Preemies

Baby Jaydan Giovanni born at 32 weeks

How long does a 32 weeker have to stay in the hospital? Doctors tell me it all depends on my baby Im just so anxious to bring my baby home

Re: Baby Jaydan Giovanni born at 32 weeks

• It really depends on the baby. They usually have to weigh 5 lbs and be able to take a bottle. Babies learn the suck reflex around 34 weeks. They usually go home around 35 in best case scenarios.
  • It's hard to say - it varies a lot. But 32 weekers do really well, from what I understand! Good luck to you and I hope your NICU stay is short and sweet. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Loading the player...
  • I had a 33 weeker two weeks ago. We're told she's not going home until at least 37 weeks. She's on track now so hopefully that's the case.
  • I have twin boys who were 32 weekers and twin B came home at 35.5 weeks and twin A came home 2 days later at 36 weeks. Their problems were just eating/growing. They were 4lbs.13oz and 4lbs.15oz when we brought them home.

10 medicated IUI's (3 with injectables). 
    IUI #1 (medicated) Jan. 2013-BFP!!!!- Beta's didn't double, MTX shot for possible ectopic.
    8 IUI's between April 13-April 14 = BFN 
    IUI #10 and final before IVF, injectables May 2014- BFP!!!!  TWINS!!!!

7 week ultrasound showed 2 wonderful heartbeats!
    8 weeks to the ER with vaginal bleeding while on vacations!  Diagnosed SubChorionic Hemorrhage.  Babies are both great.
    9 week ultrasound showed both babies are still great.
  • Congrats on your LO! My DD was 33weeks 4 days and spent 24 days in the hospital. It really does all depend.... Hope your stay is short. Good luck.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My 30 weeker stayed for 35 days. He had to learn how to suck, swallow and breathe at the same time.

He was 4 lbs 10 oz when he came home.
  • My 33.3 weeker had a 12 day stay and my 35.2 weeker had a 6 day stay. Hope your little guy gets to come home soon.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 31/5 weeker was in for 26 days but yeah it really depends on the baby. I have friends who had younger babies with about the same stay and friends with older babies with longer stays. I know it is hard and hope he will be home soon
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Congratulations! DS1 was born at 32w3d. He was in the NICU for 24 days. Thankfully, our greatest hurdle was nailing the suck, swallow, and breathe reflex. That was very frustrating! All babies are different, though. The nurses tell you to expect your preemie home around his or her due date, but usually they come home a little bit sooner. He is in the best hands and he will be home before you know it!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• It really does depend on how well your baby is doing and if there are any complications etc. The main focuses before letting the baby out of NICU are how well the baby eats, how well they maintain a temperature, and are they constantly gaining weight. I had my baby boy at 32 weeks as well and he had no complications at all. He just needed to gain some weight. Since he was doing so well with no set backs the hospital allowed us to bring him home three weeks later and he was just 4 lbs 8 ounces. I think they also look at how the parents are reacting around the child and if they are ready to take the baby home as well. It is difficult not having your baby home with you, but my husband and I made sure to see him every single day in the NICU and it made us appreciate him coming home a lot more. Just think of it this way, he wasn't supposed to be here as yet anyway. So just hang in there, he will be healthy and home before you know it. Good Luck! 
  • Congratulations! Hope your little one is continuing to do well, and that you are taking care of yourself, as well.
    NICU stays can vary so much, even hospital to hospital for similar stage babies.

My twins were 34w5d and had minimal issues learning to breathe well on their own, maintain body temps, and gain weights by eating well consistently. That NICU was also what I call a "non-cue based" unit, and they seemed to be force feeding them just so the nurses could record # of ounces used vs truly ounces consumed. They were released at 8 days of age. A week later, I was still trying to manage their feeding issues and had to go through several hoops with my pediatrician (in a very rural area) to get them on reflux meds and to get their weight gain back on track.. It was exhausting and I did not feel prepared, and worried they would be readmitted for failure to thrive.

My last baby was born in a different state (different hospital) at 30w2d due to a spontaneos pPROM at 29w6d. He had a very hard time with breathing, temperature, and especially feeds. One of the first things the neo dr told me was that typical NICU stay there was "until due date". Thankfully, nothing more serious than some other families I met while there. I didn't think we'd EVER get out of there because it seemed the goals they were setting for his discharge were so out of reach and they did not push his feeds like I'd experienced before. They were very conservative in their methods of his reaching his goals, and there were some days it seemed like we were 2 steps forward-3steps backward. But they were able to diagnose his severe reflux while there and get him on the proper meds ASAP to get it under control. When we were finally sent home, 10 weeks later, I felt we were truly prepared for him to be HOME.   
    I will also add that I noticed other babies born at the same gestational age as my son getting sent home within what seemed like a blink of an eye.. those babies were mostly the females and were serious fighters.
    I pray this is the case with you as I know the NICU is an exhausting and worrisome place.
    Hugs to you and your little girl! (and sorry to write a book...)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• DD2 was born at 32 weeks and she stayed 6 weeks. Each baby is different. I remember crying when other babies went home. I was happy for the families but at the same time I was stuck at the hospital. We almost left when she was 35 weeks gestational age but she began having gut issues. Stay strong!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Any update? Are y'all home now?
  • My 32 week baby girl was born 3 lb 9 oz and stayed in the NICU for 25 days. She never had any issues and was basically a grower & feeder in the NICU. It took her a little bit of time to learn how to drink from a bottle. I think she was 4 lb 11 oz when she came home. She is now 2 and a half years old and is the happiest little girl. You can't tell at all that she was a preemie. Good luck to you! Everything will be great!
  • I have 32/2 weekers (twin girls) currently in the nicu. Have been there for 2 weeks now. Just still learning how to suck and swallow and breathe all at the same time. Like everyone else has mentioned, they say to plan on my due date (April 24th), but I'm hoping a little before that..,..it's so tough leaving them everyday. It's torture!!!! Just take it day by day, it's all we can do!!! Good luck! And congratulations :)
  • My Ben was born at 32 & 6 on March 20th, and we expect him home in the next few days - if all works out, he'll have been in the NICU just short of a month! It definitely depends on baby, but the NICU will help you know!  Take it easy on yourself, take care of yourself, and it'll happen!

In the mean time, if you can travel home and back and are feeling well, take the chance to finish up the things you meant to do the last few months of the pregnancy.
    Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

Handstamped, custom jewelry from Charmedseed... grown just for you!