September 2012 Moms

Superbowl

Are you going to watch? Where?
Do you care who wins?
And most importantly, what are you going to eat/make?

James Sawyer 12.3.10
Leo Richard 9.20.12 

Re: Superbowl

• We are going to my parents house again this year.

I don't care who wins. James has a green and blue football shirt, so we will cheer for Seattle. 

I haven't decided what to make yet. I just need one simple dish, so that is why I started the thread :) Last year I did chopped beef sliders with coleslaw on sweet potato fries. They were good and easy. The year before that I made a seafood fondue. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • We are watching at home.  We will cheer for the Seahawks because I dislike Tom Brady slightly more than I dislike Pete Carroll  :P

I think we will make chili and probably have some sort of other appetizer with it.  I'm undecided on what yet.
  • We don't have any plans as of yet.  I debated inviting friends over, but probably won't. 

I guess the Seahawks?  Especially after all the drama with the deflated balls. 

I might make a fun appetizer for us though, I'll have to look at Pinterest.  Maybe a hot dip of some kind. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If we watch it will be at church.  

I'm going to say Seahawks because Tom Brady is a cry baby.

I think we are supposed to take a snack, but I have no ideas.  I think last year I did cookie dough balls.  They were good but messy.  I should do something easier this year but who knows.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• kdsmith43 said:
    I think we are going to host a few friends. I am definitely going to make these: 
    Easy potato skins recipe via iheartnaptime.net. These potato rounds are topped with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon bits and taste great topp...

Something else that's REALLY good are loaded potato bites. You cut b sized red potatoes in half, then scoop out a good portion of the inside to make a circle. Throw them in a bag with some oil, salt, pepper and I use onion/garlic powder and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes at 425* with the hollowed part facing down. Then once they are done fill them with sour cream, bacon, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and some parsely for good measure. THEY ARE AWESOME!

No ideas for Super Bowl. I'm still bitter about the Seahawks win over the Packers. I usually root for whoever beat my team but I just can't. Then their's deflate gate with the Patriots so I'm not quit sure. They can't both lose?

DH works until 6 so we'll probably eat at home because everywhere for take out is going to be nuts. Obviously I haven't thought about any of this.

• We are hosting a small group of friends at our house again for two reasons - one i am lazy and dont want to go anywhere and two, i want to wear my jammies and slippers (we turn ours into a pajama party too :) )

I'll make a few things but we also do a potluck so everyone will bring an app or desert to share.  I am not sure what i am making yet, currently i was browsing pintrest for ideas.  maybe a dip, a veggie tray (as the boys like the cut peppers) and chips.  and some sort of meat.

i know one couple is bringing chili and another a pepperoni dip so far
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • My inlaws are coming over because they are helping us put ELFA in our master closet - MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL and their 2 kids both under 3.5

I want Seattle to win b/c the Patriots are cheaters and a repeat is cool.  

I am ordering subs from a local deli but will have appetizers/snacks of:
    Pigs in a blanket (crescent rolls)
    7 Layer dip as well as Salsa for the tortilla chips
    French onion dip and chips
    Taco Doritos (these are really for DH)
    Dessert of some kind - I'll probably make 2 types of cookies

I'll be tying my feedbag on and will be having egg whites and fruit for breakfast and barely any lunch in preparation!  
    :P
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We're watching with college friends that live in the next town over. Everyone has young kids, so it'll be mass chaos!

I don't really cares who wins, but my SIL is die hard Pats fan, so I should root for them. I always end up rooting for the underdog :)

I'm making:

Spinach Artichoke dip and...

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• hmp1 said:
    I think I found what I will bring, chicken waffle sandwiches!
    Fried Chicken and Waffle Sandwiches Recipe - RecipeChart.com #Delicious #Delish #SoGood
    Was there a recipe that went with this?  Chicken & Waffles are my favorite thing E V E R.

I'm making wonton mozzarella sticks, guac & wonton chips *why waste the wonton wrappers?!* and an Italian hero ring with salami, ham, turkey & cheese for our "entree."

F Seattle.  I hope they lose.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• It all depends on what mh is doing. If he goes to his friend's house, then I probably won't bother watching. I'm in a pool, do I'll check the scores online lol.

If mh stays home, then I'll watch a little with him. I'll make beef nachos, chicken fingers & mini hotdogs.

