May 2015 Moms

Car seat/stroller system decision time

We've been going back and forth on a few different systems and car seats but I wanted to see what everyone else has decided on or already has and will be using?

I know there have been a lot of recommendations, which are super helpful, but then I get confused and what I thought I wanted I don't want anymore. HELP! ~X(

Re: Car seat/stroller system decision time

• Britax b-agile / b-safe.
    That's my top choice but when we looked at the car seat at BRU for the travel system it didn't seem very cushion-y, did you feel that way as well?

• As a STM I say skip the travel system. I have one a chicco one. I love my chicco infant carrier, but HATED the stroller. I actually have 4 strollers and my favorite is my city mini, I just purchased a city mini double.
    BFP # 2 9/25/14
    Official Due Date 5/29/15 & HB 143 on 10/13; 11/25 Harmony Results perfect & it's a Girl!

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

Off BCP 5/2009
    TTC since July 2010
    DH's SA = Normal!
    Hysteroscopy 2/2011
    50mg Clomid / Progesterone 77.5 April 2011 = BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 53 May 2011= BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 44.3 June 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 15.7 July 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 14 August 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 32 September 2011=BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 14.9 October 2011=BFN
    First RE Appointment 11/2011
    Hysteroscopy 11/2011 & on Med break
    12/2011 Diagnosed with PCOS (Insulin Resistant)
    12/2011 Adding 1000 MG Metformin per day
    12/14/11 BFP
    Beta #1 664 Beta #2 3330 Beta #3 6160 Beta #4 19546
    Official Due Date 8/18/12 & HB 147 on 1/3; HB 171on  1/19
    Pre-term labor @ 29W bed-rest till Emergency C-Section

IT'S A GIRL

• Loading the player...
  • We got a graco fast action jogger travel system. It was 50% off on black Friday and my hubs couldn't pass up a great deal.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • emu0013 said:
    As a STM I say skip the travel system. I have one a chicco one. I love my chicco infant carrier, but HATED the stroller. I actually have 4 strollers and my favorite is my city mini, I just purchased a city mini double.
    So if you skip the travel system then you have to get an infant carrier and a separate stroller you like that will be compatible with the carrier you choose? 

• Uppa Mesa and vista
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image   image
  • I got the Graco Snugride Click Connect 30 car seat and the Graco Modes Click Connect stroller. I love how versatile the stroller is and the snugride 30 is supposed to be really lightweight. 
    May '15 January siggy challenge:
    * Me: 33, DH: 34 * Married 11.10.06 *
    DS 10.2.07 | DD 7.27.10 | 4 angel babies
    BFP #7 | EDD 5.15.15 | It's a BOY!
     BabyFetus Ticker  
    image  image
  • We are getting the Britax B Agile system. I loved what I read about it and then became completely obsessed after playing with it at BRU.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • texasmama15
    I was also leaning towards the Britax b-agile / b-safe

Any STM's and over prefer the joggers over the regular wheels?
    GBCB - Gone to the Dark Side

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We just got the Chicco key fit and will get the city mini
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Britax b-agile / b-safe.
    That's my top choice but when we looked at the car seat at BRU for the travel system it didn't seem very cushion-y, did you feel that way as well?
    I don't think babies care nearly as much as 10 month plus babies.  To be honest the most important factor is how it fits a small baby and some seats just don't.  The b ready fits a baby well at birth and has one of the best ratings from the car seat techs for everything.  A large percentage of babies grow to hate infant seats at 6 months or so which is where the padding comes if you have one of those kids, there really are no infant seats that would make a difference, it is about the size of the car seat.  I do own the B Safe and while I have owned more padded car seats, the baby did not care.  Padding is for comfort not safety and trust me, you care more than the baby.
  • emu0013 said:
    As a STM I say skip the travel system. I have one a chicco one. I love my chicco infant carrier, but HATED the stroller. I actually have 4 strollers and my favorite is my city mini, I just purchased a city mini double.
    So if you skip the travel system then you have to get an infant carrier and a separate stroller you like that will be compatible with the carrier you choose? 
    I did the snap and go, but you can also buy an adaptor for the city mini.
    BFP # 2 9/25/14
    Official Due Date 5/29/15 & HB 143 on 10/13; 11/25 Harmony Results perfect & it's a Girl!

