October 2014 Moms

Your favorite crockpot meals

So our oven door has been wonky since we moved into our place in April. It finally straight up just came off a couple days after Christmas. I live in a three family home and the owner is an elderly woman who lives below us. Although we have a great relationship, and she's mentioned several times that she's just going to replace the whole oven, it's been nearly three weeks! Can you imagine not having use of an oven for that long in the winter?? Anyway, yesterday she went to the ER in an ambulance due to health problems--she's ok, but I feel awkward bringing up the oven again right away. "sorry you went to the hospital.........about the oven....."

So we are making due, but I'm running out of recipe ideas for the crockpot. Got any favorites?

Re: Your favorite crockpot meals

• Sorry about your oven and land lady! Hope you get it fixed soon!

I just made some pot roast similar in taste to the one at Bob Evans. (LOL) but, its good and easy.

A beef roast, 1 packet of ranch dressing mix, 1of italian dressing mix, and 1 packet of beef gravy mix. Put the roast in crockpot and sprinkle mixes over top. Add one cup of water and cook on low 8-10 hours. Serve over grilled texas toast or mashed potatoes.

I use the leftovers to make melts. Add the meat to leftover grilled texas toast ir sourdough bread along with a piece of American cheese. Yum.

Yes to this flavor combo. We use a chuck roast and it falls apart it's so tender. Yum!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married 11/5/11
  • Loading the player...
  • I've m ade chicken n dumplings a few times and its pretty easy.

1 Pound of chicken
    1 can of chicken broth
    1 can cream of chicken
    1 can cream of mushroom
    2 tablespoons of butter
    Chopped carrots (I use about half a pack if baby carrots)
    Chopped celery (about 4 stalks)
    1 small pack of refrigerator biscuits

Cook everything but the biscuits on high for 4-5 hours. Then remove the chicken. Shred it with 2 forks, and return it to the pot. Then cut the uncooked biscuits up into tiny pieces, add them to the pot and let it cook for another half a hour to an hour. I also like to sprinkle in some black pepper at this point. Its really good and its easy to double if you want leftovers, which would probably be a good idea for you right now.

Also, BBQ pulled pork is super easy. Just get boneless pork chops or a pork roast or boneless ribs, whatevers on sale. Put it in the crockpot with some BBQ sauce and a little bit of water. I also like to add a little pickle juice or you could use relish or not add it at all. Cook for 4 hours on high and then shred the pork. Return it to the pot and stir. Its great for sandwiches or serve it over rice. This is also great for leftovers.

That sucks about your oven and the whole situation! Good luck!

• Second the dumplings recipe from @staryb‌

Also love meatballs in the crockpot and so easy! Frozen meatballs, can of jellied cranberry sauce, and bottle of chili sauce. Put them on hoagie buns and top with cheese.
    January Snow Fail

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @crawford411 I was just about to say red sauce! Good call. I do mine a little differently but now I'm interested in adding zucchini like you.

imageimageimage
  • We do a really simple pot roast. Just mix one can of coke (or a diet version since that is what we keep in the house) and a packet of pot roast dry mix together and throw in a chuck roast. When it is done, sprinkle au jus dry mix on top and let sit for about 5-10 minutes. Then remove and eat! You can do any combo of veggies in it to as a side (carrots, celery, etc)
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Also, I just made this the other day and it was amazing. It's not crock pot but all stove top. It reheats really well which makes it fantastic for leftovers.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My fave is shredded chicken of any kind!

Package of fresh (not frozen) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1/2 can of chicken broth
    Cook on high 3 hours, shred, voila! I usually make soup out of this.

You can also do the above and throw in a jar of pesto. I use this to make quesadillas with mozzarella and bacon. =P~

Or you can use the chicken, a packet of taco seasoning and a jar of salsa for mexican recipes. We like to make nachos.

Or you can use chicken, a packet of chili seasoning, and a can of tomato sauce to make shredded chicken for chili! :)

Or butter, ranch seasoning, and franks red hot for buffalo chicken sandwiches!

We make all of these in the crockpot and they are delicious!!
  • The only thing we use the crock pot for is italian meatballs and sausages. But the pp recipies sound good! Maybe I'll try using it more.

