April 2015 Moms
Options

What's your birth plan?

Hi ladies,
Do you already have a birth plan? What are you including in it? Do you know what kind of pain relief you prefer? Music/environment? Any other specifics? What's most important to you?

Or do you not have a "birth plan" per se?

If this is not your first baby is there anything that you want to do differently this time in terms of things you're able to control?

Thanks in advance!
"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson

Re: What's your birth plan?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have always wondered about birth plans. It just seems like setting yourself up for failure.

• Options

1. Go to hospital

2. Give birth

This is about it.

You can have ideas of how you'd like things to go or whatever, but in the end, a healthy baby is the end goal, so your original ideas may disappear in the blink of an eye.
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary
    Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    I'm not going to make a birth plan because I feel like by calling it a plan, I would be setting myself up for disappointment/frustration because when I have plans, I feel the need to stick to them and giving birth doesn't work like that. I have talked with my MW about my preference for a med free, no intervention birth if that works with how my body and my baby are doing that day but I'm open to the fact that things may change and if that happens, that's okay too.

Anniversary

• Options
    STM here. My birth plan is to deliver baby as safely as possible for him and for me. With our first, I learned how worthless birth plans can be. It's not in your best interests to be wedded to some notion of how the birth is supposed to be. You have to go with the flow. Going in with a general idea is ok, but just don't count on anything.
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Options
    Birth plan: I will be drinking water and Gatorade during labor. Do not even think about giving me a "routine" episiotomy. I'd prefer intermittent fetal monitoring over continuous fetal monitoring. My husband is the only non-medical professional allowed in the birthing room.
  • Options
    I have a general birth plan, but am not tied to it. I kind of live by the "make it work" mantra. Sometimes life throws you something unexpected so you have to make it work and understand you did your best with the options you have.
  • Options
    This is my first and I've heard mixed reviews about whether or not a "birth plan" is actually worth it. I found an outline on Pinterest (that was actually from TB) that I liked and think I will use. Essentially you just check boxes for what you want/don't want. I feel this is the easiest way to have condensed info for my nurses/doctors. I'm more concerned about the decisions made after baby comes out vs during the actual labor. I'm not too picky about that part, just give me the drugs and I should be fine.
  • Options
    I realized with my son that there are no such things as birth plans. He came 10 weeks early. I learned that the babies are in charge.

Plan this time. Keep baby in for as long as possible and deliver safely and have a healthy baby that serves no nicu time.
  • Options
    My (very flexible) plan is to hopefully have a low dose "walking epidural", and give birth squatting if I am physically able. Just seems like it would feel more natural than lying flat? But this is my first rodeo so I am just guessing on that. I know I dont want narcotics for pain relief. I would like to have skin to skin immediately afterwards if baby and I are both stable. I am open to change because I have never had an epidural so I have no idea how the epidural will affect me, etc. I dont really have anything else on my birth plan. I will not consider any deviation from the birth plan a failure. What matters is he comes out healthy.

Me-24~~ DH-25~~Married 6/15/2013~~Pregnant with our first due April 2, 2015~ Septate/ Bicornuate/Arcuate /some kind of not-normal uterus- won't know for sure which one till after babe is born~~Hoping for a full term baby!

BabyFetus TickerWorkout Row Flip Fail.gif

• Options
    My only plan is to give birth to a healthy little boy as safely as possible for us both. I am asking for an epi and asking that my bf can cut the cord. Other than that everything else is in the doctors hands.

• Options
    Our plan is to deliver naturally without intervention unless medically necessary. Due to my chronic but controlled hypertension, I will most likely need to be induced in my 39th week but not planning on epidural. We've been taking Bradley classes the past 3 weeks so incorporating relaxation and positioning techniques we're learning about.
  • Options
    NagaWaterNagaWater member
    edited January 2015
    1. Give me an epidural
    2. No I don't want any motherfucking visitors
    3. If you're cutting me open tie my tubes while you're in there
    4. If someone else sees my baby (excluding my DH obviously) before I do I'm going to stab their eyeballs out with whatever I have handy. No pictures sent, no visitors to her room until *I* get to go.