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

Off BCP 5/2009
    TTC since July 2010
    DH's SA = Normal!
    Hysteroscopy 2/2011
    50mg Clomid / Progesterone 77.5 April 2011 = BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 53 May 2011= BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 44.3 June 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 15.7 July 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 14 August 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 32 September 2011=BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 14.9 October 2011=BFN
    First RE Appointment 11/2011
    Hysteroscopy 11/2011 & on Med break
    12/2011 Diagnosed with PCOS (Insulin Resistant)
    12/2011 Adding 1000 MG Metformin per day
    12/14/11 BFP
    Beta #1 664 Beta #2 3330 Beta #3 6160 Beta #4 19546
    Official Due Date 8/18/12 & HB 147 on 1/3; HB 171on  1/19
    Pre-term labor @ 29W bed-rest till Emergency C-Section

IT'S A GIRL

• We got a graco fast action jogger travel system. It was 50% off on black Friday and my hubs couldn't pass up a great deal.

We got this one as well. We were leaning towards getting it and then it went on sale so it was a done deal for us. A good friend of mine got the same one not too long ago and loves it!
  • jesslfar said:
    Britax b-agile / b-safe.
    I don't think babies care nearly as much as 10 month plus babies.  To be honest the most important factor is how it fits a small baby and some seats just don't.  The b ready fits a baby well at birth and has one of the best ratings from the car seat techs for everything.  A large percentage of babies grow to hate infant seats at 6 months or so which is where the padding comes if you have one of those kids, there really are no infant seats that would make a difference, it is about the size of the car seat.  I do own the B Safe and while I have owned more padded car seats, the baby did not care.  Padding is for comfort not safety and trust me, you care more than the baby.
    GREAT feedback, thank you!!!

• Chicco for the infant seat, with a Chicco Liteway Plus for the stroller. It works well as a light umbrella stroller for shopping later on.

I use a Schwinn jogger for all outdoor walking.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I've also heard that travel systems tend to be too bulky and not worth it. Since we live in the city and don't drive often, we borrowed my SIL's Chicco Key Fit (she had her baby last year, and has now moved to a bigger seat). We're getting a Snap n' Go to use with the car seat for the first couple of months, and then a City Mini GT for when he's a bit bigger. It's been highly recommend by a bunch of fellow Mom's.
    ***First-time Mom in New York City | Married 8.16.13 | Expected Due Date 5.29.15***

We are getting this as well but can't decide between the jogger or the fast action sport connect... I mean I don't really see myself jogging... so is there a huge difference between the jogger and the sport? They are both the 3-wheeled strollers.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are getting the Britax B-safe and the baby jogger city mini GT. However I am nervous that the accessory they sell for the Britax to attach it to the city mini will be complete shit. :-/
  • I have been using the Graco jogging stroller travel system and love it. It is a much smoother ride than typical strollers when outdoors. I will be using it with this baby as well.
                January Siggy Challenge

Praying for our May15 baby!          January 2014- Welcome Sweet Kimber!
    image     image
  • I haven't had an infant in almost 7yrs... How many STM actually used their strollers during the first 0-3 months? We live in the city and I'm thinking that I may just wrap/wear our LO for 3mo or so. Then again, it's going to be hot/summer and I don't want us both to be miserable & sticking to each other in the heat! I'm starting to sway towards just buying the carrier for now. Our local CL has tons of high $ strollers for a steal. @ajzmommy‌ .. That Graco set is a Boss! Is it hard to click into the different modes?
    DS1 & DS2 anxiously await Baby Ava Victoria May 18th!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    We got this one as well. We were leaning towards getting it and then it went on sale so it was a done deal for us. A good friend of mine got the same one not too long ago and loves it!
    I have a folder saved with what women on here have suggested previously and the graco fast action jogger travel system was actually suggested as preferred over the Britax b-agile / b-safe. (But I cannot remember why)
    If anyone remembers, please share. Cheers :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't had an infant in almost 7yrs... How many STM actually used their strollers during the first 0-3 months? We live in the city and I'm thinking that I may just wrap/wear our LO for 3mo or so. Then again, it's going to be hot/summer and I don't want us both to be miserable & sticking to each other in the heat! I'm starting to sway towards just buying the carrier for now. ?

