June 2014 Moms

working mom check in 1/19

Who is here? Who is elsewhere? Trying to decide the best place to post this lol

Engaged: 7/19/09 Married: 9/19/10
BFP: 10/14/13 EDD: 6/16/14 DD Arrived: 6/21/14
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June '14 Siggy Challenge: Warm Places

Re: working mom check in 1/19

• Someone just tried to walk in on me pumping!

You have to have special privileges on your badge to be able to access the pump room and then there is a dead bolt on the inside that you can turn to change the sign on the outside from
    "vacant" to "occupied". I was inside with the door locked and the sign turned to occupied and I could hear someone using their badge to try to open the door (it makes a beeping noise when you swipe your badge)!! WTF? Only nursing mothers are able to get into the room - so they all know what the room is for and can see that it is being used - why would anyone try to open the door?!

• @frenchocolate611 that's freaky!! I'm still here..thankful I have the day off with my little guy. Tomorrow I will be back into the work world blah. Can someone tell me what happened with lest?
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Still here! Did not have today off :( womp womp. Babe is doing amazing and cut her third tooth. I'm trying to enjoy everything and let myself not be guilty. 
  • @clwheel - I am here. I never ventured over to parenting. Can only handle so many tech distractions. ;)

@frenchchocolate611‌ - that is crazy and would freak me out. Hope you are able to pump going forward in peace.
  • That's so cool that you guys have actual pumping rooms! Do they have comfy chairs and are they warm?! I pump in a random office at school that isn't really used. I'm basically the only one with the key which is nice because I'm pretty much guaranteed total privacy but it's not very comfortable and always cold.
  • babygabe614babygabe614 member
    edited January 2015
    I'm still here for this and born to run JuneBugs :) I was off today though so not much to contribute.

• Someone just tried to walk in on me pumping!

You have to have special privileges on your badge to be able to access the pump room and then there is a dead bolt on the inside that you can turn to change the sign on the outside from
    "vacant" to "occupied". I was inside with the door locked and the sign turned to occupied and I could hear someone using their badge to try to open the door (it makes a beeping noise when you swipe your badge)!! WTF? Only nursing mothers are able to get into the room - so they all know what the room is for and can see that it is being used - why would anyone try to open the door?!

UGH WTF?!?! We have a key to ours and an occupied sign we put out. I had someone knock one day. I think only the other girl who pumps and facilities has the key. Unfortunetly there are files in there. I'm waiting for someone to come in. How many more months of pumping left?!?!

• That's so cool that you guys have actual pumping rooms! Do they have comfy chairs and are they warm?! I pump in a random office at school that isn't really used. I'm basically the only one with the key which is nice because I'm pretty much guaranteed total privacy but it's not very comfortable and always cold.
    We have a file room that they gave us a table and chair... that's about it. It's in a semi remote part of the building. It sucked this summer though because we went through a system conversion and they did a lot of testing for probably a month straight in the room outside and they had the AC cranked... I pretty much froze to death. Not sure how I got any output!

• FYI there is a June 14 and EP Board elsewhere.... just for the record :)

• Hi Ladies - this is my first full week back with classes. They are going well. Forgive the long post.

Childcare is another story. We have a sitter and mutually agreed on rates/duties/hours when we hired her. Once we started FT hours, she started walking on thin ice. She is upset we take out taxes, wants more $/hours. She asked to meet with us last week to discuss these items. So we did and asked her to share her concerns and she was not forthright. She made a huge stink about signing the contract, we gave her a few days to read it. We signed it today and after everything she did not read the damn thing based on her ?s and then tried to negotiate again. I told her terms are final. She is great with G and he loves her. I am thinking of seeing how the next month goes and if things don't settle down then we"ll start looking. Wondering if any other working mamas had a similar experience and how they handled it.
  • Ugh @skfg that stinks. But really its her fault for not reading and still signing. As an adult she should know better.

• Ugh feel like I can't win. Spent my whole day off yesterday attempting to clean the house and made sure dinner was ready when H got home. This morning he's stamping around and being all cranky because there were some dishes from after dinner and I got a little annoyed that he ate 2/3 of the brownies I wanted...

To top it off I start a new position today that I didn't really want but had to take in order to keep a job.

• Good luck @clwheel! Hope you like this position better than the last. 
  • @KrystaJ - what?? Why would someone do that? They must understand how uncomfortable that must be for the person inside. I would never do that to someone I knew was pumping, how rude!!

• clwheel said:
    That's so cool that you guys have actual pumping rooms! Do they have comfy chairs and are they warm?! I pump in a random office at school that isn't really used. I'm basically the only one with the key which is nice because I'm pretty much guaranteed total privacy but it's not very comfortable and always cold.
    We have a file room that they gave us a table and chair... that's about it. It's in a semi remote part of the building. It sucked this summer though because we went through a system conversion and they did a lot of testing for probably a month straight in the room outside and they had the AC cranked... I pretty much froze to death. Not sure how I got any output!

