Pregnant after 35

Intro... I turned 35 today

edited January 2015 in Pregnant after 35
Hi Ladies,

Today is my 35th Birthday. I am 28 weeks, FTM, newlywed and team blue. I am joining here today. I am also active with my birth month (A15) and another board away from the bump. My pregnancy has been treated as high risk from the beginning because I will deliver at age 35 so I have had some additional appointments and testing. Not sure if anything magical happens now that I am officially 35 but looking forward to hanging out here for the rest of pregnancy.

Re: Intro... I turned 35 today

• mattandloramattandlora member
    edited January 2015

Welcome! I'm 35 but my egg is 34. I haven't had any special treatment for being 35, but the hyperemesis gravidarum and now the high blood pressure seem to be getting some attention.

Want to know the original reason 35 is the magic number? When amniocentesis first became mainstream, it was still a pretty high risk procedure. 35 was the age where the risk of complications from the amnio were the same as the risk of having a baby with Down's syndrome. Younger than 35, the risk of amnio was greater and considered not worth the risk of finding out.

Medicine has advanced since then. Amniocentesis is much less risky and there are less invasive testing means available. But 35 stuck......Fun.

In truth, some risks go up with age. But it's a gradual risk and not a cliff you fall off of at 35.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Congrats, and welcome!!!  As a 42 year old FTM (I'll be 43 when I deliver), 35 sounds super young, lol!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Happy Birthday :)  Congratulations and welcome to the board.
  • Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
  • Welcome and congrats!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • 35 seems young to me too!  I am 42 and have had a slew of babies since 35.  Great pregnancies with no issues and wonderfully healthy babies.  This is my 8th child I am 19 weeks along with now.  I actually have had 4 children past 35...and one squeezed in at 34 before I turned 35.

Everyone's bodys and life experiences are different.  To say once a person hits 35 they are suddenly high risk is sort of ridiculous.  For some people it may be true.  But other people are just healthier and some people just age slower!  I find it all annoying!!
  • Hello! And, Happy Birthday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Happy Birthday and welcome. Best wishes for your pregnancy.

I agree with pp that to immediately be considered high risk at 35 seems silly.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Happy belated birthday,
    I'm 41 and will be 42 at EDD. I think 35 is a great age!
    Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• Hi my 36 will be 37 at time of delivery.  My doctors office isn't treating me any differently than my first pregnancy at 33. At 36 weeks they may monitor more closing (not sure) but I think as PP's have said, the line demarcating AMA doesn't mean that much in many cases.  
  • Glad to hear that 35 doesn't sound "old" for a FTM and shouldn't make my pregnancy "high risk." Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"