Number four is mostly for DH to follow. Since this one's most likely going to be born before 34wks they will take her directly to the NICU. Mommy can't hold her until her needs are assessed.
  • Options

1. No meds whatsoever.

2. Only SO is allowed in the room.

3. Hold baby boy immedately aferwards.

4. Breastfeed asap afterwards.

5. No circumcision.

Obviously, things don't always go as planned.

FTM & TEAM BLUE!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My hospital promotes birth plans. Some appreciate them more than others.
    I don't have any crazy picky plan, just to delay interventions such as eye ointment and baby's shots until after baby is placed on me skin to skin for initial bonding time.
  • Options

taahira said:

1. Go to hospital

2. Give birth

I'm with you on this one.

This is mine too.

The only thing I would change is add "trust my dr" he did such a great job the first time I'm sure he will this time too.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Real talk my birth plan is that it happens in APRIL not now!! My DH asked me if he should start packing a hospital bag and I said hell no! Baby stay put. But honestly after being in the hospital for other procedures the idea of a "plan" and YOU telling medical professionals what you want sounds so crazy to me. I trust my doctor, and when I get there I trust his decision. I didn't go to medical school nor have ever delivered a baby before, he has and delivered hundreds of babies....I'm gonna go with his opinion over mine. Maybe that's my UO but I'm letting him do whatever he thinks is medically necessary.
  • Options
    I'm surprised at how anti-planning so many are. I'm going to have my plan in writing with help from my friend who is a doula. I've always found (in life and career) that documenting my vision and expectations in writing is a giant step toward getting/doing exactly what i want.
    I'm willing to deviate slightly but I do want my delivery to be as natural as possible.
  • Options
    I has an extensive birth plan with my first. And it ended up being a planned csection due to breech positioning.
    Having the birth plan increased the amount of regret I had for the csection.

This time, though I will do a TOL (pending this baby is not breech) and hope for a vbac, I just want a healthy baby. I have no high hopes to come crashing down.

If anything, a birth planing might give you something to laugh about afterwards.
  • Options
    I did not have a plan last time and I will make a small one this time with some preference I have. I'm not setting myself up for failure I just want to ensure that in the moment when I can't really concentrate or think or figure out what is going on that I have something else there that someone else can look at and say this is what she would prefer. Like delayed clamping, immediate skin to skin. Stuff like that. No reason to not have it written down. I"m not sure if I'm doing delayed clamping but If i am I will make sure it is written down. 
  • Options
    I am planning to use this birth plan. It makes perfect sense to me.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/jamie-and-jeffs-birth-plan
    January Siggy Challenge--Exercise Fails

Met: 2/27/10 Married: 2/16/13 1st LO EDD: 4/10/15
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

AddyV said:

I'm surprised at how anti-planning so many are. I'm going to have my plan in writing with help from my friend who is a doula. I've always found (in life and career) that documenting my vision and expectations in writing is a giant step toward getting/doing exactly what i want.
    I'm willing to deviate slightly but I do want my delivery to be as natural as possible.

What if you or your child's life depends on more than a slight deviation? You really need to be mentally prepared for that. It's not fun to think about, but rigid plans can cause disappointment. None of us are "against planning;" I'd be willing to bet many of us second and third (and more) time moms are just being realistic. I had a big old birth plan last time, and you know what was enough? Clearly starting my wishes to my medical team. They respected me, and made sure to ask me what I was and was not comfortable with every step of the way. I think that was the best way, for me. That birth plan never left my purse.
    My hospital asks if you have a plan or if you have any wishes. They never once pushed pain meds on me. I was induced and trusted my dr. He wanted to break my water and the nurses said it was too early. I trusted him and I'm glad I did because the rest of my labor went very fast because of that. From
    The time I got to the hospital, was induced and actually had my dd was 20 hours. Who knows how long it could have been if I didn't trust in what my dr said.
    It is important to know what you are comfortable with but you have to realize a birth plan isn't set in stone. Yes it does work out for some woman but you never know what is going to happen. That's is why it is so important to have a dr, midwife or Doula that you truly trust. They are there to lead you during a difficult time when you won't always be thinking with the most sense (hormones, pain, exhaustion, etc take over)

I can't find it now but someone said that they were told to call it something other then a birth plan. I feel like the word "plan" sounds so set in stone and can set you up for failure. A guide or list of wishes sounds more flexible just in case it needs to be.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @redneckmomma25‌ I'm a FTM so this may be a stupid question but what is delayed clamping?
  • Options
    tif5596 said:

@redneckmomma25‌ I'm a FTM so this may be a stupid question but what is delayed clamping?

