July 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone else take on a BIG home project while PG?

So last month :( we realized the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom was leaking. Within three days the ceiling had fallen in, so we had a friend come over to fix the copper pipe that had desingrated :-O

We had to rip the walls out because the water had run behind the walls and the tile was falling off the wall. Hubby said hire someone..... I refused, because all I could think about is how many diapers $1800 was going to buy, and tile is not a new thing to me ;)

So I started tiling last week, small pieces at a time and today we are trying to finish it. We are ONE yes ONE flipping tile short!!!! :(( hubby runs to the store..... they have discontinued the tiles and they dont have anymore.

I about lost it.

Maybe we should have hired someone...

Anyone else doing a home renovation? ? Or am I the only crazy girl to take this on right now?

Re: Anyone else take on a BIG home project while PG?

• Options
    I would have cried. We haven't taken any huge projects yet. But we took on a massive project 3 months before the wedding. We put hardwood floors through 90% of the house and also decided to gut the guest bathroom. All projects we knew NOTHING about and we knew that the day after our wedding we were having a massive party at our place. We ended up finishing the project and loving the results but man I have never cried more or stressed more in my life. 

That being said, we are eye balling big projects coming up soon. We just can't stay away from DIY.
  • Options
    Oh and the whole reason I started to respond...search for the tile online. You will def find it there. I have had to do that a few times. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not yet, but we are considering moving into a house that needs to be remodeled. (I think we have been watching too much HGTV!). If we don't find something soon, we will call off the search. I don't want to be in transition with a house under construction when baby arrives!
  • Options
    Im the same way... love a good home project!! They just always end up being more work than you think they will be LOL ..

We have been using one shower for over a month now with 6 people and I am about to go crazy! So tired of all the kids in my bathroom
  • Options
    Yup! We are refinishing all the cabinets in our house and doing new carpet. It's totally overwhelming and my dad is doing a ton of the work! Plus we will have the nursery project too. So much to do. So little time.
  • Options
    We are in the process of converting our garage into a bedroom, mudroom, and a utility room. I don't know if we will try to get it done before the baby, but I think we're going to try to get the floor and walls put in soon.

Every time I am pregnant we are working on some sort of major house project.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with DD we torn down a wall, put up another wall and got all new flooring throughout our whole house. The worse part of it was fighting with my mother about the whole thing (long story). But once it got under way it was a pretty painless thing. So happy to get it done before DD arrived, I feel like it would have been 1000 times harder with her around.
    Please excuse typos....auto correct hates me. =)

Married 8.17.12
    Anniversary 
    DD Born 9.23.13
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerDS Born 7.15.15

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yep! We are scraping the popcorn off of all the bedroom ceilings. This includes scraping, skim-coating, patching, priming, and painting the ceilings, and then we're adding crown-moulding. We have one more room (our bedroom) to go! 

We're also getting carpet installed, which will be done professionally, but we're demoing the old parquet floors ourselves...and the asshats who put the floors down glued them with god-knows-what to the subflooring, so we have to use a saw to get it up and then patch the chipped up subfloors as we go. 

...and I think I might re-grout our tub soon. But then that's it! I think. 

image BabyFruit Ticker

Married 10-15-2011
    BFP 10-30-2014
    Baby's due 7-08-2015

• Options
    We are in the process of converting our garage into a bedroom, bathroom, laundry room, and playroom. I'm also repainting the whole house. Wish we would have done this sooner!
  • Options
    No you are not alone I plan on finishing painting the whole house starting the end of February. I also have to pull the tile up in the kitchen. Replace the kitchen sink and some electrical work which I will hire someone to do and that's about it. Well until it's warm outside then I have to try out my green thumb.
  • Options
    We are building a house, and by building a house I mean currently fighting the township about petmits. Two summer's ago we bought an 8 acre wooded lot. My husband is a bit of a procrastinator (because he is always working for someone else, not on our own stuff) and yet he plans to do most of the work himself with friends of his. I have no idea if it will be done before the baby is here or not but I really want it to be. However, I have this fear of trying to move while 9 months pregnant!
  • Options
    I am taking on the task of moving in with my bf when my lease ends in march. He rents a house from his dad. Currently they are trying to fix a leak in the entry/laundry room but it's been sitting without a cealing for almost 2 wks now and it still leaks when it rains.