I used the system a lot in the first couple of months. It's so nice to click it in straight from the car. Damned if I wanted to wake a sleeping baby to put her into my wrap to go into the store. Once she was about 3 months and awake and alert when we were out, that's when I started wearing her everywhere, and didn't use the stroller very much.

Pregnancy Ticker

• maritimememaritimeme member
    edited January 2015
    We are leaning towards this set. Great reviews, specs, safety features, light-weight technology, and you get a jogger instead of just a stroller. Plus-- only $200 for the set.

Be careful with Baby Trend.  I have heard several times that the lowest harness slot doesn't fit most newborns.  The straps are likely to be ABOVE the shoulders for quite some time when they need to be BELOW the shoulders.

ETA for typos

DD #1: March 20, 2013
    DD # 2: May 2, 2015
    EDD #3: March 4, 2018

• @jko454 - My sister and a friend of mine has one, and never had any issues with their newborn. But-- thank you! I do appreciate the feedback, and will double check prior to purchasing.
  • maggiet19 said:

I still have my Eddie Bauer travel system from DD. We will be using that (*I think*).

One thing on my to-do list is to check if the BOB revolution has a conversion kit that allows the travel system carrier to fit onto that stroller. If not, and if there is such a contraption, figure out which travel system carriers would work.  

Three years ago, my friend had a Graco infant carrier with a BOB stroller. I'm not sure if it was the revolution or not. There IS a metal bar that adapts the stroller. As soon as she felt able after delivery we were packing up the kiddo and meeting to go on walks, then eventually runs.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I need suggestions on a double stroller. I have a lo who is also going to want to be pushed around with Baby. I'm hoping to find one I can snap the car seat into and then use as two big girl seats later.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I am a huge, huge Britax fan. I have the kiwi b-safe as my infant seat. We also have the b-agile. I love that it's just snap and go. I can open and close the stroller with one hand. It's light enough to put in my trunk too. (We also have the Britax marathon and b-ready stroller). If you are considering having more kids, look into the b-ready. It can be used as a single stroller but is a little larger.
    I like how light the car seat is, it always rates well on safety tests, I thought it was cushioned enough and has side impact protection.
    We have an extra base for the car seat which is so nice. I don't like the snack tray for the stroller thou..
  • @jko454 - My sister and a friend of mine has one, and never had any issues with their newborn. But-- thank you! I do appreciate the feedback, and will double check prior to purchasing.
    You might be OK if you get one that comes with a beefy infant insert (not an after market insert). But often the average sized newborn doesn't fit properly until about 2 months.  FYI, I am a car seat tech in Canada, and also keep an eye on the US stuff, so although I don't know even close to everything there is to know, I'm am just trying to be helpful :)  I hope it doesn't come acorss the wrong way.

DD #1: March 20, 2013
    DD # 2: May 2, 2015
    EDD #3: March 4, 2018

I have a folder saved with what women on here have suggested previously and the graco fast action jogger travel system was actually suggested as preferred over the Britax b-agile / b-safe. (But I cannot remember why)
    If anyone remembers, please share. Cheers :)

Thank you, we're first timers and I put this one on my registry (for insanely kind people that apparently wish to buy me gifts for successfully procreating ;) ) and I'm excited to know people like it. Phew, that's one worry down. 6 million to go!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @staccajaye - I prefer to have a regular stroller and a separate jogging stroller. The jogging stroller can be a little bulky so i'd rather have a smaller one to keep in the car with me at all times.
    May '15 January siggy challenge:
    * Me: 33, DH: 34 * Married 11.10.06 *
    DS 10.2.07 | DD 7.27.10 | 4 angel babies
    BFP #7 | EDD 5.15.15 | It's a BOY!
     BabyFetus Ticker  
    image  image
  • We are leaning towards this set. Great reviews, specs, safety features, light-weight technology, and you get a jogger instead of just a stroller. Plus-- only $200 for the set.

