to gain full protection. But he would never have gotten measles, or the follow-on even more horrible case of spinal meningitis that sent him to the hospital, if somewhere out there our paths hadn't crossed with an unvaccinated infected person. I'd like to get my hands around that person's neck. Even today." that was one theory, anyway. Another theory is that my brother got an ineffective batch of the vaccine. At any rate, the point still stands. Also, please read this: https://time.com/3692439/roald-dahl-measles-letter/

Now they give it between 12 and 18 months. So him getting it at 9 months makes me curious.

So I'm wondering if they used to give it earlier than 9months and found that it wasn't as effective in younger children and that's why they give it when they do?
    Now I need to google.
    I'll be back when I've found the answer.

So yes, they found that when the vaccine is given before 12ms it isn't as effective or not effective at all.
    Also it's 15m, not 18. My bad
  • I actually heard the argument today that there are only 102 confirmed cases in the US compared to the 644 there were last year.  Seriously?  It's the begining of february....

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

IUI#2 BFP!

• I'm glad I came across this post, I wasn't aware that we could/should get the TDAP in the 3rd tri. I will bring it up at my OB appt in a couple weeks. For those of you who can't vaccinate, I'm sorry, it makes me so sad to know that all of these anti vaxers are putting your babies at risk. There was a serious debate on a post I made just the other day because I know a few non vaxers and it absolutely makes my blood boil!! I do agree that maybe the vaccines should be spaced out a little more, but my children do and will continue to be vaccinated!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NagaWater said:
    My mom posted this on FB a few days ago: "About 25 years ago, my son got measles. For a few years there, babies were vaccinated against measles at 9 months. Then, because of cases like my son's, it was realized they needed to be vaccinated earlier in order to gain full protection. But he would never have gotten measles, or the follow-on even more horrible case of spinal meningitis that sent him to the hospital, if somewhere out there our paths hadn't crossed with an unvaccinated infected person. I'd like to get my hands around that person's neck. Even today." that was one theory, anyway. Another theory is that my brother got an ineffective batch of the vaccine. At any rate, the point still stands. Also, please read this: https://time.com/3692439/roald-dahl-measles-letter/
    Now they give it between 12 and 18 months. So him getting it at 9 months makes me curious. So I'm wondering if they used to give it earlier than 9months and found that it wasn't as effective in younger children and that's why they give it when they do? Now I need to google. I'll be back when I've found the answer. So yes, they found that when the vaccine is given before 12ms it isn't as effective or not effective at all. Also it's 15m, not 18. My bad

Thanks for researching! Sounds like my mom just had it backwards. It has been 25 years! I'm just glad my brother is still around, but this antivaxxer bullshit just makes me ragey.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"