3rd Trimester

Raspberry Leaf Tea?

I have been looking into drinking Raspberry leaf tea, however, can't find any solid evidence of it working or not. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? (I'm almost 35 weeks along).

Thanks!

Re: Raspberry Leaf Tea?

• It was recommended to me.  With DD I didn't drink it too much because I didn't hear about it till the very end of my pregnancy.  Labor was 19 hours, contractions were irregular.  

With DS I ordered bunch of it.  I would brew a huge amount that I kept in the fridge in a big pitcher, so I drank a lot of it from about 36 weeks.  My labor with DS was almost exactly 4 hours from start to finish.  My contractions were VERY productive. I do believe it helped me. 
  • I think it does help, particularly with postpartum.  With DD I drank the tea and with DS I took the capsules.  DD's labor was 17.5 hours, DS 2hr 10min.  A day or so after I had DD the nurse came to check me, shook her head and said, "I can't believe you just had a baby your ute shrunk down so fast!"  It was the same with DS and they warned me the afterpains would be worse because he was my second, but I actually thought they were less, perhaps it was the capsules?

I recommended them to my cousin-in-law and she had the same experience with her second.  After she had the baby and her OB was saying how quickly she was springing back, she mentioned the tea.  Her OB actually wrote it down so he could read more about it, that's how interested he was in it!
  • Loading the player...
  • I drank so much of this stuff last time.  I was induced at 41 weeks and DS was not born until 41 weeks and 2 days via C-section after cervical ripening and pitocin.  It did not do much for me.  That being said it also did not hurt, so worth a try I guess.  Definatly not magic. 
    for SuzyQ and all who have lost

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I drank loads of it from 34 weeks. I went into labour on my due date, it was a short med free 7 hour labor. Was it the tea? I don't know, it's worth a try.
  • Ardmhs83Ardmhs83 member
    edited January 2015
    This is what the APA says.  I'm going to pick some up to, it can't hurt.  

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• I drank it constantly and have a short hour and half labor with already being able to push when I make it to the hospital.  I believe in it! :)

• I picked some up at Target last night... fx it works as well as I hope. 
  • I drank it three times a day starting at 35 weeks. I was 10 days late and was in labor for 24 hours. I had the shakes for the last half of my pregnancy. It got so bad, I was nervous to hold her after she was born. A couple of the girls from my BMB confirmed that they had severe shakes too and they drank the tea. Could all be coincidence. My ute did shrink down PP pretty fast though.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thanks all! Your feedback really helps! :)
  • I've been drinking it pretty regularly. From what I understand, it's supposed to help tone your uterus and make labor more efficient. There is no scientific evidence to support that, only anecdotal.

That said, it doesn't taste bad and doesn't hurt anything. Best case scenario, it's effective. Worst case scenario, it's about like drinking any other herbal tea. Eating dates during your third trimester is supposed to help soften and prime your cervix. There are a lot of little natural or homeopathic tricks and tips out there that some people swear by.

So yeah. It could help. It won't hurt.
  • I've started drinking it for about 2 weeks now. Days I drink it, it increases the braxton hicks so perhaps it is doing something. Fingers crossed.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • pixieprincsspixieprincss member
    edited January 2015
    My midwife (who also has done extensive herbalist schooling) encourages clients to work up to a quart a day of the tea by the third trimester and then continue on with that amount until delivery and beyond. I did it the last pregnancy and will again this time. I make NORA tea (which you can Google) that has many nutritional benefits in addition to the RRL uterine toning benefit.
  • I have been having a cup of this tea a night for about a week now. I'm interested in the pill form @sschwege where does one get those?

BabyFetus Ticker

• I've been drinking it since the 2nd trimester and figure it can't hurt. My midwives recommend it and nettle tea not only for the supposed uterus toning benefits but also because both teas contain a lot of vitamins and minerals that we don't get much in our usual diet. Vitamin K, iron, etc. that can really help during delivery with blood clotting and keeping you feeling well post-partum. It's my first baby, so I have no stories about rather or not it will help or anything to compare it to if it does.

I drink a 12 oz travel mug with 2 raspberry leaf tea bags every morning. 1 "pregnancy tea" or RRL in the afternoon, and 1 or 2 cups of nettle tea before bed. All of my teas are "traditional medicinals" brand if that helps. I need to look into making cold teas though to sip on all day, that seems a bit easier. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have been having a cup of this tea a night for about a week now. I'm interested in the pill form @sschwege where does one get those?
    I just ordered mine off Amazon, though I bet a place like Whole Foods would carry it as well.  @toadandbug12
  • I tried it briefly but It made me really sick :/ all the women in my family say it helps but I might be allergic or something
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"