There are pros and cons to clamping the umbilical cord right away, versus waiting a few minutes. I think TheBump may actually have an article about it!
  • Options
    tif5596 said:
    Delayed clamping is where they do not clamp the cord to be cut immediately but wait for the blood to stop flowing so your baby gets what is left in the cord. It's something to look into and research. I have not researched it yet really nor did I do it with my first but I may consider it for the second. 

• Options

tif5596 said:

Delayed clamping is where they do not clamp the cord to be cut immediately but wait for the blood to stop flowing so your baby gets what is left in the cord. It's something to look into and research. I have not researched it yet really nor did I do it with my first but I may consider it for the second. 

They say it is beneficial because your baby is getting all possible amount of blood back in his or her body. My doctor waits for the pulsing to stop with all babies, which is great since I am wanting the delay.
  • Options
    An anesthesiologist friend of mine gave me some good advice - "If you have chosen a good doctor and a good hospital, then you should allow your doctor to do what they do on a regular basis. When you try to interrupt the normal process with your plan, you could put your baby and yourself at risk because you are asking them to do something out of the ordinary that they may or may not be used to dealing with."

As a "process person" myself, this makes a lot of sense to me. Changing a process opens the door for mistakes. So, while I agree with telling your doctor what is important to you, giving them a plan for how they should do their job is probably not something I will do.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification on the clamping. I didn't even know that was something to think about. I'll do some research. The only thing at this point that I am specifically requesting is drugs. I figure LO will come into the world the way she needs to regardless of if I plan the birth or not.
  • Options
    I don't know how that day will turn out, so if everything goes great, I would love to do delayed cord clamping and skin to skin right away. But there could be a problem and I might not get to do those things. I've already talked to my midwife and a nurse at my hospital and they promote both as long as nothing is wrong. I plan on having it in writing just in case, and DH knows our plan too. I don't know if I'll have an epidural or not because of how far we live from the hospital. Hopefully we make it in time.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kjuryflkjuryfl member
    edited January 2015
    * No cytotec
    * No narcotic based pain medication
    * To tear naturally (episiotomy only if extremely necessary)
    * Skin to skin immediately following birth

These were my wishes with my first and it worked out beautifully. Hoping for the same result with this baby.
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Options
    Pix3llePix3lle member
    edited January 2015
    I honestly got a little confused reading that i should bring my 'birth plan' with me, i don't understand what can really be specified to need one?

Mine is:
    -Go to hospital
    -Not have an epidural if i deliver vaginally.
    -Have baby.

Then hopefully everyone will give me some time to rest before flooding into the hospital, i can only hope he's born after visiting hours!

EDIT: My friend mentioned something about a TENS machine which she used during labor, i may try that if i can.
  • Options

Get to hospital before #3 shoots out on its own.

Try for non-medicated (was induced with #1&#2).

Have a healthy baby by whatever means necessary.

DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015

• Options
    Im a first time mom and I really don't have much of a plan. I just hope to have a vaginal birth and that we both leave there happy and healthy
  • Options

1. Go to hospital

1.5 Have epidural if possible

2. Give birth

I thought the first time I read this it said your plan was "Don't die"  Not sure why it's gone now.

I was quoting it because that's my only plan.  Don't die.  My hematologist writes my birthplan.  I have a few preferences that they squeeze in if they can and if they can't oh well. 

That being said, I'm really glad that most women get more choices than I do.  I really hope you all get as close to your Plan A as possible, but be flexible. 

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"