July 2015 Moms
Options

Robitussin DM safe?

Hi. I'm 16 week pregnant and I have a major cold- terrible cough and am sneezing like crazy. I contacted my OBGYN and she said to take Tylenol or Robitussin DM. Have any of you taken it while pregnant and is it safe?
I'm worried.

Re: Robitussin DM safe?

• Options
    I don't think your OB would tell you to take something that was unsafe to you or the baby. I haven't taken anything but that was also on my "safe meds" list my Dr gave me. Feel better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Getting advice from fellow expecting mothers is the point of this forum, no? THANKS for the input.
  • Options
    That's what I'm taking for my cough too. It was approved by my doctor too. You're good :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I took that about 3 weeks ago, I had a bad cold...
  • Options
    If your OB approved it for you then it's good.
    I haven't taken that while pregnant. I had a sinus cold and I took regular plain old sudafed the 4-6 hour one, no extended release. I took a few cough drops for cough but didn't need robitussin. If I did I would have taken it. Just don't take more than the recommended dose and stop when you feel better.
  • Options
    Obviously it's safe if your doctor recommended. I'm confused about what the question is?
  • Options
    RosieJuly said:

Getting advice from fellow expecting mothers is the point of this forum, no? THANKS for the input.

People did give you advice. They told you that your best bet is listening to the medical advice your doctor gave you and not asking random strangers what meds are safe for you
  • Options
    RosieJulyRosieJuly member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks to those of you who gave actual sincere suggestions and shared similar experiences. You're the reason I joined The Bump. Much appreciated ❤️
  • Options
    If you don't trust the doctor, ask the pharmacist - they tend to know more about specific drugs, and I can guarantee they will say it is safe.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had a terrible cold in first trimester and my doc told me just sinus rinse, Tylenol, and nasacort. According to my OB these were the only 100% safe remedies. Also an antihistamine.
  • Options
    I asked my doctor when I was very sick and she said only Tylenol. Nothing else. It was hell for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    samurrutia89samurrutia89 member
    edited February 2015
    My doctor wrote his own pregnancy booklet for women. It has all sorts of tips and answers. Robitussin DM is suggested for cold and cough in there. Along with Tylenol and sinus medications with only tylenol in it.
  • Options
    your doctor should be a more reliable source than an internet forum
  • Options
    samurrutia89samurrutia89 member
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    My doctor and pharmacist said Tylenol only. Nothing else.
  • Options
    MamamadsMamamads member
    edited February 2015

My doctor and pharmacist said Tylenol only. Nothing else.

Well that's not correct. Hopefully by now the original poster has helped her symptoms but for future reference.. You can take Benadryl, sudafed(after 12 weeks) Claritind, Zyrtec, tylenol cold and sinus, sudafed(after 12 weeks), robitussun(alcohol free), chloraseptic spray, extra strength tylenol.

While I'm at it AVOID THESE: acutane, alka-seltzer, aspirin, ibuprofen(Motrin,Advil) liquid medications with alcohol, Naproxen(Aleve) pepto-Bismol and tetracycline
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"