LGBT Parenting
Options

Is That Baby Yours?? (Article)

edited January 2015 in LGBT Parenting
Interesting read for non-genetic parents, reciprocal IVF'ers, and even those who are genetically connected to their child and have a partner who isn't:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2015/01/15/is-that-baby-yours/

Would love any thoughts/perspectives! Good discussion topic :)

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
June'12 - First RE Visit
Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

Re: Is That Baby Yours?? (Article)

• Options
    CageyMack said:

This is a great share -- thanks @2MamazinSeattle!

Except that it wasn't just luck --I played as essential a role in her creation as any genetic parent and she would not exist if I had not helped will her to be.  I AM her mama.  
    Exactly this. I frequently tell Z that WE made a good baby. Sebastian wouldn't be here if it weren't for Z and he wouldn't be the same little boy that we both love so much without Z as one of his mommas.

Z has never seemed to care or be concerned or think about having a genetic connection to our children. I don't think it's a complicated issue for her simply because she doesn't put much thought into it. That's just Z. We all feel and know that we're equal partners in this parenting gig. I love when Ash does something that reminds me of Z and I tell him that he got that from his momma. We may have had some help from a generous donor, but he's truly a compilation of all 3 of us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great article @2mamazinseattle - thanks for sharing. I'm glad this is a conversation that we're seeing crop up in the media.

Our boys are definitely bits of both of us - though technically genetically tied to me.  Since I'm adopted I don't see other of my genetic family in them, instead I see EV, myself sometimes our donor - though not that often.  Owen even looks like EV though his expressions mimic my own.  While Kaden has a lot of my "face" with large streaks of EV's charisma and stubbornness (among other things).  It's hard for me to believe that she's not genetically related to them because it seems to me that she must be.  If we move forward with partner-IVF I look forward to having a child with her genes and my blood.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"