March 2015 Moms
Options

What to get ASAP?

Aeml1985Aeml1985 member
edited January 2015 in March 2015 Moms
So my shower is either going to be 10 days before my EDD (yes I know babies are on their own schedule and it's just a guesstimate) or after baby (by at lest 3 weeks), question is what do I absolutely need before she comes? I'd rather have doubles of things from my registry and be able to ask my mom to take things back for me than be rushing around right before or immediately after baby for essentials. We have: crib, mattress, crib bedding, bassinet, glider, cloth diapers and wipes(probably way too many), change table/dresser, stroller (on order), car seat, mamaroo, vibrating chair (only because bru had a good sale), 2 4oz bottles and some formula samples (in case of emergency), one soother, 6-10 nb sleepers, 10-15 0-3mth sleepers, breast pump and a couple novelty type blankets (minky, crocheted, etc).
Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
EDD: Feb 5, 2018

Re: What to get ASAP?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

PP's had great suggestions with the nursing essentials like nipple cream, nursing pads, nursing tanks, etc. Also, Post partum for momma is something to think about as well as far as cheap giant panties (especially if you have a C-section. You don't want panties rubbing on that incision!) Hugiemungous pads, Tucks pads/hemorrhoid cream.

And the only other baby item I can think of is a sound machine if you don't have one now. We used ours not only to help baby sleep, but to drown out some of the grunts and groans he made that kept me awake all night when he slept in our room.

• Options
    my only suggestion would be some "baby" washcloths. They are softer than regular ones and thus gentler on baby's skin. Also some baby soap/shampoo if you plan to use any (as opposed to just water), and hooded baby bath towels. 
  • Options
    I think everyone else covered it so far but my hospital supplied me with the following that were essential the first week:
    For me: Nipple cream, large pads, witch hazel pads, benzocaine, peri bottles to "spray" your sensitive bits when you use the bathroom, mesh underwear

For baby: nasal aspirator, diapers

Other essentials are wipes - my hospital only gave us dry wipes that we had to wet which we did use and I used cloth diapers after a few weeks but I still prefer regular baby wipes unless you are doing cloth diapers. Diaper cream, rectal thermometer, baby aspirin to have in case of an emergency, burp cloths.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Burp cloths?

It's not essential, exactly, but we absolutely loved our rock n play and used it as soon as he came home from the hospital. DS slept in the RnP at night and so will DS.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks ladies for the suggestions! I knew I was lacking on the mama stuff. I bought giant maternity panties so I think those will be ok post partum, but other than that i def need to pick up pads (have breast pads) and nipple cream and bum cream. Thanks for bum cream suggestion katty, I didn't know what kind of cd safe I should get. Glad the list of things to get isn't too terribly long!
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI

• Options
    Recieving blankets (the big ones) to swaddle your LO. Also I'd suggest picking up a pack of Gerber white long sleeve NB onsies with mitten cuffs! Basically anything long sleeve with mitten cuffs was what my DS lived in those first few weeks, his hands were too tiny for mittens.
    Also, don't forget yourself! Nursing essentials if you plan on nursing. I remember I sent my H out the day after we got home to get me lanolin and a heating pad because I was so engorged :neutral_face: and comfortable pads (I tried three different brands till I found a good one)

#1 BFP 11/6/12 EDD 07/19/13 Delivered 07/23/13 - Baby boy Everett John

#2 BFP 07/06/14 EDD 03/12/15

• Options
    gnomemom said:

Burp cloths?

It's not essential, exactly, but we absolutely loved our rock n play and used it as soon as he came home from the hospital. DS slept in the RnP at night and so will DS.

My baby started spitting up 2 days after we brought her home and had full blown reflux by week 2. We went through at least 30 soaked burp cloths a day until she was six months. Hopefully this won't be the case for you but I'd recommend at least five burp cloths since babies do tend to spit up anyway.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're cloth diapering so I have a ton of liners/prefolds that can double as burp cloths. Bough some lanolin today.

• Options
    I know every baby is different but my son absolutely loved being swaddled until almost 5 months. So the Velcro swaddles that babies can't break out of we're a lifesaver! Sounds like you have a good list. I need to get going on making sure we have everything from my first son ready to go here!
  • Options
    I agree with the other ladies who mentioned swaddling blankets. Seems like you are pretty covered though :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage image

Stopped BC 5/13
    Started temping/charting 9/13
    CP 11/13
    BFP!!!! 7/16/14
  • Options
    Along with the other suggestions, I made good use of my baby app on my iPad. I was so sleep deprived and crazy, I forgot what side I breastfed on last, or how many diapers I had changed. It was nice to have all her data when we visited the pediatrician.
  • Options
    You also might want some bibs just in case. You can never go wrong to have at least 2 or 3! :-)
  • Options
    LAB1983LAB1983 member
    edited January 2015
    "Other essentials are wipes - my hospital only gave us dry wipes that we had to wet which we did use and I used cloth diapers after a few weeks but I still prefer regular baby wipes unless you are doing cloth diapers. Diaper cream, rectal thermometer, baby aspirin to have in case of an emergency, burp cloths.

"

I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that aspirin is not safe for babies--it can cause Reye's syndrome. "Baby aspirin" refers to 81mg dosing intended for adults.
  • Options
    I knew that about aspirin

• Options
    Don't forget a gentle laxative, like Senokot to take daily for a few weeks. Post partum constipation is no joke and you don't realize there's a problem until it's too late. And if you happen to have a c-section it can strain/damage your stitches and make your recovery more difficult.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Thank you @LAB1983‌ for mentioning no aspirin for babies!!! Like @Carmar3‌ said, just Tylenol for babies :)
  • Options
    Sorry, I did mean infant's tylenol not aspirin!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wish I was as organized as OP.
  • Options
    Baby bath tub, baby nail clippers (usually they come out with pretty long nails) and some mitts so baby doesn't scratch her face. I also loved my nursing cover. Used it in the hospital even when visitors came. Also like other said don't forget about things for yourself for after delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"