Breastfeeding
Options

New pump or just parts? WWYD?

Hello all. I searched the board and haven't seen this discussed in awhile.  I've been on TTC / pregnant boards since weaning my first kid. Now #2 is due in a couple months.

I did exclusive BF / pumping with my first kiddo and was a heavy-duty pumper until I weaned him at 1. I work full time and used the Medela PISA. It was losing suction power towards the end, but was still adequate. I planned on replacing the parts. However, the bag is also falling apart. Medela informed me that they can't replace the bag and I'd just need a new pump.

Would you go for a new pump since the old one got a lot of use, is losing suction, and the bag is falling apart? Or would you just replace the parts and MacGuyver the old bag together?

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

Re: New pump or just parts? WWYD?

• Options
    you can buy generic pump bags on amazon.

can you get a comparable double-electric pump for free via your health insurance? if you were concerned about the suction even after replacing the membranes, maybe it's worth it to get a new one.
  • Options
    Check with your insurance, you may be able to get a new one for free! If not, I bought a Medela bag at a garage sale. You might check eBay or something. I use a Ameda purely yours and you have to replace the diaphragm parts every 3 months. I don't know about Medela though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can definitely get it covered by my HSA, maybe by my insurance.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    You probably only need the little white discs replaced.   I would keep the old one and see how it works first before replacing it.

Also check to see if your insurance will buy you a new one.  I love having 2 pumps.  I just leave one at work all the time and have one at home. 
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I'd look into insurance covering a new one as well (if you're in the states, insurance is required to cover certain pumps now). I've still got mine from last time around, but went ahead and got one through insurance this time (got another PISA). I keep the newer one at the office and when I need to pump at home I get out the older one with a few new parts (also should be covered by your HSA). No more lugging it back and forth between work and home.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I think we're going to try to get a Medela PISA through insurance and keep one at home, one at work. I already have 2 manual pumps that are in great shape.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    Go for new pump. I tried to reuse mine from my DS but suction was too weak and I wasnt pumping much milk. Got a new one, for free covered by insurance, and started pumping well again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"