Georgia Babies

Baby Gender Blood Test

I recently had what my doctor calls the Harmony Test done. It's a blood test done at 10 weeks to check for any abnormalities and can also tell the gender. Although it CAN tell the gender, my doctor's office WON'T tell the gender. Has anyone gotten a blood test to determine gender, and if so, where did you go? I am very anxious to find out what I am having and the sooner I can find out the better!
Pregnancy Ticker
imageimage

Re: Baby Gender Blood Test

• JulesDianeJulesDiane member
    edited December 2013
    At 16 weeks, you can go to Stork Vision (or similar place) and get an ultrasound to find out.

• Why wouldn't the doctor release the results to if you consented to them?  I find that incredibly odd.

We had a similar test (Verifi) w/ Atlanta Perinatal Consultants and they asked if we wanted the results or to keep it secret. 

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • My SIL and a good friend both had that test and found out the results at 12-14 weeks. I don't understand why they wouldn't tell you since it's supposed to be an accurate test using DNA. I think you would have to wait for aN early ultrasound guess at 16 weeks otherwise. I would talk to your doctor again and ask their reasoning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had the Verifi test done with Dr. Bootstaylor and they gave the gender results. 

Maybe they worry people will terminate based on gender?   

How odd. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Why wouldn't the doctor release the results to if you consented to them?  I find that incredibly odd.

We had a similar test (Verifi) w/ Atlanta Perinatal Consultants and they asked if we wanted the results or to keep it secret. 

This- we had Harmony done at this office and they let us know gender with the results. Maybe because people are doing test only to find out gender, but if office is recommending it shouldn't be an issue. I'd ask what their reasoning is for sure.
    BFP #1 on 2.13.11, MM/C 04.11.11 @ 12W, 1D
    BFP #2 due on 2.17.12 - Happy Birthday Brooks 2.11.12
    BFP #3 on 11.14.12, M/C 12.3.12 @ 7W, 1D
    BFP #4 due 12.11.13- Happy Birthday Taylor @ 34w, 2d
    - 30w+1- pPROM and hospital bed rest till DD comes

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    My Preemie ticker

image image
  • I had this test done and my ob office does not run the gender as a part of the testing. The office has to choose to run gender in addition to the trisomies. They told me that the amount of blood they take is not enough to run multiple test beyond that of the genetic screening. 
    I wouldn't switch practices based on the fact they wouldn't tell you gender though. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Weird. I had the Harmony test as well and was asked if I wanted to know gender. It took every fiber in my being not to find out at that moment on the phone but dh wanted to wait until our u/s.
    photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • shacadu said:
    Maybe they worry people will terminate based on gender?   

I have read a few places this was the reason some offices do not giving out the gender so early.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I took the Harmony test and got the gender test done at Kaiser. It told me I was having a boy and the ultrasound confirmed it!
  • Pity I saw this so late. If the doc does not want to tell you the gender , could it be because the test is not very reliable for baby gender or maybe he is worried you might not keep the baby if they tell you?

I think some blood tests for baby gender are fairly good . I did a lot of research online although there isnt that much information and companies selling this test. I also came across this test which looks pretty solid https://www.easydna.co.uk/gender-prediction-test/ . It is with urine, which seems really strange at first but once you read how they actually do it, it seems good.

• I just got the blood tests results for the genetic testing and they were able to tell me that I'm having a girl! I'm 16 weeks and ecstatic... Why won't your doctors office tell you the gender?
  • I'm pretty sure you have the rights to any and all of your test results and medical records. This is the lawyer in my talking but I would definitely be calling that doctor to remind them of that. They do not have the right to withhold any information from you
  • I had the test done and they told me the gender, but I wanted to know.