Breastfeeding
Options

Machine shop and breastfeeding?

I'm a CNC set up tech. I'm one of every few women in my work place, and I'm 20 weeks pregnant. I'm researching my pumping options, and while I haven't had a chat with HR yet, I'm not seeing many myself. The building I work in has only 3 offices with doors, and one of those has a window into the shop, one glass door (and is the maintenance office, and while our maintenance guys are very nice, I think this is crossing too many boundaries. The other is the production managers, and I don't even want to talk about him. The supply closets we have are literal closets, just shelves, no room for even a chair, and some of those have windows too. The bathrooms are all single rooms but, 2, I share with 15 men (one of those, confusingly has a shower stall in it), and the official women's room (which is in the office part of the building) has the cat litter box too, oh and I can basically chat with the programmer, whose desk is on the other side of the wall while I'm in there (he doesn't have an office either, just a desk in the reception area).

At this point, I'm planning on pumping in my car. I know that my company has 50-60 employees, and is required to make accommodations, but I don't see an obvious solution because of the nature of my work place. It's literally a warehouse full of machinery. I don't even see a space where they could build me a room. I haven't read anything from other women working in industrial settings, so I'm hoping someone has dealt with this before or has ideas.

Has anyone pumped in their car? Which products worked for you?

There is a slight possibility that when I come back from maternity leave I'll be moved to the other building, which has a conference room and a larger supply closet, but walking there for breaks from my current building isn't feasible.

Thanks

Re: Machine shop and breastfeeding?

• Options
    Hi. I pumped in my car for months it is definitely doable. I rented an Ameda Elite hospital grade pump because I was worried about my supply dropping and the amount of time it would take to pump. I think it was completely worth it. You can purchase a car adapter power inverter for ~$20 at most auto parts store or online. It allows you to use any pump you would like. 

Most personal pumps also have a battery or car adapter option. 

Two other items that helped were a widow shade for privacy and a pumping tank top. 

Good Luck! 

• Options
    I pumped in my car for about 7 months with both of my children. I just used a car adapter and put my nursing cover on for a little privacy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    2ndGeneration2ndGeneration member
    edited January 2015
     I'd say either use a closet or go out to the car.
  • Options
    That's unfortunate, but car pumping is doable. I'd still ask your employer. I also kept my nursing cover with me, in case I had to pump in a not so private area, but I'm very much not shy. I used the medela freestyle, which is battery pack powered, so it can be used anywhere, no electric required.
  • Options
    I'm not very shy, so I'm sure with a cover and window screen I'll be fine in the car.  Also, my uniform shirts button, so it'll be easy to wear a nursing tank under it. 

Thanks all, glad to know that it's a viable option if nothing better works out. I was having a late night freak out.
  • Options
    I work at an automotive shop (The only girl) and I pump in our back office. There is a glass door and a window that lead out to the shop. I simply told the guys what I'm doing and to not come in during that time usually 20-30 mins. I used a nursing cover in the beginning but now I just face the wall. Of course this situation is not ideal for everyone and I'm really comfortable with my coworkers. I thought about the bathroom at first but that's gross. I could have done it in my car too but I really didn't want to.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"