I make the meatballs then brown them in a pan and throw them in the crockpot all day.
  • I stock up on the Williams-Sonoma braising bases like coq au vin, beef bourguignonne, chicken cacciatore... crockpot chicken cheesesteaks (chicken, beer (can use broth instead) Worcester sauce, peppers, onions, smoked paprika, and any other spices you may want to add. Shred chicken with an hour left and shred cheese over it 5mi prior to serving and then spoon onto rolls.

I have a few more but will check when I'm off mobile.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• I LOVE cooking in my crock pot. I just got a ninja crockpot for Chritsmas, I can't wait to finally use it this week.
    Here are a few I have done 

Slow Cooker Pork Chops 
    If you like mushroom - I throw in some fresh mushrooms

Pulled BBQ chicken for sandwiches

Slow cooker Philly Cheese steak sloppy joes

Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches

Slow Cooker Carintas 

Hope this helps a little!

View Full Size Image
  • I pretty much cook every dinner in my crock pot! I'm obsessed with it!

My favorite is making a rotisserie chicken! https://www.number-2-pencil.com/2013/03/13/slow-cooker-chicken/

Also!! For all you ladies who love your crock pot and use it often, I HIGHLY recommend the crock pot liner bags! They may be a little pricey, but they are totally worth it to not have to scrub the pot!
  • Aarg said:
    I pretty much cook every dinner in my crock pot! I'm obsessed with it! My favorite is making a rotisserie chicken! https://www.number-2-pencil.com/2013/03/13/slow-cooker-chicken/ Also!! For all you ladies who love your crock pot and use it often, I HIGHLY recommend the crock pot liner bags! They may be a little pricey, but they are totally worth it to not have to scrub the pot! image
    I LOVE the liners!! sometimes they leak a little but clean up is SOO easy

View Full Size Image
  • We bought a crockpot just to make ribs and my husband now won't let me make them any other way. 

I just remove the membrane from baby back ribs, season them front and back with garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper and put them in the crockpot with a bottle of beer. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Once done, transfer to baking sheets (be careful they tend to fall apart) brush BBQ sauce on top and broil for a minute or two until the sauce bubbles and sticks to the ribs. Serve with extra BBQ sauce, potato salad and coleslaw. 

• Ooooo... The Rotisserie chicken one made me think of another.

I kind of made it up but its delicious.

Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks

6 drumsticks (or thighs, I like dark meat)
    2 tsp salt
    1tsp paprikra
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp dried parsley
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix together spices and rub on chicken. Place in a single layer in bottom of crockpot. Cook on low 4 hours. Broil in oven for about 3-5 min before serving to crisp up skin a little.

Ive done this with or with out skin on and both are good.
  • Made this on Monday, it was delicious!

Slow Cooker New England Clam Chowder
    Ingredients:
    4 1/2 C potatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp garlic
    1 C onion
    1/2 C celery
    4 - 6oz cans clams
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 - 1 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp thyme
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
    1/4 C flour
    3 1/4 C half and half
    6 slices of bacon
    1/2 tbsp bacon grease

Directions:
    Peel and chop potatoes into small bite site pieces, add to crock. Chop onion and celery. Mince garlic. Cut up bacon slices into small pieces.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic, onion, and celery, then sprinkle with thyme and red pepper flakes (if using). Cook, stirring frequently until heated through and very tender. Transfer veggies to crock.

Add clams with juice to crock. Stir contents well. Add flour, salt and pepper and stir again. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours or high for 5 hours.

When 30 minutes remain, stir in half and half. While that begins to warm through, heat up the large skillet again and cook bacon pieces to crispy. Remove bacon pieces and 1/2 tbsp bacon grease, stir into chowder just before serving and mix well.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Aarg said:

I pretty much cook every dinner in my crock pot! I'm obsessed with it!

My favorite is making a rotisserie chicken! https://www.number-2-pencil.com/2013/03/13/slow-cooker-chicken/

Also!! For all you ladies who love your crock pot and use it often, I HIGHLY recommend the crock pot liner bags! They may be a little pricey, but they are totally worth it to not have to scrub the pot!

Live savers!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Here is one more - I plan on trying this next week, havn't tried it yet

Cauliflower and potato soup 

View Full Size Image
  • Bookmarking this thread....
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards