3rd Trimester

Stimulating labor manually?

Hello, hello. I am currently 40 weeks and 1 day pregnant. So far, I am 2 cm dilated and 70-80% effaced. I have had a membrane sweep twice already, and the first time, contractions started, lasted about 2 days, then stopped. The second sweep, which was yesterday, only caused cramping and spotting. Both times, though, the OBGYN said she could feel the baby's head. He's dropped and head down, ready to go.

My boyfriend and I decided to try and get things going by being intimate, but so far, it's only caused a little more cramping.

I have had no complications this pregnancy(back around 18 weeks, they thought there was an issue, but it turned out to be incompetence with the ultrasound tech), and according to the ultrasounds I've had, baby is only measuring 2-3 days behind schedule(he's on the small side).

I was just wondering if there was a good way to perhaps get things moving a little quicker? My OBGYN used to be supportive of a vaginal birth, but is now insisting I have a C-section. I do NOT want to go through that pain and suffering again. I had one with my first(unnecessary) and had complications afterwards. So anything to avoid having a repeat section would be lovely.

Should I ask to be induced with pitocin? Or perhaps have my water broken by a doc? I'm kind of at my wit's end, and I'm a bit stressed about the whole being forced into a C-section thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Stimulating labor manually?

• Your doctor is not VBAC friendly if they are already pushing a c/s on you.  You are only 40+1, you have time.  If none of the stuff you've had done is working, that just means baby isn't ready to come out yet.  You can refuse a c/s and even not show up for it.  Schedule a non-stress test and have baby checked every day if you need to, but you are not late until after 42 weeks.  I stay just wait it out longer...good luck!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• When I was pregnant with my DD she was late also. I tried almost everything the doctor told me I could. The one thing that finally worked for me was nipple stimulation (with ice). Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Good for you for sticking to your guns! 

I agree with everyone else. Your doctor is not VBAC friendly if at 40+1 (with a baby measuring a few days behind - could your dates be off?) she is pushing a cesarean. That is ridiculous if there are no other risk factors. I don't even understand why they would be doing sweeps by this time. Go in for checks daily if you need to, but trust that your body will let you know when it and your baby are ready. No one stays pregnant forever. If in the end you do end up with another cesarean, you will know you tried your best and that is all any of us can hope for. Enjoy your sweet new babe when he gets here and update how it turned out! 

Also, your cervical dilation and effacement means diddly squat. I just posted on another thread how practically no women in my family have any cervical change until labor begins, then have smooth labors near the due date. I've known women walking around for weeks at 4+ cm. I would definitely not let them break your waters (putting you on a 12 hour clock usually) and there is no need for pitocin this early and without first considering your Bishop's score to see if it is likely to work. Just talk to your doctor and make a plan you are really comfortable with, or perhaps consider meeting a new doctor if you don't feel supported in your completely reasonable requests. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hmmmm...have you been offered an induction? I would do an induction if you can with pitocin. I know lots of moms how go past 40 weeks and have wonderful healthy babies..actually the majority of them do...but the placenta only provides nutrients for a set amount of time and it starts to calcify and your baby could stop getting what it needs. It is good you are getting NST's!! Don't mean to scare you...but if you are not against induction I would ask about that option and push for it.

Also..the only way to induce labor naturally is nipple stimulation
  • Hmmmm...have you been offered an induction? I would do an induction if you can with pitocin. I know lots of moms how go past 40 weeks and have wonderful healthy babies..actually the majority of them do...but the placenta only provides nutrients for a set amount of time and it starts to calcify and your baby could stop getting what it needs. It is good you are getting NST's!! Don't mean to scare you...but if you are not against induction I would ask about that option and push for it. Also..the only way to induce labor naturally is nipple stimulation
    Please do some research before you just start throwing information out there.  This is from the ACOG website which would be considered by some to be the forefront authority on the matter:

What are the risks associated with postterm pregnancy?

After 42 weeks, the placenta may not work as well as it did earlier in pregnancy. Also, as the baby grows, the amount of amniotic fluid may begin to decrease. Less fluid may cause the umbilical cord to become pinched as the baby moves or as the uterus contracts.

If pregnancy goes past 42 weeks, a baby has an increased risk of certain problems, such as dysmaturity syndrome, macrosomia, or meconium aspiration. There also is an increased chance of cesarean delivery.

https://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/What-to-Expect-After-Your-Due-Date

::End Quote::

Notice they are talking about postterm pregnancies meaning 42w, not 40w.  They go on to say that most providers will induce when the woman is one to two weeks past their EDD.  Now no one is sure when that magic number is, when it becomes safer to induce than to have the pregnancy continue.  However, in an uncomplicated pregnancy the vast majority of research seems to indicate that it is safe to wait until 41w and some would say beyond that.  My providers will induce on the evening of 41w6d provided everything else is looking good. 

Induction is not free from risk either, so be careful when you suggest that people 'push for induction'. 

@happilyever

• I was talking from personal experience in knowing moms who have gone past 40 weeks with very healthy babies and then they have a stillbirth and were told the only explanation could be the placenta was not providing the nutrients it needed anymore. I know I was induced at 39 weeks and part of my placenta had calcified..also currently my MFM will not take me past 40 weeks due to these very concerns. None of us are doctors and we all speak from personal experiences. Everyone's advice on this board should be taken lightly bc really it is the advice of your doctors that everyone should listen to. I was just sharing my personal experience and what I have been told.
  • I was talking from personal experience in knowing moms who have gone past 40 weeks with very healthy babies and then they have a stillbirth and were told the only explanation could be the placenta was not providing the nutrients it needed anymore. I know I was induced at 39 weeks and part of my placenta had calcified..also currently my MFM will not take me past 40 weeks due to these very concerns. None of us are doctors and we all speak from personal experiences. Everyone's advice on this board should be taken lightly bc really it is the advice of your doctors that everyone should listen to. I was just sharing my personal experience and what I have been told.
     How many moms? In my entire 36 years Ive only known one person PERSONALLY who had a stillborn.   
  • Well, I've tried fresh pineapple to soften things up. I've been walking, doing squats, bouncing, nipple stimulation, and a reflexology massage. Yesterday was a really cramp-y day. Lots of discharge, some of it brown, and a ton of pressure down low. Today the baby is a little less active, but still moving around. I've heard that once babies start to calm down in the womb, it means they're preparing for the big day. Today there was a lot of hip/leg pain and some mild pressure. I have to go see my OBGYN tomorrow. I'm nervous. I'm planning to stick to my guns about avoiding the C-section, but at the same time, I'm worried she's going to try and force it on me. I mean, February 4th was the second due date I was given(that would be 40 weeks instead of January 29th being 40 weeks), so either way, I'll either be at 40 weeks or 41 weeks by the 5th. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the baby decides to come soon so I can avoid having a C-section unless it becomes medically necessary.
  • jazz2122 said:

Well, I've tried fresh pineapple to soften things up. I've been walking,
    doing squats, bouncing, nipple stimulation, and a reflexology massage.
    Yesterday was a really cramp-y day. Lots of discharge, some of it brown,
    and a ton of pressure down low. Today the baby is a little less active,
    but still moving around. I've heard that once babies start to calm down
    in the womb, it means they're preparing for the big day. Today there
    was a lot of hip/leg pain and some mild pressure. I have to go see my
    OBGYN tomorrow. I'm nervous. I'm planning to stick to my guns about
    avoiding the C-section, but at the same time, I'm worried she's going to
    try and force it on me. I mean, February 4th was the second due date I
    was given(that would be 40 weeks instead of January 29th being 40
    weeks), so either way, I'll either be at 40 weeks or 41 weeks by the
    5th. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the baby decides to come
    soon so I can avoid having a C-section unless it becomes medically
    necessary.

You want the heavily-concentrated bromelien component in the CORE. The pineapple fruit is relatively useless. You'd have to ingest a considerable amount too.

Really, just chillaxe & wait. Your doctor cannot force a section on you. You can refuse.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I did eat the core. It was soft enough to chew. I ate the entire pineapple myself, and there was a lot of it. I'm just going to keep everything crossed and hope for the best. And I do plan to refuse the section, but I just worry that the doctor will try to go against my wishes or something. Probably just stressing for no reason, but that's what I tend to do.
  • I do have another question real quick. Would it be considered safe to ask, if my cervix hasn't gone past 2-3 cm dilated when I get checked again, for that foley bulb? Has anyone had a successful VBAC with that method rather than being induced another way? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
  • jazz2122 said:

I do have another question real quick. Would it be considered safe to
    ask, if my cervix hasn't gone past 2-3 cm dilated when I get checked
    again, for that foley bulb? Has anyone had a successful VBAC with that
    method rather than being induced another way? Any advice would be
    helpful. Thank you.

Safe? Probably, but really, it seems like you are trying to force the process. I mean this in the nicest way, you need to let your body do it's thing.

Walking, hip rotations on a yoga ball & squats are great things to encourage your baby's head to engage your pelvis. What you need are active contractions to propel baby, repeatedly against your cervix to progress.

This usually occurs all by itself & can happen quickly. My dear friend just gave birth on Friday. She went from 0- complete in 2 hours.

The best thing you can do is really stop trying so hard. It will happen when baby is ready & your body is ready.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• What about acupuncture with a chiro familiar with the Webster Technique.  I tried it with my first and I think it made a difference!  Check with your insurance, I was surprised to learn my covered 90%!
  • It's kind of blowing my mind that this is even an issue at this point. One day past your due date? Give it a few more days at least.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"