Preemies

New and born at 28 weeks

hey guys. I'm new here. My son was born at 28 weeks and 1 day in September. Today he is 15 weeks (almost 1 month corrected) and he's doing pretty well. What do you guys think about synagis? And how do you deal with their neediness?? It seems like I can never put him down or else he screams and screams and screams. He screams in his swing after 5-7 mins, screams in his chair after 10 mins. I don't know what to do to keep my sanity. It's like he has to be attached to me alllllllll day! Am I a bad mother for wanting to put him down and do things like clean the house or maybe use the restroom?!

Re: New and born at 28 weeks

• First of all, congratulations on your son!! I am so happy to hear he is home and doing well! We were fortunate enough to get synagis. we had absolutely no side effects (I don't know anyone who has) and our insurance covered them 100%. If you can get them I would.

My son didn't like the swing or anything either. He needed to be swaddled when I put him down for a long time. Are you swaddling and if so, tightly? Maybe a carrier would give you some freedom to move around?

You certainly are not a bad mother. You are human. It will get better!!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We had 29 weekers who came home in January, so we did Synagis through March, I believe. If you can get it, and insurance covers (and even if it doesn't, there's a solid CoPayment Program in place to help).

As for the screaming -- we had one kinda like this -- what worked for her was the 5Ss. Lots of swaddling, shushing, swaying, etc. She was pretty feisty and difficult at that age.

Hang in there! It does get better, I promise. I also encourage the use of ear plugs if you find the screaming is cutting to your core -- we used them, especially when they were hysterical at times during the MOTN, and it really helped take the edge of their cries so we could stay calmer.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations and welcome!  I think we decided against synagis because our pedi thought that DD was at low risk and she said it was a really painful shot for the baby.  Plus, I don't think it was covered for us.  So, not much help for you there.

But DD was a really needy infant.  It was quite difficult.  I found that wearing her was the only thing that helped.  When she was really young, I liked the woven wrap best.  I think she just needed to be nice and close and cozy.

Congrats again and good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you all so much for helping me!!

Conner hates being swaddled he's like the master escape artist. I'll swaddle him nice and tight like I was taught in the nicu and I'll come back and his arms will be out and he'll be wiggling out of that thing! Haha

I've realized he just wants to be held more often and he wants what he wants when he wants it! I've been putting him to sleep on me then transferring him to the bed. Of course he'll wake up and notice I'm not there but that's fine.

And we were talked into synagis by his doctor yesterday. I guess these doctors know what's best huh
  • My daughter got two doses of synagis and got RSV anyway.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image imageimageimageimage
  • My daughter got two doses of synagis and got RSV anyway.

Oh that's horrible. I'm so sorry Do you have an idea of what led to her catching it or it just happened?
  • she's in daycare (unfortunately), and with so many kids around she just caught it.  I think she's finally over it now. ugh.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"