Natural Birth

baby #2 deciding hospital or midwifery clinic

chickklitchickklit member
edited January 2015 in Natural Birth
So DS is 18 months old and I made the switch to a CNM at 30+ weeks. I delivered him at the birthing clinic and within 8 hours of delivery, we went home. I was SOOO ready to go home!!

Now that we're pregnant with baby #2, I'm wondering if I'm crazy to not take advantage of the hospital stay and service for a couple days. The birthing clinic typically doesn't keep you longer than 12 hrs since the moms are healthy and physically able to go home.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had 2 deliveries and could tell me how different it was going from 0 kids to 1 in comparison to 1-2 kids. I obviously won't be running around with DS when I get home with the new baby.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: baby #2 deciding hospital or midwifery clinic

• i HATED being at the hospital with my first. All i wanted to do was go home. But i guess that depends on your hospital, if you share a room, if theres a space for your husband etc. I think you just need to find some support for your DS so you can be left alone for the most part with the new baby.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If you had a positive birth center experience the first time then I would do that again. Is your partner able to step up to the plate with your older child? Even if your partner only took a few days off work it would still be a big help
  • Loading the player...
  • There is a similar post  a few below about HB vs. hospital that might help you gain some other perspectives.  I wrote many thoughts in that post, but to answer your question on the baby #2 point: being home right away was awesome for us! I think that it helped the birth feel like a family affair and helped DS1's understanding of things be smooth as he didn't have to be away from us for more than a few hours. In terms of post-partum care in the hospital, mine wasn't pleasant (details in other post), so being home was a considerable upgrade.
  • Thanks ladies for all your help! I'm thinking I'll stick with my CNM. I had a wonderful experience and remember I was really wanting to be at home for rest and recovery.
  • With DS we went home as quickly as we could, I really wanted to get out of there.  This time?  I am so staying as long as they let me!!!   I don't get served three meals at my bedside at home and it'll give me time to bond with the baby without throwing in a million other things, like caring for DS, cleaning the house, preparing meals, etc.  I'm actually a little excited for it.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• JCWhitey said:

With DS we went home as quickly as we could, I really wanted to get out of there.  This time?  I am so staying as long as they let me!!!   I don't get served three meals at my bedside at home and it'll give me time to bond with the baby without throwing in a million other things, like caring for DS, cleaning the house, preparing meals, etc.  I'm actually a little excited for it.

Did you deliver at a hospital or a clinic with DS? it's just not typical for moms to stay longer than 12 hrs at the midwifery clinic I went to. It's so hard knowing what to expect without experiencing it yet?
  • If all goes well we should be home about 6 hours afterwards, delivering in a birth center with midwives.This has really been on my mind lately and I'm interested to see how it all pans out. This is our first though. 

The biggest downside I see if that once you are home everyone wants to come visit. It's flu season and I just want to focus on our new baby, I'm not thrilled with the idea of both sides of our family trying to come camp out and "help". At a hospital you can have the nurses say no visitors or make up some reason, but when people are coming to your home you feel like you need to entertain/feed them or at least I do. But I'm letting DH deal with all that mess and trying not to anticipate it being a pain. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We had a hospital birth with DS 5+ years ago, and it wasn't the experience we wanted. (Long story). Today was my first tour at a birth center and meeting our potential midwife... And I loved it! I am so exited about a natural birth in a cozy and homey environment! I'm so excited about water birth and lack of medical interventions! Everything about the visit today made me feel powerful and comfortable and excited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"