Ours is just a tiny little unmarked room with a small table and chair. It is nice to have a dedicated room, but ours is not that warm and it is in a very busy part of the floor next to the water cooler, printer, mailboxes, etc. I hate that people always congregate outside the door and have long conversations there - it makes it a little awkward going in and out of the room since I have to badge in, lock/unlock the door. I have heard multiple people wondering what that room is for when they see me go in (I mostly work with men so not something I really want to explain to them or have them realize I am doing haha). I also don't think this room is ever cleaned and I don't know who it is - but someone does not clean up very well after themself! There is dried milk that has dripped down the side of the table and I have found milk spilled on the chair multiple times. It is so gross. I have tried to clean some of the milk of the table - but to be honest, cleaning up someone else's dried breast milk kind of grosses me out. I have recently started going to the room two floor up because that one is cleaner. I don't understand why people can't just clean up their own messes - especially when it involves bodily fluids.

• @hampire - LOL that is a great "code" word.

GL @clwheel! That really stinks but hopefully it is not as bad as you are expecting.

@skfg - ugh, how annoying. We only have a babysitter one day a week and she is a college student we pay hourly so we haven't run into that yet. I am sorry you are having to deal with that though!

• @hampire wow. thats kinda funny.  especially since she's a woman!

Back to work today. Long weekends are awesome and awful at the same time. I can never seem to get it together in the mornings no matter how hard I try and how much I prep the night before... 

@skfg  So sorry to hear about your childcare lady.  Pretty ridiculous that you spelled it out and she still acted all weird.  No experience, LO is taken care of by family members.  Very smart that you did a contract tho!
  • @skfg that is really frustrating.  Hopefully things settle down with her and you don't have to find someone new.

Good luck today @clwheel!

My pumping space is my office.  It's nice that I don't have to go anywhere but I've also had a lot of problems with being disturbed because people don't realize I'm pumping (or don't care?) when the door is closed.  I have a sign on my door not to disturb which has helped.  Before I put the sign up people would knock on my door and then stand next to it waiting for me to open it.  It got really awkward when I just sat there with the pump going knowing they could hear but weren't leaving.  Once I told my boss she has been great about getting loiterers to leave me alone but it still occasionally happens.  I still have coworkers that try to talk to me through the door (and they know I'm pumping).  If I forget to put my phone on DND I sometimes get buzzed by a coworker, which is awkward because it's like an intercom system so they just start talking to me on speaker. 

I hope everyone's Tuesday is going well so far!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Clwheel‌ I hope your day goes well!

@hampire‌ Pumping is also a bad word where I work. My coworker has asked me to please say that "I'm going to do my thing" instead of pump. I only do it because I really like her but it is kind of funny to see her reaction when I let it "Accidentally" slip. Lol
  • amackattackamackattack member
    edited January 2015
    @thankusweetLordbaby2 wow. That actually makes me angry. Like pumping is something "dirty" or to be ashamed of or to hide or unnatural. I would never honor that request. You are MUCH nicer than I for doing so!
  • Agree with @amackattack!! I can't believe she asked you to do that!

• Thanks for your support ladies! Lots of lessons learned on this one. Part of the negotiation game was cultural and she took it too far. My HR background served me well and I had experience negotiating. It sucked that I had to be the bad guy while DH sat more quietly. It is safe to say she is aware of the boundaries.

As for pumping laws, I don't know specifics and would think if state law protects you for a year a note from a doctor citing medical necessity for your child's health would extend your pumping protections. Just a guess. La Leche or Breastfeeding USA may have more info.
  • I'm still here! I got home late last night from S.C. and am completely exhausted after a full day of work today.  I'm still going to stick around here until it becomes a ghost town, but I might create a profile at the other place too.  I never hopped on any of the fb groups, but if ya'll want me, then PM me! 

• Brittnic531Brittnic531 member
    edited January 2015
    @skittler2‌ - I replied! @MommyWaldron‌ - did you see all TB drama and why people are jumping ship, or are you asking about something else?
  • vv826vv826 member
    edited January 2015

@thankusweetLordbaby2 wow. That actually makes me angry. Like pumping is something "dirty" or to be ashamed of or to hide or unnatural. I would never honor that request. You are MUCH nicer than I for doing so!

It would bother me at first but she has a very particular way of viewing things. It took me a while to get use to her it doesn't bother me anymore and I like to do things that flustered her because it's comical lol (I've gotta do something to get me through the day). Now the other 2 ladies I work with are a different story. They treat me fine to my face but when I turn my back they are somebody totally different!

*edit for forgetting words
  • Happy Humpday ladies! I hope everyone is having a good week. Not much new here. School is getting more intense so that adds a layer to the juggling act. I am missing DS more than I thought I would and I am happy to be around adults. I am bummed about all the drama and people leaving, but I completely understand.
  • I've been working weekends and we're in the begining stages of selling our house and buying another...ugh.  I'm still full-time (working 36hrs...Fri-Sun), which has been great since I don't need a sitter for LO.  He's had someone else watch him 3 times this month I think?!?  I'm loving every second since I get the best of both worlds - SAHM and full-time nurse.  We are selling the house and getting a condo (MUCH cheaper) so that we can afford for me to be home with LO a little more AND afford the lifestyle we like.  Adios dream home, hello wonderful but small condo.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"