On top of that we are trying to paint the bedrooms. We painted ours Wednesday and the light purple we compramised on looks pink. We spent Thursday in denial trying to come to terms with the color and today we just went out and got a darker color. Now everytime I look at or even think about that horrid pale pink color, I start laughing uncontrollably.

What really gets me is I tried asking my son, hoping he would say yea it looks purple, he told me "how pretty. it's pink." =))
  • Options
    My DH and my brother and dad are working on a basement renovation. They are building a room for the hubby and friends and maybe even a playroom for our LO later on. In the spring, DH also plans on building a deck off the back of our house. Not to mention baby room renovations as well. Hubby is loving working on weekend projects as well as my dad so he is loving it. As for me, I am not partaking in any of the work besides bringing them drinks and food :)
  • Options
    YES! Last time I was pregnantwe took on our entire home remodel to have it done in time for the baby. I'm talking GUTTING the whole house kitchens bathrooms everything. My DH and FIL did it together because my FIL is a contractor. Now we are moving into a new home that we love but also needs a ton of work. So while I won't be doing any of the work I know the stress of it firsthand and will now "get to" do it this time with a toddler. Feel your pain!
  • Options
    Yup... just moved in to a new house! Painted everything, ripped up carpets and tiles... put new tiles in basement, new carpet in bedrooms... next project remodel kitchen, then  it's hard wood floors in living room, dining room and kitchen! Then remodel bathrooms. Boy do we have a lot to do! 
    <leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We are removing all the carpeting from our second floor, 3 bedrooms and office and are in the process of getting quotes, would like it completed by the end of Feb or early March so that we can start working on the nursery!
  • Options
    The baby was a surprise so we are currently in the middle of remodeling our house. Oops! My husband has been a trooper though! Powering through most of the stuff as I supervise. Hopefully we will be finished before the baby arrives! :)
  • Options
    We are mid-bathroom renovation right now too. After a total gut it at least looks like a bathroom again but not done. Plenty more projects to do when this is done.
  • Options
    Im sure we will start another projexmct as soon as we finish this one.... right now I am WAY OVER this project!!!

So glad to know I am not the only one ;) hubby thought ai was just crazy for taking this one on right now
  • Options
    Not really a huge huge project but my hubby tried refinishing the shower/tub of our master bath... It used to be eggshell or something (yellowish tan.. Idk how to describe it, it was just hideous). Eww, I can't stand not having a nice white tub. I kept feeling like it was dirty (even though I cleaned it weekly and it was supposed to be that color). We bought the house a couple months ago. Thought the process and fumes would be manageable only to be gassed out of the house after he started the cleaning process before even painting... Turns out we didn't even buy enough of the paint plus my poor hubs sucks at taping around drains and stuff so it doesn't even look great because you can still see the original color around those areas. At least it looks great from the bathroom door though haha
  • Options
    I feel you! We are also redoing our bathroom (discovered mold) and redoing some carpeting. It's two things that have to be done before baby arrives! But so stressful when you're doing it yourselves!
  • Options
    We need to redo an entire kitchen (knock it down to the studs and start again) and the floors in the nursery, 2 other bedrooms, and living room need to be redone (original wood floors). My husband is a little freaked out but we can't do either of these projects with a little one crawling around!
  • Options
    Last pregnancy we recarpeted the entire upstairs, completely remodeled our master bathroom, repainted two bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and painted and decorated the nursery. Super overwhelming.

This time I'd really like to put down new countertops in the kitchen and get new appliances. We'll see at tax time.
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"