We got this as a gift for DD1 (this was almost 3 years ago so they may be different now) the car seat didn't come with any kind of padding on the belts and it really dug into my daughter's neck and left red marks. I found it much harder to tighten than the chicco keyfit which we ended up using. I know several people who love it so maybe it was me. The babytrend jogging stroller is great though!
  • jerica14 said:
    We got a graco fast action jogger travel system. It was 50% off on black Friday and my hubs couldn't pass up a great deal.
    We are getting this as well but can't decide between the jogger or the fast action sport connect... I mean I don't really see myself jogging... so is there a huge difference between the jogger and the sport? They are both the 3-wheeled strollers.
    I have the fast action sport on my registry right now, with a jogger on there too, mostly to keep my eye on it. We are thinking about getting the travel system ourselves and might keep the jogger on the registry... 

This is the fast action we're eyeing. I like it because it's not as expensive as a jogger, but still only has the one wheel up front. 

We have the same one on our registry - although this color/combo is not in stores for us.. so I also registered for the one/color combo they had in the store. The jogger was on sale on Amazon the other day... but I am trying to hold off til our shower(s). This is first grandchild for both our families so I have a feeling our larger items will be purchased for us :) hopefully! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Graco Fast Action jogger/sport stroller on Amazon are both the same price right now $199 for stroller + carseat. It won't let me post the links says "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links". 

Hopefully it's just a glitch with all the recent stuff going on. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a Graco Snugride 22 (classic connect) and a 2011? uppa baby vista with the attachment for the graco seat. I think it is a fantastic stroller and since we bought an older model, it was more reasonably priced.

The new model seems pretty sweet, but I wouldn't pay that much for a stroller (850 or something).
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • kj808 said:

@staccajaye - I prefer to have a regular stroller and a separate jogging stroller. The jogging stroller can be a little bulky so i'd rather have a smaller one to keep in the car with me at all times.

Really!!!! Thank you I didn't even consider that.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I need suggestions on a double stroller. I have a lo who is also going to want to be pushed around with Baby. I'm hoping to find one I can snap the car seat into and then use as two big girl seats later.

My boys will be 2 years apart. I was looking at the city select and going to get the second seat but I tried them out and my son is way to tall. I was really a fan of the stadium seating and that it can go back to a single stroller and just buy the glider board as our son gets older.

Now I'm looking into the Phil and teds navigator and second seat. Found an awesome deal second hand.

My sister gave us the contours double stroller. It's tandem seating and bulky but it has a large basket underneath and you have many different seating options. We will use that for big outings to the zoo and such over the summer.
  • We are almost team B-Agile/B-Safe, mostly because it seemed to have all we wanted and the price for the set is hard to beat. Then I started reading so-so things about the B-Agile (TOO light, rolls away, not enough storage space, wheels wear down very quickly) and I began to have my doubts. It's not out of the running, yet -- and enough of you seem to be going this way too that I feel I was right with my initial instinct -- but we're still in the research phase. The colour choices don't bother me, though I do agree with PP about the all-black potentially being too much in the summer sun. I think the beige (what fancy name did they give it? "sandstone"?) will suit us just fine, I just hate that it costs more than the all-black!

Maybe it's because it's the middle of winter, but I also feel as if I am disproportionately worried about how any stroller will handle in the snow. I'm going to be a SAHM with a dog that needs to be walked twice while DH is at work. We walk in all weather, all temperatures, 365 days a year, so I need a stroller that can do 2 miles in the snow/day if need be. STMs or anyone else with experience here: do I need to be as worried as I am about this, or should I be confident in the ability of most strollers to handle okay on a snowy sidewalk? I've been eyeing the big-wheeled jogging strollers for this reason, but in all reality there will be no jogging and no going on dirt trails, so I don't know if that is overkill.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • SeventyThreeSeventyThree member
    edited January 2015
    texasmama15 said:

@texasmama15 I believe so! In talking with a few STMs I learned that the manufacturers lead you to believe that you can't really mix brands between your carrier/stroller, but that there is actually a decent amount of compatibility across brands. Not ALL brands, mind you, so you still have to make sure the seat will fit into your stroller of choice, but I don't think mixing and matching is as difficult as some might think. That was something of a weight off for me, I don't want to end up settling for a stroller/seat that I think is subpar just because it's part of a travel system.

ETA: meant infant carrier, not car seat. That is a whole other topic, haha!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"