Cleveland Babies

Breastfeeding vs Formula Feeding

Hi Everyone!

I'm somewhat new on here, but glad to find a group with a lot of local moms!  I was wondering what your thoughts are about breastfeeding vs. formula feeding.  When I first found out I was pregnant I was dead set on breastfeeding but after reading all of the books and hearing all of the horror stories about cracked nipples and all of the supplies you would need to breast pump, I've kind of shied away from the idea of breastfeeding.  At the same time, I feel like formula is the easy way out. I just cant freakin decide!! Any input would be great. 

Thanks Ladies!

TrishNicole1219 :)

Re: Breastfeeding vs Formula Feeding

• In my opinion it's worth at least trying breastfeeding.  There's no shame in giving up if you realize it's not the right fit for you and your family!

Also, breast pumps should be covered by your insurance.  Call your provider and ask for details specific to your plan.  Mine was 100% covered but I had to wait until after I delivered to order, then they over-nighted it to me.  I plan on calling from the hospital this time, haha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • For me, breastfeeding wasn't too hard. I did have some cracked and bleeding nipples at the beginning, but once I got better at helping DS latch on, they healed in no time. I love the bonding time with him but it also takes up most of my time, especially at the beginning. There are days when I want to give it up because formula is easier, but I also know that, for me, I want to give him the best start I can and that is breastfeeding. It's pretty cool to watch him grow and know that my body is providing that! Crazy!! I say try it. And when you feel like giving up, give it a few more days.
  • Loading the player...
  • My little guy never latched, but I pumped until he was 9 months old.  My thought process was always why buy something my body makes for free?  I plan on BFing this little one too.
     TTC #1 since June 2008
    M/C @ 6 weeks 12/31/2008, Ectopic @ 6 weeks on 4/23/2010
    Diagnosed Unexplained 11/2009-DH is fine-I don't get AF
    Cycle #22 - 1/27/11 - IUI #1 & Injections - BFP! - DS born 11/11/11 
    TTC#2 - 2/24/14 - IUI & Injections - BFP! - EDD 11/29/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My little guy got the colostrum in the beginning, but then my milk never came in. I tried supplements, lactation consultants, nipple shield and pumping-nothing worked. I had the best intentions to provide my baby with my breast milk but it was not meant to be. So my baby was put on Similac advance and has no problems with it.
  • I was a very dedicated Breastfeeder due to C-Section guilt. (My birth plan had called for a natural birth!) The first two weeks of breastfeeding is rough - neither you nor your baby know what you're doing and it's work. The majority of cracked nipples and soreness occured (at least for me) before my milk came in at 5 days. Essentially, there was nothing to lubricate the process. Once my milk came in, it got much easier. The key is to use a lactation consultant who can truly teach you what you're supposed to be doing. It's NOT as natural as people make it out to be! HOWEVER - it is extremely rewarding. My goal was 3 months...then 6...then 9...then 12. Before I knew it, I had nursed her until she was nearly 18 months. I didn't mean to - it just happened. One advantage no one ever talks about is that you finally have an excuse just to SIT ON THE COUH! When baby needs to eat, you sit down and catch up on the DVR. Or you're at a family party that you need to get away from? You need to feed the baby "in private" and go to another room (even though you nursed in the middle of the mall last week).

If you're on the fence - get lactation help immediately in the hospital and at least try it for 2 weeks. The first two weeks are the hardest; after that you can decide if you like it or not and then stop. But truly, as long as you're meeting your baby's needs, you are being a good parent.

• I was breastfeeding until my LO was two months, due to me having medical issues. It broke my heart to stop but since them I've been bottle feeding him and it's been great. It's up to you, but give breastfeeding a try! If you don't like it, you can stop. You have to do what you feel is best for you and your baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"