Baby Names
Options

family drama!

What do I do if we announce the name and hubby's grandmother can't say it or spell it, my mom and sister hate the middle name and my grandmother hates the whole thing. They are really overbearing. I love our name, I don't think it's to weird or something no one has heard before. I know that our opinion is the only one that matters but I just keep feeling rejection from my family at every angle...

Re: family drama!

• Options
    What is the name

• Options
    Now you have to tell us the name!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What's the name?! 

This is also why we aren't sharing our name with anyone, I have very opinionated family members! Anyways, if you love the name, stick to your guns. I would be shocked if they continued to still despise it (at least openly) once your baby is born. 

If your sick of hearing them talk about how much they dislike the name, just tell them over and over again until they get it that the name discussion is closed and change the subject. As far as pronunciation and spelling, that is easy. Write it on a piece of paper for her and remind her how it is pronounced. My niece has a very unusual name and it is not how I thought you would spell it but after a few tries, I got it down. Good luck!  

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• Options
    agallaher12agallaher12 member
    edited January 2015
    The name is Ian Sawyer. It's nothing to crazy... but they all hate it. I've told them since I disclosed the name that there would be no discussing it. That was his name, and that's it. They just keep nagging... next time around I won't disclosed the name until it is signed on the birth certificate.

Edited to say: the grandmothers seem to think Ian will get misspelled as EN literally, that's what they keep telling me. Last time I checked Ian was the only CORRECT way to spell it. Other than the kre8tive spelling Ean.
  • Options
    Iain is another legit spelling, but whatever.

The name is fine, they'll get over it
  • Options
    Ian may not be 'common' to them, but pretty much everyone else in the English speaking world knows how to say/spell Ian ;)

I thought you were going to say they had more of a problem with the Sawyer part.

Stick to the name. You love it and it's a good name. If they don't like it, tough titties.

I think the only person I'd share my name choice with is my mom. She wouldn't judge and she'd keep it to herself.

Everyone else would have to wait :)
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I needed a little reassurance that I wasn't crazy thinking that most people had heard it before. My mom and sister wanted Kameron Elijah (that being said... it's a nice name but his initials would have spelled KEG) and the grandmothers wanted something more dated (i.e. Joseph, Johnathan, Matthew, etc.) While all are nice I'll stick to my gut and Ian Sawyer will be his name <3
  • Options
    Definitely stick with it, I also was expecting some crazy name, but it's really great. Your family will just have to learn to live with it :)
  • Options
    It's a great name! Stick with it.
    FWIW My father-in-law tried to talk us out of naming DS1 Elliot (we stuck with it) and my brother's name is Ian and when he was born (40 years ago) my grandmother said 'David's a nice name.' And then proceeded to give him seventy five different nicknames for the rest of her life :) Do you love all the names your family has chosen? Probably not. To each their own.
    Ian is perfectly normal and still somewhat unique/uncommon. I would definitely consider it myself if it wasn't my brother's name!
  • Options
    Such a nice name. Please keep it.
  • Options

What do I do if we announce the name and hubby's grandmother can't say it or spell it, my mom and sister hate the middle name and my grandmother hates the whole thing. They are really overbearing. I love our name, I don't think it's to weird or something no one has heard before. I know that our opinion is the only one that matters but I just keep feeling rejection from my family at every angle...

Well I would say thank you for your opinion, but you have had your chance to name your children, but this is ours and you don't get a vote.
  • Options

Obviously you have different naming styles.  NBD.  You probably don't shop for the same clothes either.

• Options
    My response would be: for every negative comment that you share despite me telling you not to, is one more day away from meeting him. Love him as Ian or GTFO. May be harsh but with my family it would do he trick
  • Options

Thanks guys! I needed a little reassurance that I wasn't crazy thinking that most people had heard it before. My mom and sister wanted Kameron Elijah (that being said... it's a nice name but his initials would have spelled KEG) and the grandmothers wanted something more dated (i.e. Joseph, Johnathan, Matthew, etc.) While all are nice I'll stick to my gut and Ian Sawyer will be his name <3 </p>

Tell them if they want to name a baby to then to get pregnant and name that child, but until then your son's name is Ian Sawyer.
  • Options
    Ian is normal...
  • Options
    I love Ian. Prefer the spelling Iain, but Ian is defeinitely legit and normal.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Ian Sawyer is a good name! I don't think anyone in the general public will have problems spelling or pronouncing either one.
  • Options
    You really have to know your family to decide whether or not you should share names. I am very certain that no one in my family would say anything rude about a name I chose, unless it was a stupid name, and in which case, I would probably thank them! So, we do share. We are also extremely confident with the choice before sharing, so that helps deter any comments we might get. If you have a more brass family who will say offensive things about your name choice, then I agree with the others that avoiding sharing is best. I think it's a great name and certainly lightyears better than Kameron! 
  • Options
    Ian Sawyer is a great name.  My mom was not really a fan of Vivienne's name, but after she was born she got over it.  They will just have to deal, it is your child not their child.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I can understand your family issues; DH's grandparents couldn't pronounce Isla and MIL replied with "You're kidding, right?" MIL still misspells her name as Islam :S

I'm currently pregnant and we still plan to share our names before birth. However, we're confident in our choices and don't mind judgement and confrontation if a family member is rude enough to offer an opinion when not asked.
    I find it really strange that your mother suggested a name both first and middle like this is her baby to name. I would get that straightened out before baby comes. You are the mother and she is the grandmother. Times are changing. Period.

• Options
    I thought it was going to be pretty out there, but IanSawyer is fine. I actually like it, it's not my style, but I do like it keep it please.

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"