Virginia Babies

anyone else NOT vaccinating in VA?

Hey Ladies , my husband and I are expecting out first baby Nov 10th! We have decided not to vaccinate her and are meeting with our first pediatrician on monday. Does anyone have any advice for finding a pediatrician that will cooperate, or how to talk to them? I'm worried that because it is so controversial that i will shut down and not be able to have a proper conversation ( thank you hormones!) .

Re: anyone else NOT vaccinating in VA?

• Hi!  I'm in MD and I'm due in January with my first baby.  

My husband and I have been talking about the vaccination schedule too.  It's too aggressive and way more shots we were given as children in the late 70s.  

I'm not against vaccination, but I do believe you can ask your pediatrician what their views are on having an alternate vaccine schedule or not vaccinating at all or if they have other patients who choose not to vaccinate.  Follow your gut.  If they get cagey, don't want to answer your questions, or feel like you are wasting their time, find someone else.  They will probably not want to have you for a patient anyway and you want to be able to talk freely to a doctor who is providing care for your child.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi! Congrats to you!

thank you for your encouragement :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm from VA as well and you have to vaccinate your child if you're going to put them in public school, you have to have a medical reason why the child cannot be vaccinated, however you can delay and space out the vaccines, so she isn't getting 2-3 shots at a time.
  • There are very few Pediatricians in the RVA area who support non-vaxing, but they do exist.  I'm blanking on their names, ATM, but you can check out Richmond Birth Junkies and the NAP groups on FB. Someone recently asked the same question and I can't seem to find the thread. You can, in fact, send an unvax'd child to public schools, but you will have to sign a waiver and have your doctor sign a waiver (I believe it's called a religious or medical exemption form) and if there is an outbreak, your child will be asked to stay at home. Each of the school systems in the RVA area are a bit different in their policies and I wish I could tell you what they were. Much love and luck to ya, mama.

Children are a blessing from the Lord! 

• I have trouble finding out this info on Facebook. IdK what to do
  • I'm from VA as well and you have to vaccinate your child if you're going to put them in public school, you have to have a medical reason why the child cannot be vaccinated, however you can delay and space out the vaccines, so she isn't getting 2-3 shots at a time.

Not exactly true.
    My 3 kids are in VA schools and have not been vaxxed since 2011. We had a form notarized for exemption from the school district. It is a religious exemption. They have had vaccines but are not fully vaxxed.
    We did have a pediatrician refuse to see them but that is their right just as its my right to seek new Drs if I don't feel comfortable with their treatments.

• My daughter is due August 1, and my husband and I are undecided about vaccines. We know that if we do decide to vaccinate, it will be on a very delayed schedule and likely only one injection at a time. I have found a doc in my area who is willing to work with either decision. My choice raised some questions among coworkers, as I work in a primary care office, but have chosen to see a pediatrician instead of one of the doctors with whom I work and know. I have chosen another caregiver because I feel like she will not try to coerce me to change my mind. I am terrible even in the smallest of confrontations and feel like if I take my daughter to someone who is very pro vaccine, I will cave in to the pressure.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • We chose to vaccinate and no issues with my 3 year old. We will do the same with our daughter when she is born next week.