February 2013 Moms

Bringing Dinner after giving birth

Hi ladies,
My friend is due to give birth soon to her 2nd LO soon, and I'd like to bring her a meal or two after she comes home (I remember that being my most favouritest post-baby gift).  I know some of you have mentioned dropping off meals to friends in need so I'm looking for some advice. 

What's your favourite thing to bring someone?  My first instinct was lasagna, but she'll probably get a million lasagnas.  They like everything and have no dietary restrictions.  They have a  2 year-old DD already.

How do you package it?  I'm leaning towards disposable, aluminum dishes so she won't have to wash or return anything.

TIA!

Re: Bringing Dinner after giving birth

• A frozen crock pot meal of some sort. Throw everything in one bag and write the instructions on it. Also cut up fresh fruit was the best for me. I ate a lot of it, but there was no way I had the time or energy to prepare it myself.
  • Either a crock pot meal or disposable dishes. The best meals I got after E were ones I didn't have to clean up after! And you are right about lasagna. But you could do something like stuffed shells, or taco chicken, or pulled pork.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Loading the player...
  • Chili has been my most recent go to.  I usually give the mama a few options to pick from, but that's the one most folks have been picking lately!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• I would do a chicken dish with a vegetable and dinner rolls. I have a really easy chicken and rice recipe that I'd probably use. And definitely do disposable aluminum pans if you can!
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Definitely disposable pans and anything that is easy to freeze, assuming others will be doing the same thing. I do think you cant go wrong with lasagna but I have also done eggplant parm, chicken noodle soup.
  • In the winter I like to do a hearty soup (beef with veggies or somethin similar), crusty bread (or cheese and crackers), some cut up fruit, and brownies.  Bring in disposable pans so they don't have to return to you.  I like that they can freeze the soup if they need to.
    Mom to 3 year-old girl and 1 year-old boy
  • In the winter I like to do a hearty soup (beef with veggies or somethin similar), crusty bread (or cheese and crackers), some cut up fruit, and brownies.  Bring in disposable pans so they don't have to return to you.  I like that they can freeze the soup if they need to.

I agree with this. A heart soup is nice in filling and a nice break from the heavy casseroles. The cut up fruit is a nice touch too. I know I craved down freshness after all the pasta and such.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Anything I didn't have to cook was the best. I only had one person bring us food and she was my husband's ex-baby mama (from 18 years previous!) lol. Go figure. None of my friends or family did anything.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I like to do a chicken pot pie when I take meals.  I can tell you, the meals I got after this baby were:

Chicken and rice casserole

Brisket & coleslaw

Beef stew x2 (lol)

Lasagna w/garlic bread

Taquitos with rice

Taco kit (tortillas, chicken and pork, salsa, shredded cheese)

Most also brought some sort of desserty thing, like ice cream or cookies, which I really loved.  But honestly, any food brought after the baby is amazing. 

• For my BFF, I bought her a meal delivery service that brought her and her husband 2 meals a day (1 for each of them for dinner) for a week. It was something different each night that they didn't have to cook, healthy and made fresh that day. All that needed to be done was heat it up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Love all of the above ideas!  I second the lasagna, that is my go-to as well.

But as an additional idea, my brother (who is out of town) sent me a Lou Malnati's pizza.  I am a huge pizza lover, so this was a wonderful treat...and no cleanup!

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"