• hmp1 said:
    I think I found what I will bring, chicken waffle sandwiches!
    Fried Chicken and Waffle Sandwiches Recipe - RecipeChart.com #Delicious #Delish #SoGood
    Was there a recipe that went with this?  Chicken & Waffles are my favorite thing E V E R.

I'm making wonton mozzarella sticks, guac & wonton chips *why waste the wonton wrappers?!* and an Italian hero ring with salami, ham, turkey & cheese for our "entree."

F Seattle.  I hope they lose.
    This the recipe. I'm going to try to do these waffles, because yum, but will do my normal oven baked chicken.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I'm going to be that snobby football fan for a minute.

I would so much rather just watch the game at home with DH like we do every Sunday. I hate watching football with a bunch of people because I just can't focus over people talking and not paying attention to the game. I dislike both teams strongly, but I'm starting to lean towards favoring Seattle because NFC.

I won't be making anything special, we'll probably just order some wings.

**If my Saints were playing, though, I would be partying it up!!

Anniversary

• hmp1hmp1 member
    edited January 2015
    MrsKipper said:
    I'm going to be that snobby football fan for a minute. I would so much rather just watch the game at home with DH like we do every Sunday. I hate watching football with a bunch of people because I just can't focus over people talking and not paying attention to the game. I dislike both teams strongly, but I'm starting to lean towards favoring Seattle because NFC. I won't be making anything special, we'll probably just order some wings. **If my Saints were playing, though, I would be partying it up!!
    I feel the opposite. Because I don't care about either team, I would rather be with other people chatting, eating, drinking, than at home where I would probably end up doing laundry.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/wonton-mozzarella-sticks
    Here you go @harti09!

My Mom's boss owned a restaurant for awhile back in the very early 90s and they made these.  My Mom made them a couple times a year for special things because O M G, they're just the best.

Here's what I've learned from making them for more years than I care to admit....wrap up all your string cheese, seal them, and then throw them in the freezer for awhile--anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours or so.  That way, when you fry them, you don't ooze cheese everywhere.  When I worked at the bar that my old roommate's Dad owned, we'd make a million and then throw them in the freezer.  They were the best sold menu appetizer--we started making them with pepperjack sticks, or with garlic & parmesan sprinkled in there too.  They're just so darn good.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• If we watch it will be at church.  

I'm going to say Seahawks because Tom Brady is a cry baby.

I think we are supposed to take a snack, but I have no ideas.  I think last year I did cookie dough balls.  They were good but messy.  I should do something easier this year but who knows.
    Try these cookie 'dough' balls instead. They are amazing and have been my requested contribution for years.

Mama Peas Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
    • 1/2 c. non-dairy margarine (i.e. Earth Balance) – I used regular butter since I didn’t have non-dairy margarine.
    • 3/4 c. natural peanut butter
    • 1/2 c. organic brown sugar
    • 3/4 c. organic powdered sugar
    • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
    • 1 t. baking powder
    • 1/2 t. baking soda
    • 3/4 t. salt
    • 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
    • 1/2 c. unbleached organic flour
    • 1/2 c. natural peanut butter chips – I didn’t have PB chips and couldn’t buy any because my family was kinda snowed in since we were still in Tahoe City at this point. So, I just used 1/2 c. more of the chocolate chips.
    • 1/2 c. non-dairy chocolate chips – I used semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Instructions:

Step 1: In a medium bowl, mix butter/margarine, peanut butter, sugars and vanilla until thoroughly combined. The original instructions suggest using a stand mixer. However, since I was at a rented cabin and didn’t have access to one, I used my sweat and blood a wooden spoon to mix everything. It took a bit longer, but the results were the same. A hand mixer would work, too.

Tip: Room temperature butter/margarine is easier to mix with the other ingredients than when it’s fresh-out-of-the-fridge. You can let the butter/margarine sit outside until it reaches the right point, or you can be lazy and microwave the butter until it reaches the right softness (but not much more). I nuked my butter for 20 seconds, but you may need to do it less or more depending on your elevation (I was at somewhere around 6200 feet) and microwave. Also, save the wrapper to butter the baking pan later if you don’t have parchment paper, like me.

Step 2: In a small bowl, combine baking powder, baking soda salt and flours.

Step 3: Now, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time and mix until you end up with something like this (aka until a dough forms):

Tip: If using a stand/hand mixer, make sure to start off at a slower fastness unless you enjoy looking like a ghost.

Step 4: Add your PB and/or chocolate chips and combine. I agree with Mama Pea when she adds that exact measurements aren’t needed… if you know what I mean.10 cups of chocolate chips, please.

Step 5: Cover in plastic wrap (or something else) and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes. See the original recipe for notes on how to fix dough that is too dry.

Step 6: While you wait, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Step 7: Using a mini ice cream scoop or your fingers, form dough into balls and place onto a oiled, buttered or parchment paper covered cookie sheet.

Note: Since I don’t have my cookie scoop with me, I used my fingers. I formed twenty-six 1.5-2 inch balls. My recipe yielded more cookies than the original recipe, which was probably due to a smaller cookie size. The cookies still came out amazing, but remember that the smaller size may cause a need for a shorter baking time.

Step 8: Bake for 10-12 minutes. I baked mine for 9 minutes, due to higher elevation and smaller cookie size. They will look similar to their pre-baked selves. They will be soft and a tiny bit brown underneath, but will harden slightly after they cool. Do not over bake.

Step 9: Let the cookies cool on the pan for a minute, since they are pretty delecate at this point. Then, transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.

Tip: Feel free to eat one or a few or all fresh out of the oven, but wait a minute or two so you don’t burn yourself. They are gooey, warm and delicious.

Step 10: Eat and enjoy!!

The end result is a cookie that is slightly hard and baked on the outside and has a soft, dough-like texture on the inside.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • MrsKipper said:
    I'm going to be that snobby football fan for a minute. I would so much rather just watch the game at home with DH like we do every Sunday. I hate watching football with a bunch of people because I just can't focus over people talking and not paying attention to the game. I dislike both teams strongly, but I'm starting to lean towards favoring Seattle because NFC. I won't be making anything special, we'll probably just order some wings. **If my Saints were playing, though, I would be partying it up!!
    Normally I am all for watching at home or a bar where no one bothers me so I can actually watch the game. BUT, I am an Eagles fan. We have made it to the Super Bowl only a handful of times and we never win. So for the Super Bowl, I like all the chatting and unfocused watching. 

We will make some wings, I will probably make chili, and an app of some kind. We will just stay home, but some friends might come over since we always have booze. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • The super bowl is my bday party every year soooo I will make a few dips and we will order pizza and wings and cupcakes from the bakery. Usually I go waaaayyy over the top and do things like a taco bar, tons of complicated appetizers and a dessert spread, but I'm going for simple this year and I am hoping not to have a years worth of leftovers!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageVisit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • I wasn't planning on even watching the game, but we just got an invite for a party today, so we will probably end up going.  I don't really like watching football, but I sure do like food.  Not sure if they're doing potluck or what, so I should start watching this thread for ideas!
  • My sister's birthday is also Sunday.  So since it's the only time we could get everyone together to celebrate (yes, we still celebrate adult birthdays), we decided to do it during the game.

I haven't figured out the whole menu yet.  My mom always made something called "Stars" that my sister loves, so we're making those for sure.  https://www.food.com/recipe/hidden-valley-ranch-sausage-stars-37199

Now, I'm thinking about wonton mozz sticks thanks to @marissakathleen.  I told my husband I didn't want to deep fry anything though...

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Haven't decided what to make.....maybe Monster Cookie Dip? Or veggie pizza? It depends on where we end up.
    We got invited to a Super Bowl party for families hosted by DH's college fraternity bro. Except they live in Oak Park (shout out to @MommaP12‌), which is not close to us maybe 1hr & 15 min. DH has to be back in the suburbs Mon morning so we are thinking of not going. Plus, lots of kiddos during cold & flu season and our 3 week old?
    DH's bro invited us over just yesterday, so we might do that. Way closer and just my nephews.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We will watch, but not closely I hate the Seahawks (mostly their whiny coach) and I despise cheaters so my guess is it will be the soundtrack to my laundry folding or perhaps a hair cut...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We will watch at home. We rarely watch TV so it's a treat for E to watch. He watched a bit two games ago and has been asking for football ever since. We were invited to parties, but we figure we'll get to watch more and not have to leave and drive home in the middle if we stay home. 

Patriots! Both DH and I lived in MA until our twenties, so we grew up rooting for them. 

I'll make stuffed mushrooms. DH will probably make potato skins. I bought Bugles so we can eat them off our fingers. haha. Nothing fancy. 

• @hmp1 I have made that recipe before, and it is really good! The waffles are awesome. We aren't usually big mustard people, but the one she gives the recipe for totally makes the sandwich. Yummm. We may need to have those again soon.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • @hmp1 I have made that recipe before, and it is really good! The waffles are awesome. We aren't usually big mustard people, but the one she gives the recipe for totally makes the sandwich. Yummm. We may need to have those again soon.

Good to know! I was thinking about making the sauce without the regular mustard because I don't like buying things to use once but I will give it a go.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• What @MrsKipper‌ said. Although I wish all the people would bring us food.

• Rooting for Seattle. I'll probably order boneless wings and chips and queso from Buffalo Wild Wings. We are staying home. If DH invites our neighbors like last year, he will be murdered. We were asked to pause the game and wait to eat food until his fiancé got off work. I have no clue why we actually waited, probably because we were in shock by the bizarre request? It was like 2 hours or something. I can't really be around the chic after that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Awesome. Block of text from mobile. Sorry!

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Rooting for Seattle. I'll probably order boneless wings and chips and queso from Buffalo Wild Wings. We are staying home. If DH invites our neighbors like last year, he will be murdered. We were asked to pause the game and wait to eat food until his fiancé got off work. I have no clue why we actually waited, probably because we were in shock by the bizarre request? It was like 2 hours or something. I can't really be around the chic after that.
    I remember you telling us that story. I still don't know why you all did it. The balls of someone asking you to pause...crazy.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    I can't believe I remember this story and that it was a year ago already!  I agree that murder is on the table if he invites people over. ;)
  • MRoxy0628 said:
    Rooting for Seattle. I'll probably order boneless wings and chips and queso from Buffalo Wild Wings. We are staying home. If DH invites our neighbors like last year, he will be murdered. We were asked to pause the game and wait to eat food until his fiancé got off work. I have no clue why we actually waited, probably because we were in shock by the bizarre request? It was like 2 hours or something. I can't really be around the chic after that.
    I can't believe I remember this story and that it was a year ago already!  I agree that murder is on the table if he invites people over. ;)
    I was thinking the same thing!!  I cannot believe that the story is a year old and we remember it.  You guys we are such good friends, LOL!   Thanks for the OP shout out @amandad715!  

I cannot believe you husband has that much patience.  Mine would have never paused for that amount of time!!

But yes you should never invite them over again!!
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • @tinyhumantoe‌
    Didn't you just have an odd football party story recently with some other friends? Like you made food that the wife wouldnt eat?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @tinyhumantoe‌ Didn't you just have an odd football party story recently with some other friends? Like you made food that the wife wouldnt eat?
    Haha, we had different people over for football and yes, the 5 second pregnant girlfriend wouldn't eat the food I had so we had to order take out.  LOL!  And then the rest of the guests showed up hours late and went to dinner before coming even though they knew we had food.  b-(  I do wonder if the latter was the result of DH's FANTASTIC communication skills. 

• MRoxy0628 said:
    Rooting for Seattle. I'll probably order boneless wings and chips and queso from Buffalo Wild Wings. We are staying home. If DH invites our neighbors like last year, he will be murdered. We were asked to pause the game and wait to eat food until his fiancé got off work. I have no clue why we actually waited, probably because we were in shock by the bizarre request? It was like 2 hours or something. I can't really be around the chic after that.
    I was thinking the same thing!!  I cannot believe that the story is a year old and we remember it.  You guys we are such good friends, LOL!   Thanks for the OP shout out @amandad715!  

• I'm a little scared for Superbowl.  We host a party at our house every year, and the amount of people is so variable that I don't really know how much food to prepare! Plus the kids to adults ratio is getting to be out of control, so I'm hoping it's warm enough to set up an outside play area in the backyard.  Food: I am absolutely doing the potatoes posted earlier (thanks for the idea!!!), veggie chili, sriracha wings, guac and chips, veggie and fruit platters, PB cookies with the mini reese's cups in them, and whatever we think of last minute!

• Go Pats!

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Go Pats!
    Boo, cheaters!  Go Seahawks!   8-}

• We are hosting both neighbors on either side of us. Rooting for the Pats, especially after all this B.S. with the deflated footballs. At the end of all of it, they were only deflated about 1lb which is normal deflate for a football. It's such crap.

Not sure what I'm going to make yet. Probably chili and cornbread along with some bad for you snacks...

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"