Special Needs

Asthma mom

Can you share your protocol? What dr manages this pedi/ asthma&allergy /pulmo?

Re: Asthma mom

• My LO is 4 so only diagnosis is reactive airway at this point. We see a pulmonary Dr every 6 months or so. We are using qvar once a day as a preventative and albuterol twice a day/as needed during flare ups.
  • My son has asthma but it only flares when he is sick.  It took a lot of trial and error to figure out what works best for him.  For two years every time he would get a cold he'd end up with pneumonia and hospitalized.  We ended up getting him the adult pneumonia shot and was put on Flovent and Albuteral inhalers for two years. After two years of no hospital visits we decided to stop the daily medication and just start it at the first sign of a cold and continue until his cold and any residual breathing issues resolve.  This has been enough to keep us out of the hospital. Our pediatrician has been who has over seen all of this.
    My son is also very active and plays multiple sports, and unless he's sick his asthma has not been a problem at all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • ppantsppants member
    edited January 2015

I have twins and they were diagnosed with RAD (reactive airway disease) @ 10 mo old.  We started pulmicort nebulizer treatments then.  We did them twice a day and even a third time if they got a cold.  DD would go from a slight cough to coughing every 2 min within a 24 hours if she got a cold.  We would have to give oral predinsone too frequently for our pedi.  He referred us to an asthma/allergist.

DS and DD started seeing her around 2.5 years old.  She added singulair daily.  It did help quite a bit.  We also give zyrtec daily year round.  DS's sinuses get yucky and DD's nose runs incessantly without it.  She also did skin patch testing on them around age 4.  They were only allergic to alertnaria mold. 

I don't remember when the diagnosis changed from RAD to asthma, but it was at least by 2.5 yrs old.  They kids are almost 9 (!) and DS no longer uses a daily inhaler and is doing well.  We will try to drop the singulair soon.  DD uses her inhaler only 1 puff once a day and doing well.  Thankfully, the kids have never had to visit the ER or be hospitalized due to their asthma. 

ETA: wrong word

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"