Breastfeeding

Nursing clothes on a budget

Hi ladies!  While this isn't strictly a breastfeeding question, I'm hoping someone might have a few suggestions.  LO is almost 8 weeks old and I am looking for some nursing tops that would be appropriate for work to facilitate easy pumping but could also be paired with jeans for if we're going someplace and I need to nurse on the go.  I am a Target clothes kind of girl, so I can't justify spending $50 on a nursing shirt.  Also, I am large chested (42E) and even before I got pregnant I couldn't wear button down shirts or sweaters because I could never find one that didn't pull or gap so that's not really an option for me.  I've gotten a few things from Motherhood Maternity on clearance, but does anyone have any suggestions of a store or website to check out?  Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker
EDD 1- Feb 12, 2013; Ectopic Discovered June 2012; Right Tube Removed July 2, 2012
EDD 2- Nov 2014; Stopped Growing at 6w; D&C April 2, 2013
EDD 3- Dec 1, 2014; Fingers Crossed for a Rainbow!

Re: Nursing clothes on a budget

• I got a couple of nursing camis, and just wear them under regular work shirts. If we're out in public and LO wants to nurse, I just pull up my shirt and the cami covers my tummy. I also have a couple nursing bras for around the house. I pretty much wear all my regular shirts.
  • Not sure what your pumping situation is like, but I used the Dairy Fairy bras and just wore normal clothes over it. I was in a private room where I could remove my shirt though. Dairy Fairy was not cheap but they are awesome for flexibility!
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • i purchased a few basic nursing knit tops from old navy/gap online when they had 30% off codes (which is frequent).  the tops are basic - cotton knits, black, navy, grey, burgundy and i usually wear a cardigan or blazer over them to look a little more put together.

for pumping purposes i use a private room as well and just make sure my top is easy to lift up. 

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jenn43 said:

I got a couple of nursing camis, and just wear them under regular work shirts. If we're out in public and LO wants to nurse, I just pull up my shirt and the cami covers my tummy. I also have a couple nursing bras for around the house. I pretty much wear all my regular shirts.

This exactly! Old navy ones are long and cute lacey
  • I do have a few nursing shirts, but many times I'll wear a long tank from target or old navy in a size up. (The ribbed tanks), then a regular shirt over it. When I go to nurse, l Iift the regular shirt up, pull the tank down under my boob and undo my bra. I wear a 36H, and had to have my bras altered because I wasn't fitting into a nursing bra. So my whole boob is out since it's just converted by hooks on the strap, but I still get great coverage. I do wear a cover though. Mostly because I'm a STM, and I learned with DS1, that if they don't get used to a cover when your out, they will really fight it as they get older. Which is lousy for times you really need to cover up for modesty or warmth.
  • i never got any nursing clothes besides nursing bras. i just made sure not to wear anything that was difficult to get out of- like a really fitted blouse or dress. i usually wore cotton shirts with some kind of cardigan over them in colder weather.

for pumping, i undid my bra and hiked up my bra/shirt, and then put on the hands-free pumping bra.

for NIP, i usually just lifted up my shirt and put a scarf over my shoulder.

target does have maternity tops that have a "nursing friendly" tag, so you might be able to find something there that works. they always have great sales.

• I am in the same boat with being large chested, and it has taken some work to figure out what to wear so I can nurse without my 36e's being completely exposed.

I bought some more nursing shirts (that are not the fitted type, but rather "empire waist" flow ones) and wear a Target maternity tank underneath (they are super stretchy, but fitted, so they aren't bulky and pull down easily.) Also, it seems like a good deal because I can wear all of it when I am pregnant again.
  • I wore loose regular clothes but also bought a few nice used Nursing Tops on eBay, Craigslist, resale shops like Kid2Kid or Once Upon A Child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wear nursing bras and undercover mamas.
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"