March 2014 Moms

how many naps?

How many naps are your LOs taking each day?  LO will be 10 months on Monday and as of now, she goes to bed around 8, STTN until about 8am, naps around 10:30 or 11 and this nap is anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes.  Then she takes another nap around 4 and this one can go anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half or two....usually if her morning nap is short, her afternoon is longer and vice versa.

The last three nights she didn't get her pm nap just due to being busy and out and about and hasn't been all that cranky.  She's been very upset at bedtime lately, and naps....it doesn't take her a real long time to fall asleep, maybe 5 or 10 minutes, but sleep is proceeding by crying which she never did before.  My brother watched her tonight, I warned him of the crying but there was none.  He put her in her crib, she just barely finished her bottle before she fell asleep and he was still in the room putting her clothes away and stuff.  So I'm thinking about cutting out her afternoon nap.  I know it may have been due to the fact that someone else put her to bed tonight, but I figure it's worth a try.

I'm wondering who here is down to just one nap a day, and at what age did they stop napping twice a day?
Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

Re: how many naps?

• LO has days where he only has one nap. And days where he has 2 or 3 naps.
    I let him lead the way since I am still on maternity leave.
    We get up in the morning whenever HE is ready for the day.

I've seen him wake up at 7am then nap for 3 hours at 9am then be up until bedtime (8-9pm).
    I've also seen days where he wakes between 8&9am then has 2 naps for an hour or two each.

When I return to work he will be on a schedule since I will need to drop him at a sitters. Then he will figure out a good nap schedule.

Fwiw, DS1 was not a fan of more than one nap from a very young age.
    And DD almost refused any naps from 6 months on.
  • We have 2/3 naps a day. She is not a great napper an only sleeps 30 mins to 45 mins per nap unless I extend them by rocking. Depends on what we have going on that day and when she wakes.
    If she's up by 6 then nap at 8 and 12 and a "snap" around 4.30. But if she's up at 6.30/6 then she naps at 9 and then a two hour from 1-3 with not snap.

She usually totals about 14 hours with nightime sleep from 7am to 6 am.
  • Loading the player...
  • We're still at 2 naps per day, an nourish each, and sometimes she will sneak a catnap in the car here and there. It took a long time for our naps to get decent and predictable. I hope there's no change soon!/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 2 naps a day, one morning and one afternoon. Each nap is about one hour but some days it's shorter or longer.

At night she sleeps about 11-12 hours with 1 or 2 wake ups.
  • LO is still on two naps a day.

I *think* DD1 transitioned to 1 nap around 16 months, but I can't remember for sure.  She may have been on the later end for the transition (or at least that was the way it seemed on her BMB).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh, one other thing....usually the afternoon nap is the one that stays and the morning nap is the one that goes.  During the transition, sometimes it gets a little tricky with which nap they want/take (might sleep in the morning so they don't want the afternoon nap), but ideally they end up with just an afternoon nap.  DD1 who is 3 is still taking an afternoon nap.
  • Also, (sorry for the triple post, but whatevs...) if she's being fussy going down at night while missing her afternoon naps, it might be that she is OVERTIRED and having a hard time falling asleep.  Sounds counterintuitive, I know, but when either of my kids haven't been sleeping well/miss nap/whatever, going to sleep is that much harder until we get back on track.
  • 1-2 naps depending on the day
  • Most days my LOs take two naps. I do remember that DS1's daycare moved them to one nap a day right around turning one. I think they had lunch at 11:00 and naps started around 12:00.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, (sorry for the triple post, but whatevs...) if she's being fussy going down at night while missing her afternoon naps, it might be that she is OVERTIRED and having a hard time falling asleep.  Sounds counterintuitive, I know, but when either of my kids haven't been sleeping well/miss nap/whatever, going to sleep is that much harder until we get back on track.

The crankiness at bedtime is with a pm nap. Yesterday she didn't have a pm nap and went to bed no problem. I know one night doesn't mean anything, it just got me wondering.

I should clarify that her afternoon nap is around 4 or 430 pm and her "morning" is like 1130 ish but like today didn't nap until 12 until 130. So if we did cut out the afternoon nap, her one nap would be early afternoon.

I guess I'll experiment. Even if she does go down to one, I know she'll likely have many days here and there where she does still need two and some days take one before she transitions to just one everyday.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• LO loves to sleep. 2-3 naps/day. Each nap goes for 1-2 hours.

• Lo naps twice a day and both are usually 1:30-2 at home (I think daycare they are shorter since it is noiser)! It's crazy cause she also does 12 hrs at night. My mom has always said I was a napper though so I think she takes after me. No plans to cut out a nap anytime soon.
  • LO still takes 3 naps a day consistently! He sleeps from around 7:30 to 6:30/7ish. Then he's awake for about 2 hours before he's ready for a nap. Each nap is one hour or a little over. I think he's making up for the first 7 months of his life when he woke me up every 2 hours.
  • My LO naps on me usually twice a day- one nap is 1.5-2 hours and the other is usually 1-1.5 hours. Since he's been with a babysitter 3 times a week, she's been putting him down more for naps and he's done ok with that 4 out of 5 times.
  • @babycaps any idea how long this fussy period lasts? I need a light at the end of this tunnel.
  • Usually 2 naps a day (about 1.5 hours each) with 3 hours between each nap. However, the last 2 days have been wonky.

I admit while I still put her down awake for bed, I'm generally singing to her until she has pretty much dozed off for naptime lately. She is just so wired anymore that if I put her down awake for naps it pretty much fails miserably. (I tried putting her down awake for her first nap today, and it was a disaster. :-/)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"